Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worlds toughest Town

Options
  • 31-12-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Is Limerick Still being featured on that documentary "The Worlds toughest Towns" with the journalist Donal McIntyre? Its starting this week on Bravo I think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

First im hearing of it but ill check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Given some of the ****e that's on about "Britain Uncovered" etc, they've got some cheek.

I know Limerick has a dodgy side (I'm not that blinkered) but to compare occasional (if severe) gang-related stuff to regular thugs and drunk idiots causing severe carnage is pretty blinkered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

What a croc of... Limerick is nothing compared to what's outside the Western World.

I would rather take my chances in Moyross (Which I grew up in when I was young and still live quite near it) then the streets of Rio de Janeiro, Tijuana or Mogadishu.

Worlds toughest town my eye, sure Dublin is just as bad if not worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

What a croc of... Limerick is nothing compared to what's outside the Western World.

I would rather take my chances in Moyross (Which I grew up in when I was young and still live quite near it) then the streets of Rio de Janeiro, Tijuana or Mogadishu.

Yea Dublin is worse i'd say. Them english city's are fair bad too. The police are better but the scumbags are far more numerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

TheLoc wrote: »
    Yea Dublin is worse i'd say. Them english city's are fair bad too. The police are better but the scumbags are far more numerous.

Do you mean them english cities like Dublin !!! :rolleyes: lol.. sorry couldn't resist

• Advertisement

What?
    That doesn't make any sense. why would you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm from Dublin.

Based on the stories I've heard from people that have lived in Limerick for their whole lives, Dublin is nowhere near as bad.

Everyone has different opinions. I have cousins in Bray. one of them was held by scumbags with an injection of blood to his throat. They told this was aides and robbed him blind. then they beat him.
    There are stories everywhere but I think the limerick ones are far more publicised because its like a gossip column in the news. everyone wants to know how bad it is. I've been here 14 years and a few bad things have happened. but not as bad as a vile of blood held to my neck.

Sean_K wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin.

Based on the stories I've heard from people that have lived in Limerick for their whole lives, Dublin is nowhere near as bad.

Sean how could a "culiche city" be more violent then the "big smoke". What all us inbred lower class know about this kinda thing??? YOu are obivously a more intelligent man than i (has u can tell by my grammer).
    Go fcuk urself!!!

baza1976 wrote: »
    Sean how could a "culiche city" be more violent then the "big smoke". What all us inbred lower class know about this kinda thing??? YOu are obivously a more intelligent man than i (has u can tell by my grammer).
    Go fcuk urself!!!
    Jaysus.... Someone woke up on the wrong side today. I don't think sean was saying anything offensive. SETTLE DOWN

• Advertisement

Go fcuk urself!!!
    Jesus if that's all you have to do to get an aggressive reaction from a Limerick-man then QED.:p

haha :o

Sean_K wrote: »
    Jesus if that's all you have to do to get an aggressive reaction from a Limerick-man then QED.:p

Well I'm just sick of people from outside of the city with no personal experience of Limerick downing us.

Sean tell us the stories you have heard?? I wil be able to tell you ten stories to show dublin is not any better than Limerick.

I don't think we need to be applogitic to anybody who is going to claim how much better their town/city is versus Limerick. Makes me bloody angry when people jump on the media band wagon.

We should be strong in opinions of our city.. while I agree I was too strong in my first response to Sean. Sorry Sean.
    But it Still P***es me off when some has heard a " story" lets here them Stories!!!

Well I'm just sick of people from outside of the city with no personal experience of Limerick downing us.
    I thought I was being fairly reasoned in my original post when I specifically said I live in Dublin and that my opinion was based on stories.
    Sean tell us the stories you have heard?? I wil be able to tell you ten stories to show dublin is not any better than Limerick.
    Well one of the points I've heard is that Limerick is a much smaller place than Dublin. Both Dublin and Limerick have dodgy spots however in Dublin, it's fairly easy to completely avoid the dodgy spots. In Limerick however, people must travel through them as part of their routine.

I've also heard of people having run-ins with unpleasant types and getting continuing hassle about it. In Dublin, you have a run-in with someone in a club or pub and you'll probably never see them again.
    I don't think we need to be applogitic to anybody who is going to claim how much better their town/city is versus Limerick. Makes me bloody angry when people jump on the media band wagon.
    I think other posters in this thread are just as guilty of hopping on a media bandwagon as me with the references to the English cities.

Documentaries are produced to get viewers and a lot of them aim to have a shock factor. They will expose the very worst elements for an area. I'm sure there are English people who would completely disagree with the image portrayed of their city in one of these documentaries.

When you see stabbings, rapes, drug-wars and pitched-battles all in the space of a 30 minute documentary, it probably makes out that things are worse than they are.

If this documentary does go ahead, they you're not going to like it.
    But it Still P***es me off when some has heard a " story" lets here them Stories!!!
    The stories are mainly about opportunistic muggings, joyriding and hassle in night-clubs so I wont bore you with them as I'm sure you're sick to death of them, but one of the more memorable ones, which is perhaps entirely anecdotal was that houses don't sell in the dodgy estates not just because they're dodgy but because the local scummers will be around and demand, less than politely, "Get outta my house kid!".

Maybe this is all wrong, after all, I'm pretty far away here on my high horse in dublin, but it's what I've heard, and I've never really experienced it in Dublin.

The facts are that hype and exaggeration sells, so ALL so-called "documentaries" on the tabloid-style stations will do the same thing. RTE is even guilty of it at times when it comes to Limerick, for some reason.

What Sean W said in relation to the effects of Limerick being smaller is true, in the sense that if you stood up to a scumbag in Dublin you probably wouldn't run into them again, while you might if you were in Limerick.

But there are 2 additional factors. Firstly, for some reason anything that happens in Limerick is either exaggerated to imply that it affects the whole city or used as an excuse to list anything that's happened for the last ten years, making it look worse and secondly - because of the above - Limerick people are - rightly - defensive of their city, but maybe slightly overly-so.

I mean, shows like CSI make Las Vegas and New York look desperate, and even EastEnders makes living in London look like a crap excuse for a life, but there isn't a big furore about "our city isn't like that!"

If the media stopped exaggerating and people who don't know Limerick stopped taking cheap shots, it'd let Limerick people relax about the insults and then it might become "normal" - a city with its share of thugs and scumbags but with 99.9% of decent folk - just like anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Following on from the last post, I think it's the reporting from the Irish media that gets up Limerick peoples' backs the most. It will inevitably report it with a slant implying the city is in some sort of lockdown. If they just referred to the specific areas where the troubles occur than we could call it balanced reporting. As it is its just sensationalist nonsense that will continue to irk those who care about their city.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hallstatt

Lynn - Massachussetts,Thoughest town ive ever been in.Been in and worked in many rundown projects around the world but this place takes the biscuit. Its like the michael jackson thriller video.Gunshots every couple of hours is the norm.
    “Lynn, Lynn,
    The city of sin.
    You don’t go out
    The way you came in.”
    “Over there is a crack house,” said lifetime Lynn resident Drew Russo as he gave me a tour of his hometown. “It got busted a few months back, and all the dealers and hookers had to leave. Oh, and over there, on the left…that’s another crack house.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 blow_in

Ummm..
    Massachusetts is a state...
    Granted, its not very big...but still a state...
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

as an ex merchant seaman i have been in some bad ones -like kingston-baltimore-and new york but i must say the worst one is nearer home and that is the city of salford- manchaster it has the highest population per sq mile in europe all of them scumbags

blow_in wrote: »
    Ummm..

LYNN in mass!

• Advertisement

blow_in wrote: »
    Ummm..
    Didn't he say Lynn?

Sorry bout that-thanks for editing it!
    :D
    There are loads of places within the states are are super dodgy. Ya just hear more about the things that happen in Limerick due to it being so small. It doesn't help that the media blow everything outta proportion as well.
    The scumbags may spray paint titties on Richard Harris but at least they are not beating homeless people and hookers to death..
    Least that we know of...

getz wrote: »
    as an ex merchant seaman i have been in some bad ones -like kingston-baltimore-and new york but i must say the worst one is nearer home and that is the city of salford- manchaster it has the highest population per sq mile in europe all of them scumbags

Yea salford is pretty bad too.Couple of mates livin there, visited them a couple of times.Home of mancs indigenous scum. St.louis is another crazy hole. The only city in the world where ive ever actually feared for my life.

hallstatt wrote: »
    Yea salford is pretty bad too.Couple of mates livin there, visited them a couple of times.Home of mancs indigenous scum. St.louis is another crazy hole. The only city in the world where ive ever actually feared for my life.
    I have only ever driven thru St. Louis and that was enough for me. I had to get gas and was terrrified just to go in and pay for it! Super dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i had a problem in salford 3 years ago when on security in the shopping centre one gang member put a shotgun to my head and said if you hadent been a mank i would have pulled the trigger -i said smile you are on camera-he did a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doh!

Its great to see that we are all supporting each other.

Limerick is a small place. This adds to the problem and explains some of the resentment that decent people have against anyone who dogs Limerick. Its a natural response to defend our city, it does not deserve the rep that it being given.

The hardest part about living here is we all know its a small minority of scum that are getting us the bad press and we all know who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Dublin has three times the headline crimes (rape/murder/armed robbery/assault/GBH/etc) than Limerick, per capita.

Limerick has less than the national average in crime.

Limerick has less crime per capita than Cork.

Half the murders in Ireland every year take place in the Dublin metropolitan area (this doesn't include murders in the surrounding counties which are when people are taken from Dublin and killed in the countryside).

Around 75% of the drugs in Ireland come through Cork.

Galway has more than double as many rapes per year than Limerick.

Etc, etc, etc

I'd go on, but I wouldn't want to upset TC.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

to be fair i think the reason for the drug smuggling in county cork is because of its large coastal area and tharefore supposidly easier entry into the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Its great to see that we are all supporting each other.

The hardest part about living here is we all know its a small minority of scum that are getting us the bad press and we all know who they are.

..yes and the fact that sweet tcuk all is being done to deal with these scumbags.

"nice half a million euro car there bud, shur isnt the social welfare great"!

"oops burnt my house out again!, I'm such an accident prone fool! Lucky i have a council full of bloody TWATS that will give me a new one, and in a lovely new estate where everyone else will be working the rest of their lives to pay off a mortgage on a property that my presence alone is going to devalue, ah well must run, have to get the local kids to shoot up a few of the neighbours houses!"

• Advertisement

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    to be fair i think the reason for the drug smuggling in county cork is because of its large coastal area and tharefore supposidly easier entry into the country

Oh for people to have the same response regarding Limerick...."to be fair" followed by a vaguely relevant excuse.....

It's a pity that the city can't be incorporated or something so that we could sue for libel......

I mean, if someone could somehow PROVE it was "the world's toughest town", then let them print / broadcast it, but in the obvious absence of proof (given that there is none) then they should be sued.

I mean, if we gave extensive coverage to "Sky - the world's crappiest TV", they'd probably try to sue us, even though it's closer to the truth than the slur on Limerick.

Advertisement