Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worlds toughest Town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Limerick has less crime per capita than Cork.

Cork is at least ten times bigger than Limerick. But there seems to be ten times more scumbags in Limerick ?.

BTW, I love both cities and visit them regularly, but I always feel more unease in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

dh0661 wrote: »
    Cork is at least ten times bigger than Limerick. But there seems to be ten times more scumbags in Limerick ?.

BTW, I love both cities and visit them regularly, but I always feel more unease in Limerick.

bit of an overstatement really..id say given the two greater city areas cork might be just over twice the size..population wise that is..the statement i made above with easy smuggling etc is probably true..nothing to do with cork people like, its usually foreigners bringing that stuff in..and i wasent 'defending' limerick either..i dont really mind people saying stuff about different places..sure its a forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Well a "per capita" figure takes into account the differences in sizes between the cities. I genuinely dont know how anybody can feel more uneasy in Limerick if they are in the city centre than any other city centre (I assume that's where you would be visiting)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doh!

Interesting.....would your "unease" have anything to do with the media coverage?

Or, do you just have a fear of anyone who you perceive to be a scumbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Interesting.....would your "unease" have anything to do with the media coverage?

Or, do you just have a fear of anyone who you perceive to be a scumbag?

+1 ... Good post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

And you're at least ten times as wrong as you think.

Metropolitan Cork (Cork City and surrounding suburbs) is roughly 190,000.
    Metropolitan Limerick (Limerick City and surrounding suburbs) is roughly 100,000.

So about twice as big, not "at least ten times".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭miders

my my my what an interesting read!!!!!!

personally im born and bred limerick....if that makes me a culchie so be it!
    i know it may be unusual but i go out a fair bit and have never witnessed a crime or act of violence.now i know encountered scumbags..and agree the city doesnt look its best at 2am but what city does?i drive home after a night out and see a few hoodies hanging out .....but i also saw this living in cork and dublin.i dont think its fair the media image that has been protrayed of limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Dear god. Have you had a formal education?

Metropolitan Limerick (Limerick City and surrounding suburbs) is roughly 100,000.

Someone had to point it out, it really shouldn't have come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

Nothing to do with anything and completely off topic but the population of Cork City Metropolitan area is 2750,000. The overwhelming majority of Cork City is outside the city boundary if you include outlining towns eg Cobh that figure reaches 380,000. Sorry bit of a hobby horse of mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Cork
    I know wikipedia but based on cso tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

rebs23 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with anything and completely off topic but the population of Cork City Metropolitan area is 2750,000. The overwhelming majority of Cork City is outside the city boundary if you include outlining towns eg Cobh that figure reaches 380,000. Sorry bit of a hobby horse of mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Cork
    I know wikipedia but based on cso tables.

Well you said/typed it yourself the overwhelming majority is not in the city. But as you also said it's completly off the topic. This thread is getting boring. zzzzzzzzz I'm off for a sandwich.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

And back to the original question....;)

MacIntyres Underworld started tonight on Bravo and was about the younger members of a crime family in Manchester. I definitely read a few months ago in one of the local papers that MacIntyre planned to record an episode here but dont know if it ever happened.

http://www.darefilms.co.uk/prodtv.aspx

His site lists all the programmes so dont know which are new but the one aired tonight is the third one down.

baza1976 wrote: »
    Well you said/typed it yourself the overwhelming majority is not in the city. .:rolleyes:[/QUO
    For the sake of completeness of understanding and because I'm feeling pedantic, the majority of Cork City is administered by Cork County Council (similar to Limerick) so therefore to the real population of the city including these suburbs administered by the county is as stated above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Where is everyone getting their stats and figures? I'd like to see something official.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Both Dublin and Limerick have dodgy spots however in Dublin, it's fairly easy to completely avoid the dodgy spots. In Limerick however, people must travel through them as part of their routine.

If this documentary does go ahead, they you're not going to like it.

This is not entirely true. They can be totally avoided as routine. There are some main roads that go by some of the estates but commuters or locals by the thousands manage to escape unharmed on a daily basis!
    blow_in wrote: »
    The scumbags may spray paint titties on Richard Harris..

I wonder where the scumbag was from, did they catch him/her/them?

bucks73 wrote: »
    And back to the original question....;)

They could potentially base the documentary on any city. Depending on how far back dated the material used is.

They may have considered Limerick due to the overwhelming intertest other parts of Ireland have in any negative press it gets. Projection.

It sells newspapers, will get a huge amount of viewers and glorify local scumbags who will be given air time. Great!

well if we want to get all technical, Limerick city council have drafted up a plan for a boundary extension..(athhough somewhat controversial).. (the first of its kind since 1950) and its to include a realistic figure for the metropolotin area of the city 150,000 within its boundary as upposed to the 50000 figure that has been there since 1950..if this actually goes ahead Limerick will overtake cork from 4th biggest to 2nd biggest city in the country..eventhough i agree cork is about twice the size as Limerick..but no bigger

CItyBExt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Jane Doh! wrote: »
    This is not entirely true. They can be totally avoided as routine. There are some main roads that go by some of the estates but commuters or locals by the thousands manage to escape unharmed on a daily basis!

+1 and then some.

While I agreed earlier with what Sean K said in relation to "if Limerick is smaller you might meet a particular scumbag more than once", I want to distance myself from the completely false statement about people having to go through dodgy places on a daily basis!

Sean K - have you ever been in Limerick and what "dodgy places" are you referring to ?

As I said earlier, people from Dublin seem to view O'Connell St, Dublin as FAR dodgier at night than O'Connell St, Limerick, and there are absolutely NO major routes involved.

Are you basing your incorrect assumption on the incorrectly-captioned photos that you might have seen in the tabloids or the Sindo [one and the same thing, really, but anyways...] about armed response units on "the streets" of Limerick ? I'd respectfully suggest that you either come see for yourself or else improve the standard of paper that you buy before spouting rubbish, please.

Yes, there are lots of decent people in the depths of a few estates who have to daily pass scumbags and dodgy areas - just as there are in EVERY city and town in the country, but your statement earlier - the one Jane was reffering to - has absolutely no truth.

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    well if we want to get all technical, Limerick city council have drafted up a plan for a boundary extension..(athhough somewhat controversial).. (the first of its kind since 1950) and its to include a realistic figure for the metropolotin area of the city 150,000 within its boundary as upposed to the 50000 figure that has been there since 1950..if this actually goes ahead Limerick will overtake cork from 4th biggest to 2nd biggest city in the country..eventhough i agree cork is about twice the size as Limerick..but no bigger

CItyBExt.jpg
    The link refers to a pop of 86,000 not 150,000.
    If the boundary extension you refer to is granted it would mean Limerick overtakes Galway as Irelands 3rd city. Even with that boundary extension, it would still not overtake Cork as Irelands 2nd city!

Anyway I originally just wanted to point out the inaccrucies in the thread about the the population statistics stated by a poster for Irish cities. All of the cities in Ireland with the exception of Galway do not have city boundaries which reflect their real populations, that is all. No point in arguing about size!

rebs23 wrote: »
    The link refers to a pop of 86,000 not 150,000.
    If the boundary extension you refer to is granted it would mean Limerick overtakes Galway as Irelands 3rd city. Even with that boundary extension, it would still not overtake Cork as Irelands 2nd city!

Anyway I originally just wanted to point out the inaccrucies in the thread about the the population statistics stated by a poster for Irish cities. All of the cities in Ireland with the exception of Galway do not have city boundaries which reflect their real populations, that is all. No point in arguing about size!

that includes only the urban area including suburbs for 2002..nothing to do with the townland areas outside of that..which makes up the rest of the figure

Lads, can we stay on topic because regardless of what size Limerick is, the impression and media coverage are usually WELL out of order/proportion.

Even if Limerick was the biggest or smallest city in Ireland it still wouldn't deserve it's reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

...haven't we been here before??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A few times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Having lived in both dublin and limerick i say there both pretty safe if you arent looking for trouble...i feel more in danger in my home town of tralee to be honest. The towns smaller meaning you cant avoid the scumbags. Wherever you go they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

getz wrote: »
    i must say the worst one is nearer home and that is the city of salford- manchaster it has the highest population per sq mile in europe all of them scumbags

I'm living in a suburb of Manchester at the moment (originally from Limerick) and there are definitely a lot more dodgy characters knocking about the place. I am a culchie but never felt uneasy in Limerick city when I lived there.

I get a slagging from the most unlikely sources. Someone from Belfast once said something about stab city to me.....I was like are you for real? This is Belfast.....enough said.

Program on TV3 tonight, Neighbourhoods from hell....

Might be one to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I've lived in both Dublin and Limerick and often walked home both O'Connell
    St's and I would walk up to the Limerick 10 times before I'd walk the Dublin one. Once you go beyond the spire heading out of the city it is seriously dodgy. Had a bottle fired at my head there one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I've lived in both Dublin and Limerick and often walked home both O'Connell
    St's and I would walk up to the Limerick 10 times before I'd walk the Dublin one. Once you go beyond the spire heading out of the city it is seriously dodgy. Had a bottle fired at my head there one night.

Yeah that whole parnell st and dorset st area at the top of o'connel st. is extremely dodgy!

Like other posters i have lived in both Limerick and Dublin and its the same story with both places, you know the dodgy areas and you should stay away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭brosps

baza1976 wrote: »
    Well I'm just sick of people from outside of the city with no personal experience of Limerick downing us.

Sean tell us the stories you have heard?? I wil be able to tell you ten stories to show dublin is not any better than Limerick.

I don't think we need to be applogitic to anybody who is going to claim how much better their town/city is versus Limerick. Makes me bloody angry when people jump on the media band wagon.

We should be strong in opinions of our city.. while I agree I was too strong in my first response to Sean. Sorry Sean.
    But it Still P***es me off when some has heard a " story" lets here them Stories!!!

lolz someone must have woken up on the wrong side of the tractor

brosps wrote: »
    lolz someone must have woken up on the wrong side of the tractor

Not sure what the hell that's about....? :rolleyes: Anyone here seen any tractors lately ?

Mind you, it'd be better than waking up the wrong side of a bullet, which with 4 serious shootings THIS MONTH ALREADY is increasingly likely in Dublin.

Still had to laugh at the reporting in The Examiner today, though, and that's one of the better ones! They said "in a suburb of Dublin"; IF ONLY they reported the same way about things that happen in Limerick.

Cue hysterical newspaper and RTE reports about rampant crime and armed response units "on the streets of Dublin" ? Don't think so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Not sure what the hell that's about....? :rolleyes: Anyone here seen any tractors lately ?

Look at his other posts, they're nearly all as pointless as that one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Some people...

Advertisement