Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for a new livery yard

Options
  • 31-12-2008 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hey, we are thinking of opening a livery yard in the north wexford area and are just looking for some advice from people in the business?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Hi I'm not sure whether any of the users here are in the livery business but they are all super at letting you know whats what and what clients want I found that when I was looking for livery everyone was well informed good luck to you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I am not in the business but have been paying these businesses for their services for years so i thought i'd reply.

The first things I would look for would be:

Big clean stables & beds
    Sufficient turnout - at least every second day
    Turnout adequately fenced and secure
    Large floodlit arena
    Owners living/ being on-site
    Sufficient security i.e. tack room, main gates etc.
    Quiet hacking

Any queries feel free to give me a shout.

Lou

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

There have been quite a few threads re. livery in the forum. If you have a quick look through some of the older threads on this topic you may find some useful tips, etc. that may help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

OP it depends on what clients you will have and how much you will charge for livery/month.

Turnout
    Good turnout is essential. I would divide the paddocks so a max of 2 horses can go together. Make sure the fencing is good and try to seperat adjacent field with double railing to avoid horses fighting over the fence/jumping into other fields.

Other Stuff!!
    Good facilities are essential. Some sort of large area where people can cross tie there horses (NOT in the walkway) for grooming etc is important. This could be used for washing/shoeing/vet stuff also. For me these activities should be seperate from the stabling area as people bring horses through might get kicked/obstrcucted. Also a clean dry space for feed and tack is essentail.

Exercise Areas
    A large all weather arena is important. Preferably with some shelter. Perhaps some sort of lunging paddock also. Doesn't cost alot and is great to keep people out of the arena when lunging which can be hazordous to other users.

Customers
    Also i would suggest you lay down the rules immediately and stick by them. Ensure people pay you on time each month by standing order perhaps. This avoids chasing people for money and creating tension. Always keep a professional relationship with your customers. It is not easy done but will benefit you in the long run. Avoid organising to many thing for too many people. If they want the farrier etc you may supply them with numbers but avoid being the middle man. This will also benfit you in the long run. List what your duties will be and supply it to your customers. There should be no grey areas in the livery business. People will try to take everything they can (Not all but most!!).

It is easy to build a nice yard, but not so easy to build a quality professional service. Remember this is what you are doing, providing a service. The terms of this service should be concrete and transparent to you and your clients. Start like you mean to set out and best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

togster wrote: »
    If they want the farrier etc you may supply them with numbers but avoid being the middle man.

I would have thought that the easiest thing would be to have a yard farrier who calls once a week or so to do whichever horses need doing (as per owners listing horses on a noticeboard). Farriers fees to be paid in advance or added to regular bill...

For me the ideal livery would be:-
    • Daily turnout/exercise on horsewalker if available
    • Clean, well maintained boxes
    • Hay/Haylage and basic feed to be included any supplements to be provided by owners
    • Catch/hold for farrier/vet/dentist as arranged by yard
    • Secure storage for tack
    • Arena
    • Suggest including clause in contract that you will call the vet without owners consent in emergency where you cannot contact the owner

Nice to have:-
    Daily groom
    Rugs changed
    Tack locker
    Indoor arena
    Weekly tack clean

Deffo get everything in writing and payment up front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

See what I mean plenty of advice. The yard I've used is very good and offers a great service and I would think it has it right.

It includes
    Endless quiet hacking
    Lovely indoor stabling 14'x14'
    deep clean beds fresh shavings daily
    lovely lit outdoor with sand and fibre surface
    locked tackroom and lots of storage for rugs and any other gear
    coffee room with fridge and storage for food and snacks
    wash down for the horses
    tie up area
    Very large outdoor being added in the summer
    lessons available and you are welcome to bring in an instructor
    Daily turnout in groups of two (huge amount of land)
    horses are hosed down brushed and rugs changed when they come in
    etc etc. all veterinary care taken care of etc there is good horsemanship

What I like best is that is small and offers a personal flexible service

Also not mad money some yards I found too pricey.

I wish you luck it seems such a tough business.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dufferman

thanks for all your help. do you guys think that there is a demand out there for livery at the moment with this recession we are in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

Any chance you can pm me what area you are in and cost per month if you have available places once your set up :D

I'm working for the summer to pay for horse and parents have agreed to pay livery if I get a good price they will also pay maintenance.
    I just need to save up to actually buy the horse.

Advertisement