Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

98c to the pound

Options
  • 31-12-2008 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Went to bag a clothing bargain this new year's eve in Tesco and looked at the dual-pricing tickets, which convert 1£ sterling into €1.50! And what does the useless Consumer Regulator do about it? She says "shop around". That's it. Can she do anything about it? Nope; "there are no pricing controls in Ireland"! That's a quote. Is this basket case country for real?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

we have had this type of thread numerous times a day.

1. VAT

2. Wages

3. Rent

4. Insurance

5. etc

nobody forces you to buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 anatalist

Trampas wrote: »
    we have had this type of thread numerous times a day.

1. VAT

2. Wages

3. Rent

4. Insurance

5. etc

nobody forces you to buy

"........numerous times.....day." No further questions, your honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

and today tis 95p

and if you went into the bank, you'd get 92p

and all retail staff in ireland and all landlords have all reduced their wages & rents due to changes in the currency value of a different country.

example of medium size store manager wages in retail.

Ireland €40,000
    UK £25,000

area manager

Ireland €65,000
    UK £45,000

In order so that all retailers can drop their prices to today's exchange rate, please ask the staff to take a 35% drop in thoer wages - and while you're at it, please take a similar drop in wages / social welfare yourself.

Then you can compare like with like!

whopps - forgot...did you not see the myriad of signs throughout tesco says that a 10% currency discount applies - this leaves the "exchange" at 1.35 and that was near enough the exchange rate in mid november (1.29)

darc wrote: »
    and today tis 95p

and all retail staff in ireland and all landlords have all reduced their wages & rents due to changes in the currency value of a different country.

Ireland €40,000
    UK £25,000

area manager

Ireland €65,000
    UK £45,000

In order so that all retailers can drop their prices to today's exchange rate, please ask the staff to take a 35% drop in thoer wages - and while you're at it, please take a similar drop in wages / social welfare yourself.

whopps - forgot...did you not see the myriad of signs throughout tesco says that a 10% currency discount applies - this leaves the "exchange" at 1.35 and that was near enough the exchange rate in mid november (1.29)

Touche, darc, point well put, you crafty Tesco shelf stacker you, you rascal. I almost feel sorry for Tesco and now understand why they are so coy about publishing a separate annual profit breakdown for Ireland. I just don't understand why they're opening stores in Ireland at such a record rate, given the scenario you paint.

But, you make your point well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

and today tis 95p
    Ireland €40,000
    UK £25,000
    area manager
    Ireland €65,000
    UK £45,000
    And the brits have the audacity to call the Irish 'thick' !

• Advertisement

juuge wrote: »
    And the brits have the audacity to call the Irish 'thick' !

With posts like darcs doing Tesco's PR work for them, perhaps the Brits are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

I shop in Sainsburys now, with a Tesco Ireland credit card. I hope this is not lost on Tesco.

Its not up to me to make the supermarkets in the republic competitive. but i'll do my best :)

321654 wrote: »
    I shop in Sainsburys now, with a Tesco Ireland credit card. I hope this is not lost on Tesco.

Its not up to me to make the supermarkets in the republic competitive. but i'll do my best :)

Go on, ya good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Are you suggesting changing from a free market economy or something :confused: Of coarse the regulator isnt going to tell people to drop their prices like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

Well i've had it with this country

I'm not going to spend a red cent in retail here until they become competitive

Im going to buy everything north of the border / clothes / food / petrol / electronics if i can get it cheaper in NI i will.

EVERYTHING

If only everyone in the country voted with their wallets i think you'd see the retailers and the govt change their tune pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

anatalist wrote: »
    She says "shop around". That's it. Can she do anything about it? Nope; "there are no pricing controls in Ireland"! That's a quote. Is this basket case country for real?
    What do you suggest she does? Maybe you can look at a "non-basket case country" with pricing controls and suggest we do the same as them. Good luck finding such a country though...

MrJetlag wrote: »
    If only everyone in the country voted with their wallets i think you'd see the retailers and the govt change their tune pronto.
    And if retailers here really were making so much then people would be packing in their jobs and starting up retail stores. Also all the retailers in the north would sell up and open up shop down here. But it isn't happening, and it is obvious why, there is open competition in most countries yet many seem to think there is some cartel going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

MrJetlag wrote: »
    Well i've had it with this country

I'm not going to spend a red cent in retail here until they become competitive

Im going to buy everything north of the border / clothes / food / petrol / electronics if i can get it cheaper in NI i will.

EVERYTHING

But before you do so, please ask to be paid the sterling equvalent for your job, please ask social welfare to reduce your childrens allowance to the current UK rate, also ask them to pay pensions in the sterling rate and of course don't forget to ask Brian Lenihan to increase your taxes to the UK level & finally ask your county council to start charging you €3000 in council taxes for the pleasure of living in a house.

Of course if you are unlucky and are currently unemployed because so many people like you have diverted their money into another country, please ask for your UK equivalent of €72 unemployment assistance.

I for one will support Irish retailers who are fair with their pricing and will not be a hypocrital bo**ox like so many in Ireland and head up north and give the EXACT same retailers that they complain about down here their cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

And ill go to Hallmark and buy them a good luck card when they all go out of business.

Hallmark in Northern Ireland of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

But before you do so, please ask to be paid the sterling equvalent for your job, please ask social welfare to reduce your childrens allowance to the current UK rate, also ask them to pay pensions in the sterling rate and of course don't forget to ask Brian Lenihan to increase your taxes to the UK level & finally ask your county council to start charging you €3000 in council taxes for the pleasure of living in a house.

Of course if you are unlucky and are currently unemployed because so many people like you have diverted their money into another country, please ask for your UK equivalent of €72 unemployment assistance.

I for one will support Irish retailers who are fair with their pricing and will not be a hypocrital bo**ox like so many in Ireland and head up north and give the EXACT same retailers that they complain about down here their cash.

While you are ranting away how about adding the following UK taxes/duties, UK VRT = 0%, UK VAT = 15%, UK Stamp Duty (top rate) = 4%. Since the new budget was annouced I've stopped shopping in Eire, I do ALL my shopping in the North, when I need milk or bread I go to Aldi/Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

rubadub wrote: »
    And if retailers here really were making so much then people would be packing in their jobs and starting up retail stores. Also all the retailers in the north would sell up and open up shop down here. But it isn't happening, and it is obvious why, there is open competition in most countries yet many seem to think there is some cartel going on.

Then kindly explain why Tesco grocery prices on most products are almost the exact same to the cent as their rival Dunnes in the South for years? (nothing to do with NI in this)

That's a cartel behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Nationalism needs to be exposed as the myth it is. When it comes to your wallet, you go for value. Simple as.

Getting the best of both worlds by living in Republic and shopping North is just common sense on people's part. It may ruin the economy but thats human nature and its not going to stop anytime soon.

By the way, if or when it does ruin the economy, just emigrate. Were not all tied to this country you know.

Long may the having cake and eating it lifestyle continue :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

gurramok wrote: »
    Then kindly explain why Tesco grocery prices on most products are almost the exact same to the cent as their rival Dunnes in the South for years? (nothing to do with NI in this)

That's a cartel behaviour.

Or just maybe they manufactuer charges them the same price....

Advertisement