Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angels Gate route up Carrauntohill

Options
  • 31-12-2008 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Just wonder does anyone know of this route.

You basically start by taking the O'Shea gully route as far as the plateau. From there, keep walking. Eventually a path to the left appears which takes you around the west face of Carrauntohill before you reach the section between the top of the ladder and the peak.

Looking at it from below, I can't exactly see a path accross the face.

Anyone ever do it ? What sorta difficulty would we be talking.

I'd have intermediate to fairly good expierience hillwalking with some roping expierience.

I've uploaded two pics of the west face of carrauntohill with what I would imagine the path should follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Do you mean the heavenly gates going up from rescue hut at Eagles Nest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Down South wrote: »
    Do you mean the heavenly gates going up from rescue hut at Eagles Nest ?

Sorry, indeed it is heavenly gates.

After doing a quick search on google, I'm guessing all accent routes via heavenly gates involves rock climbing / roping ?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

No Not at all. Some rock routes e.g Howling Ridge and Primrose (?) start at the gates but you can walk to the top via this route. If you go up to the Rescue Hut on the Eagles Nest plateau, you'll see a steep track running up between a rock pillar and the mountain face ie the gates. The track will bring you out at large lump of rocks near the top of the ladder, around where the ground becomes steeper on the way to the summit. It can be a bit more difficult to find on the way down but if you head towards these rocks, you'll pick up the path.

Its realitvely safe and has great views out over the glen. If its been wet you may have a lot of the water running accross the track from the face of the mountain so be careful.

Great views and my favourite walking route on the mountain. orth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Down South wrote: »
    No Not at all. Some rock routes e.g Howling Ridge and Primrose (?) start at the gates but you can walk to the top via this route. If you go up to the Rescue Hut on the Eagles Nest plateau, you'll see a steep track running up between a rock pillar and the mountain face ie the gates. The track will bring you out at large lump of rocks near the top of the ladder, around where the ground becomes steeper on the way to the summit. It can be a bit more difficult to find on the way down but if you head towards these rocks, you'll pick up the path.

Its realitvely safe and has great views out over the glen. If its been wet you may have a lot of the water running accross the track from the face of the mountain so be careful.

Great views and my favourite walking route on the mountain. orth a try

Ah yes. I know the rocks your on about. About 200 - 300 meters towards the summit from the top of the ladder ?

I'm guessing the yellow line I've drawn on the picture of Carrauntohill is a bit high and would propabley take a lower route accross the face ?

Advertisement