Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Reg cars

Options
  • 31-12-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

When I was a kid back in the 70's I'd swear i saw cars without any reg plates driving around this time of year. Then in the new year they would regsister them for the new plates.
    Mind you this was the west of ireland, but did dealers let new cars of their lot back in the day with no regs??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

From 1987 to the early 90's in went on.
    "for reg" was used

But they didn't have the year the reg pre 1987 so what difference would it make back in 1970's.
    Having said, I don't understand the old Irish regs or even able to read a UK reg :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yeah, back in the 80's - I rememeber a guy who used to buy a new golf or jetta and drive it for 9 months "for reg" and with the plastics on the seats and then trade it in 3 months later for another new one only to do the same thing again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Good ol' Reg he was a lucky guy with all those cars for him :D

Was a very common sight

Then,like now,the Gardaí were supposed to enforce the laws but couldn't be arsed.

The yellow plated VRT dodgers are our modern 'For Reg'

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

The odd "FOR GER" used to appear also - maybe it preserved the gender balance...

Advertisement