Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review: Nokia E71

• 31-12-2008 10:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So have been using the Nokia E71 since Christmas day and thought I would put my inital impressions to the forum.

My previous phone was a mess since day one. The 6300 XpressMusic was slow, unstable, had poor battery life and the music player was just a mess. It didnt seem to "fit" into the overall phones system.

So I moved onto the E71 mainly due to its business features and better battery life. First impression when I opened the box was that it was very lightweight. As others have said in reviews in the past its odd that Nokia decided to make the power button red rather then having it blend in. An unusal choice of colouring. Not a huge fan of Nokias power buttons - there a bit awkward to press in order to get a reaction.

The battery cover is nice but the main disadvantage being your finger print is all over it! Turn it around and you have your full qwerty keyboard. For those mainly used to the standard keyboard it definately is a big change. I used to be a quick typer but the new keyboard has slowed me down (and im used to qwerty keyboards). Some commonly used characters are on the keyboard already and the others are easily available in the character menu. Also general shortcuts for Menu, Calendar, Phonebook and Email. These can all be changed. I like being able to define all my shortcuts on the screen itself - makes using my commonly accessed applications very easy.

Screenwise I am very impressed - nice landscape display. Perfect for browsing the web. Speaking about the web, the feature to pick up wireless networks saves a lot of money and is very useful. Inserting keys on secured networks is also easily done.

Features...the very basic version of Office is useful along with PDF Viewers. The office could be made a bit better without going over the top. Other features I have yet to try include printing, scanning and the translator.

Installed my applications quickly and easily also. Mode switching is useful if you want different displays for outside office hours. Other useful feature includes the advanced call messanger which allows me to block unwanted callers by creating a black list, allowing only calls from my phonebook or whitelist, etc. Very handy I must say.

Camera is 3.2mp which is grand for those not a big camera user. Its auto focus so the picture looks crap at first then cleans it self up. Not used the Video feature or other camera features yet.

Battery usually lasts two days and a bit with a good bit of web and texting. Not many phone calls. The charger location is back to the old way - at the bottom of the phone. Memory card and USB are under little plastic hoods - like my old phone but a lot more flexible to move about. Headphone is now at the side of the phone.

Its a fast phone for launching applications and any delay is usually minor. Phone comes with a data cable and the PC Suite. Also a memory card, unlike the E51.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Thanks for the review Sully, was looking at getting one myeslf just before christmas but the price put me off (3pay).
    I'm keeping an eye out on adverts for one to show up at the right price.
    Gorgeous phone by the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

If anyone wants a play with one the 3 store at the top of Grafton Street has a working on display (in one of those perspex holders).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

good first impression! my favourite phone ever!
    You won't regret your purchase :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Price is very expensive. I had to fight to get a discount. I dont think its worth the price.

I dont think the display models do it any justice tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Personally, I believe that the E71 is the best business phone available in the irish market at the moment.

I definetley recommend it.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Price is very expensive. I had to fight to get a discount. I dont think its worth the price.

I dont think the display models do it any justice tbh.

Disagree! Compared to anything similar it's not expensive! The features, specs, speed, battery life and THAT built quality...
    I'm not saying it's not expensive! But comparitively?!! Treo pro's more expensive! The moto q9h was more expensive! treo 750v was more expensive. Etc etc...
    And what DO you mean by 'display models don't do it any justice'? Don't get it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

strecker wrote: »
    Disagree! Compared to anything similar it's not expensive! The features, specs, speed, battery life and THAT built quality...
    I'm not saying it's not expensive! But comparitively?!! Treo pro's more expensive! The moto q9h was more expensive! treo 750v was more expensive. Etc etc...
    And what DO you mean by 'display models don't do it any justice'? Don't get it?

Its very cheap on Bill Pay but expensive on Pre Pay. There was no loyalty discount given for long term customers. The phone was over priced by o2 compared to other networks. The phone is very similar to the E51 which I am trying out at the moment (well, okay there are big differences but not sure it warrants a price hike). Just felt the phone didnt deserve to be priced at €400.

The display models I looked at in o2 and Vodafone were crap. A few people said that to me since when looking at the phone since I got it. Now, the phone demos I saw were not actually turned on. *shrrugs*

Its very cheap on Bill Pay but expensive on Pre Pay. There was no loyalty discount given for long term customers. The phone was over priced by o2 compared to other networks. The phone is very similar to the E51 which I am trying out at the moment (well, okay there are big differences but not sure it warrants a price hike). Just felt the phone didnt deserve to be priced at €400.

The display models I looked at in o2 and Vodafone were crap. A few people said that to me since when looking at the phone since I got it. Now, the phone demos I saw were not actually turned on. *shrrugs*

Ok, got it ;)
    It's actually very different to e51 - despite the design similarities!
    As to pricing: who knows how they come up with their prices? So, your o2 model: when youi press and hold space-bar, does the browser start?

strecker wrote: »
    Ok, got it ;)
    It's actually very different to e51 - despite the design similarities!
    As to pricing: who knows how they come up with their prices? So, your o2 model: when youi press and hold space-bar, does the browser start?

All I have noticed so far is a smaller screen, not as good battery life, and less applications loaded. They seem to be very similar with the E51 being the "dummed down" version.

Pressing space bar down doesnt start the browser for me anyway. :)

All I have noticed so far is a smaller screen, not as good battery life, and less applications loaded. They seem to be very similar with the E51 being the "dummed down" version.

Pressing space bar down doesnt start the browser for me anyway. :)

Same on my lady's e71...weird! It's a standard shortcut on all s60's and my voda e71 has it!

• Advertisement

Whats the latest firmware available on Vodafone for the phone?

Advertisement