Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Airsoft going to be here for long to come?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

hey guys i have just got an AEG for xmas and love it

I know there is a lot of threads covering this debate but will airsoft be here for much longer after seeing it in the news and talk about new legislation coming in early '09.

I just want to know for difinte before I start buying a lot airsoft stuff eg. camo tac vest etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭donmaga1

Do gooders in the government want to ban REAL handguns. These people think airsoft guns are leading to gun crime. There are so many airsoft guns around the country I don't see the government putting I ban on the sport. We may have to join a governing body.

If the government pulled there figure out and went after the real firearms that are been held illegally the country would be safer.

The government are going after airsoft because it is easier than going after the real issue.

Legally held fire arms are as dangerous are the person holding them. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Airsoft will be around for years to come as long as we keep it safe and honest. If there is a ban we have to be vocal and hound are T.D.s and get them to do the right thing.

I collect airsoft guns and if there is a ban I will not be handing them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

more opinons would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Stevo93 wrote: »
    hey guys i have just got an AEG for xmas and love it
    I know there is a lot of threads covering this debate but will airsoft be here for much longer after seeing it in the news and talk about new legislation coming in early '09.
    I just want to know for difinte before I start buying a lot airsoft stuff eg. camo tac vest etc
    Welcome to Airsoft. Yep We're going to be around for a while.
    What AEG did you get ?
    Where are you located?, you should arrange to visit a site if possible and talk to a few of the lads, that's your best bet if you are really interested in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

or go here, you can pretty much catch up on everything, and let a sigh of relief

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442074

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

tonky wrote: »
    Welcome to Airsoft. Yep We're going to be around for a while.
    What AEG did you get ?
    Where are you located?, you should arrange to visit a site if possible and talk to a few of the lads, that's your best bet if you are really interested in the sport.

Thanks
    i got a g36k for xmas

a few of my mates have started airsoft too

we went up to HRTA 2 or 3 weeks ago to see if we liked it and what can i say it was a great day out

im from balbriggan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

If your in balbriggan your within spitting distance of most of the sites, fingal in stamullen, hrta in ballyboughal, drogheda airsoft and a bit further away you have the warehouse in coolock. Get out and try these sites, the other skirmishers aswell as the site owners will be full of info for you to help you out.

Most are on here too so you get to know people fairly quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭trentf

Airsoft is going to be here for the long run. One thing people haven't thought about is this, if the government did try and ban airsoft they would have literally hundreds of legal cases brought against them.

All that money people have wasted on airsoft equipment, they wouldn't just hand over their equipment without wanting compensation. Besides that there are just too many devices out there to be collected. Nope this is just the government being its usual reactionary ignorant self and trying to blanket ban an item which 'looks like a gun'. It is classified as a toy so theres pretty much no grounds they can use for banning it. A good job by the iaa has also ensured and educated them on this.

Once the government realises how much money is involved in airsoft i.e economic gain for them and the benefits to the public health ie outdoor they'll change their mind, they already have they changed their position from blanket ban to saying now its an offense to be carrying in public so pretty much you can gaurentee its here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Sinister747

Personally i don't think they could ban it, i do feel they will restrict it.. maybe even make us register that we play airsoft (possibly even what guns), i dunno either way i think we are pretty safe hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not to draw a downer, but I did some research into the whole " if they ban airsoft their not taking my equipment"

Firstly its worth noting, there is no record/ database maintained by the Government to actually keep track of users and airsoft guns.

So from the off they would find it very difficult.

Also, once something is passed through government and into law as illegal, its highly unlikely you will have a leg to stand on regarding keeping it. But as I said , they have no way to find out who has what, but should you get caught with it. Your in trouble.

Obviously the more law minded individuals here can give more on this. But saying everyone would sue is a rather stupid comment in fairness. Thats like saying if they banned ciggerettes tomorrow, that there would be thousands of law suits because we can't get our fix.

There would be legitimate and real cause for banning them in the first place, and in fairness, unless you want to start a revolution, you have to deal with it.

Like i always say, I can sleep guilt free, because i didnt vote those shams into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

If Airsoft becomes illegal I'm going straight back where I was "underground" I have my own backup plans,but I say make hay while the sun shines and enjoy every minute of it! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Like i always say, I can sleep guilt free, because i didnt vote those shams into government.

Ahhh, but do you vote them out? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Jimbobak47 wrote: »
    I'm going straight back where I was "underground"

what are you the A-Team ?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

Yeah why not!! ah yes I love it when a plan comes together! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Not to draw a downer, but I did some research into the whole " if they ban airsoft their not taking my equipment"

Firstly its worth noting, there is no record/ database maintained by the Government to actually keep track of users and airsoft guns.

So from the off they would find it very difficult.

Also, once something is passed through government and into law as illegal, its highly unlikely you will have a leg to stand on regarding keeping it. But as I said , they have no way to find out who has what, but should you get caught with it. Your in trouble.

Obviously the more law minded individuals here can give more on this. But saying everyone would sue is a rather stupid comment in fairness. Thats like saying if they banned ciggerettes tomorrow, that there would be thousands of law suits because we can't get our fix.

There would be legitimate and real cause for banning them in the first place, and in fairness, unless you want to start a revolution, you have to deal with it.

is there not a record of every gun imported or bought from an irish retailer by means other than cash?

not that it would matter, they would simply say right these are banned, anyone caught with one will get 12 months or whatever, your circumstances would be taken into consideration and then a senntenence handed down accordingly.

of course if youre caught outside the post office but have 30 previous convictions and youre father is a drunk dole cheat who alledgely beats you then all the better. you'll get the benefit of the probation act yet again.(cough... cough... Kinkstr:pac:)

if you have 10 aegs/gbbs however youd no doubt be described as some paranoid gun nut, god help you if youre caught with a glock.

there wouldnt need to be any legitimate reason for them to be banned, once youre seen to be doing something about the media engineered atmosphere of fear of crime/guns/drugs ect, and you win some votes with a couple of thousand soft eejits, thats all that matters to any scumbag politicion.
    common sense unfortunately isnt the anti-dote to the ignorance and hysteria of the general public.

to answer the OPs question, an outrigth ban is unlikely but not impossible so its a risk you have to take, but you dont need to spend more that €100 on cammo & a vest, that and an aeg is all you really need to skirmish. and boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Thread has really run it's course now tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement