Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now Thats What I Call The Telly 2008

• 31-12-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭

Hurray for RTE! I saw they were about to air a program to show the best of TV for 2008 - good idea. A modern Reeling in the Years. Lovely... should be good.

Nope. On the last night of the year, they decide to put out the unfunniest crap they've put out in a long long time. A sketch show with terrible editing, terrible 'comedy', and terrible commentary from RTE celebs. One of the commentators is Ian Coppinger - wouldn't surprise me if that gimp was involved in writing the comedy.

Maybe they want to start the new year with a clean slate?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its VERY confusing and VERY badly presented. Its terrible. Shocking.

EDIT:: Presenter seems to be out of sync. Also is he afraid of the camera? Always seems to be very far away from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS THREAD!

OMG.. this is exasperatingly bad! What were they thinking? It's not funny at all, it just leaves me slightly bemused and almost frustrated watching it.

They're all laughing at themselves..and it's like..what are you laughing at?!?

/changes channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Is it badly dubbed too? or just really, really slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think peeps may have thought this was in some way shape or form serious?

Stars on Electric Stairs has a future I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Bit about cork was funny.

• Advertisement

Dickie Rocks thrash metal shape throwing wasn't bad.

All Eddie Hobbs was missing was a bible :D.

It's actually not all that bad... apart from Marty Wheelan...the guy's just not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

its so unbelieveably bad. done straight and it would have been grand. so let me get this straight, we pay for that crap and watch ads too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

themadchef wrote: »
    All Eddie Hobbs was missing was a bible :D.

It's actually not all that bad... apart from Marty Wheelan...the guy's just not funny.
    easy on the drink dude!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

ABSOLUTE CRAP PROGRAMME FOR RTE TO SHOW ON NEW YEARS EVE

Mark Cagney was probably right to pull those faces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Oh god worst thing I've seen in AGES! Watched the first three minutes and switched it off. Trying to do a Harry Hill perhaps?! God it was bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

the john waters/grainne seoige bit was great, as was the soupy norman with original polish dialogue & english subtitles.

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Oh god worst thing I've seen in AGES! Watched the first three minutes and switched it off. Trying to do a Harry Hill perhaps?! God it was bad.

the other 57 minutes were amazing. who is harry hill?

snapshot20080127110618.jpg

yes, from the looks of that picture they were "trying to do a harry hill" alright.

Harry Hill is just the best comedian ever. He does a show on utv 'Harry Hill's Tv Burp' where he picks out like funny bits from shows during the week and basically just sneers. Saturday evenings, you gotta catch it sometime! Anyway this rte show was awful, rest of the family saw it... Said it was brutal.

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Harry Hill is just the best comedian ever. He does a show on utv 'Harry Hill's Tv Burp' where he picks out like funny bits from shows during the week and basically just sneers. Saturday evenings, you gotta catch it sometime! Anyway this rte show was awful, rest of the family saw it... Said it was brutal.

post me some harry hill links!

I can't! I'm on this on my phone (yes i have no life) so i don't know how! Sorry! But try youtube. He is hilarious!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    easy on the drink dude!!

New years resolution No 6: Get more feminine avatar ....

It was the Cork bit that put you over the edge right ;)

Bernie Walsh on RTE 2 now... :o lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Fairly brutal alright. Saw it advertised in the paper as being presented by Barry Murphy and thought it might be an ok look back at tv highlights.........Shoulda known better. Apart from about 5 mins worth of minor comedy the rest was ****e. The same old faces trotted out again and again.

The Tubridy show is shaping up to be nearly as bad......Thread will surely follow.

Damn the missus for working tonight and damn me for thinking staying in wouldn't be so bad. Again, shoulda known better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Brutal ****e. I think it's time for everyone to stop paying their TV license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Thank fuck for Christy Moore on TG4!

also pretty great was pat kenny listing the late late audience prizes. this stuff is wasted on you folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

Pure car crash tv, some bits were funny but it was so dragged out.

My boys and husband enjoyed it, especially Eddie Hobbs and Mary McAlese being introduced to the Irish rugby team.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There's nothing enjoyable about Eddie Hobbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this wasn't harry hill, this was barry murphy, but maybe a hour of barry murphy changing what people are saying is too much, can't believe people thought it was serious, it was quite amusing.

it seems tv3 got talking heads asked them some question and made fifty, x of 2008 programmes out of it.

this is way better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

this wasn't harry hill, this was barry murphy, but maybe a hour of barry murphy changing what people are saying is too much, can't believe people thought it was serious, it was quite amusing.

it seems tv3 got talking heads asked them some question and made fifty, x of 2008 programmes out of it.

this is way better
    I can't believe that you believe that people thought this was serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I can't believe that you believe that he believed that people thought this was serious. :)

This was supposed to be a funny show and it backfired horribly. Smiling once or twice in the whole hour can be considered "quite amusing" (loosely interpreted). Some of it was pretty clever - the real cork accent, the seoige bits, the late late prizes, the first nationwide bit (which lost its funniness the 3 or 4 other times they did it). Many many more misses than hits. I smiled a few times overall, I didn't laugh once.

Mr E wrote: »
    Many many more misses than hits. I smiled a few times overall, I didn't laugh once.

RTE comedy in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Just caught a bit of it any thought it was serious but going horribly wrong, then copped that it was a p!ss take. Really disappointed to see that it was Barry Murphys branchild. I remember when he used to be funny :o

But then again, being fairly rubbish seems to be the only way to get guarenteed work in RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I gave it ten minutes, it was awful. You could see what they were trying to do, but the fcuked it up royally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

did anyone actually watch sopy norman how many eps did that have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Again, more blind pack hatred of RTE by Boards.ie members.

The show was one of the funniest things on RTE for a long while. do, however, agree that some jokes where multi-purposed too much, namely the Eddie Hobbs bit and the Nationwide section. Others fell slightly flat, like Celebrity Stairs, but overall it was great. From the fantastic use of Michael Carey from TV3 to the lampooning of othr shows that use the nominal format of this show - the long angle, out of synch, senseless host lines where intentional, something many of you seem to have missed.

Jenny Hudson was the only 'guest' that didn't play well - on a side note, I looked her up online because I had no clue who this idiotic American reject was and I found her Wikipeadia article that was a rather disturbing mixture of this Hudon person editing her own artice and the work of a far-too obsessed fan. I felt the unressitable urge to destory their work and make something closer to an article. How precious my time is.

The other guests were very game and played their parts very well, especially considering most are not actors. And allowing me to be excuriatingly sexist for a second, Nuala Carey's top was fantastic.

As a one off it was brilliant, but it's not a concept you could make a regular series off of (based on Irish things, anyways) unless you did something else along the lines of Soupy Norman.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Syferus wrote: »
    Again, more blind pack hatred of RTE by Boards.ie members.

Well, its a large forum. I'm sure everybody doesnt despise RTE on Boards and most people see things as they are. They cant all be wrong. Its not one big site where all the RTE haters hang out :p I dont think RTE is that bad, its not great, but its not ****e.

However, this was complete RUBBISH! Shockingly bad. RTE are replaying a lot of their home made stuff constantly over the last few days and im getting fed up watching the same rubbish.
    The show was one of the funniest things on RTE for a long while. do, however, agree that some jokes where multi-purposed too much, namely the Eddie Hobbs bit and the Nationwide section. Others fell slightly flat, like Celebrity Stairs, but overall it was great. From the fantastic use of Michael Carey from TV3 to the lampooning of othr shows that use the nominal format of this show - the long angle, out of synch, senseless host lines where intentional, something many of you seem to have missed.

By making the thing ****e, to try come of as funny, seemed to make most people look as if it was ****e. Now that you seemed to understand and state they made it ****e to be funny - well, fair play to RTE. You gotta hand it to them - they really do know how to make rubbish TV and Boards.ie users really are right :P

I didn't understand what they were trying to do. Found the commentators repeating themselves or copying others annoying. Didn't understand the jokes really. Seen better takes on things and understood. This was badly done and came out as rubbish as they wanted it to - but people aint seeing the funny side to it.
    Jenny Hudson was the only 'guest' that didn't play well - on a side note, I looked her up online because I had no clue who this idiotic American reject was and I found her Wikipeadia article that was a rather disturbing mixture of this Hudon person editing her own artice and the work of a far-too obsessed fan. I felt the unressitable urge to destory their work and make something closer to an article. How precious my time is.

And you give out about Boards.ie users :p
    The other guests were very game and played their parts very well, especially considering most are not actors. And allowing me to be excuriatingly sexist for a second, Nuala Carey's top was fantastic.

See above comments.
    As a one off it was brilliant, but it's not a concept you could make a regular series off of (based on Irish things, anyways) unless you did something else along the lines of Soupy Norman.

Brilliant? Do you work for RTE? Is your partner working with RTE? Come on, tell us your connection. Nobody in their right mind could say it was brilliant now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I gave this 8 minutes tonight before switching off. You can see where they were going with the satirical talking heads format. It was woefully scripted and so far wide of the mark that it was embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

My god that crap was on again Tonight!!

they just kept repeating the same things overandoverandover again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I thought it was alrite.

Nowhere near as good as Soupy Norman but not as terrible as being made out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I googled this to see if there was a review of the show anywhere, and there just happened to be a thread on boards.ie where I already have an account.

This show was terrible. The material was already written for them, i.e. the TV events of the year. All that was left to do was edit it properly and add a bit of humourous continuity. And could they manage that.... no

The show was confusing, even down to the numbers/categories/whatever they put as billboards before introducing each item. I normally love Barry Murhpy, cant believe he was involved with this terrible, unfunny rubbish.

Sully wrote: »
    Well, its a large forum. I'm sure everybody doesnt despise RTE on Boards and most people see things as they are. They cant all be wrong. Its not one big site where all the RTE haters hang out :p I dont think RTE is that bad, its not great, but its not ****e.

However, this was complete RUBBISH! Shockingly bad. RTE are replaying a lot of their home made stuff constantly over the last few days and im getting fed up watching the same rubbish.

By making the thing ****e, to try come of as funny, seemed to make most people look as if it was ****e. Now that you seemed to understand and state they made it ****e to be funny - well, fair play to RTE. You gotta hand it to them - they really do know how to make rubbish TV and Boards.ie users really are right :P

I didn't understand what they were trying to do. Found the commentators repeating themselves or copying others annoying. Didn't understand the jokes really. Seen better takes on things and understood. This was badly done and came out as rubbish as they wanted it to - but people aint seeing the funny side to it.

And you give out about Boards.ie users :p

See above comments.

Brilliant? Do you work for RTE? Is your partner working with RTE? Come on, tell us your connection. Nobody in their right mind could say it was brilliant now!

I'll take up that one point - most objective people seem to agree that Boards.ie is weighted against RTE, even when it does something good. There's alot of people wo dagree but in many cases thy are bombarded into submission or not even bothering to disagree with the mob opinion. You can apply the same to other topics on other forums, but for Boards.ie most people like taking shots at RTE even when they do something good or, in the case of the 'Nuacht in the middle of movies' thread, where the issue is not even RTE's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Reckon Mary O'Rourke knows she is taking part in a spoof?

But surreal for a politician to be at that guff but hey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Very very bad. Unwatchable.

I think I've given it more time than most. I'm on 11 mins

Switched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

just switched on tv now and words could not describe the sh1te that was just displayed on TV. I could not believe this cack.

I was even more surprised when I found out that this was a repeat of what was on last night. Why??

How can anyone say that this was funny. It was the biggest load of crap I have ever seen on RTE. Complete rubbish:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Absolutely horrific

Who is Jenny Hudson? Googled her and got Jennifer Hudson who I seriously doubt appeared on an RTE show.

On a sidenote the show was dreadful, an absolute joke though was anyone expecting anything else off of RTE ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Sully wrote: »
    Its VERY confusing and VERY badly presented. Its terrible. Shocking.

EDIT:: Presenter seems to be out of sync. Also is he afraid of the camera? Always seems to be very far away from him.
    Yeah, that was the joke. The thing was supposed to be a total piss-take, I found it humorous.:)
    Plus I love Marty Whelan :D
    Who is Jenny Hudson? Googled her and got Jennifer Hudson who I seriously doubt appeared on an RTE show.

On a sidenote the show was dreadful, an absolute joke though was anyone expecting anything else off of RTE ?
    Jenny Huston from 2fm.
    Edit: Cant see that she did much wrong on tv? she seems quite pleasant to me. I like her show. I heart Marty more tho:P

Opps, meant Jenny Hutson, a putrid late-night 2fm host.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Opps, meant Jenny Hutson, a putrid late-night 2fm host.

that's a terribly low insult from the comfort of your nickname and keyboard to someone who happens to be in the public eye

they can't all be as radiant, clean and whatever else as the likes of you

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You can apply the same to other topics on other forums, but for Boards.ie most people like taking shots at RTE even when they do something good or, in the case of the 'Nuacht in the middle of movies' thread, where the issue is not even RTE's fault.

Huh? How can you say that showing a news programme in the middle of a film isn't RTE's fault? They do the scheduling ffs. Sure there might be a public service obligation, but I doubt the time is set in stone, and it's not like they'll be showing films at that time every day outside the Christmas period. I don't mind people defending the likes of RTE when it's justifiable, but this point is complete nonsense and undermines any credibility your arguments might have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i sat there for 5 mins with a beer trying to figure out wtf was going on before i changed channel:eek:..

Such a terrible terrible program

Zaph wrote: »
    Huh? How can you say that showing a news programme in the middle of a film isn't RTE's fault? They do the scheduling ffs. Sure there might be a public service obligation, but I doubt the time is set in stone, and it's not like they'll be showing films at that time every day outside the Christmas period. I don't mind people defending the likes of RTE when it's justifiable, but this point is complete nonsense and undermines any credibility your arguments might have had.

The time actually moves about in short patches, to accomodate films that are a few minutes from ending, but you ignore the fact that these films almost always (apart from, say, Christmas Day when there are no adverts and the Six-One is five minutes long) have to end before the Six-One, meaning the film in question's choice is defined by it's size anyways by requiring it to have finshed by 6pm.

The whole requirement for the news to have anything approaching a stable schedule has to be equally applied to Irish and English langauge news and, as I said on that thread, there would be absolute up-roar if the Six-One was on at 7:30pm because RTE wanted to show us Star Wars end to end first.
    Rightfully, news comes before films.

So, completing this off-topic excursion, no - that in no way undermines the fact Boards.ie has an in-grained bias against RTE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement