Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Wireless Router

Options
  • 01-01-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I have a Belkin G Wireless router that is attached to a 2Mb Esat BT line. I am looking to upgrade it as the wireless signal is intermittently dropping even though the router is roughly 20 feet away in the next room divided by a solid wall. In a bit to try and resolve the issue I have upgraded the firmware on the router, set the MTU to 1300. I have also set the wireless mode to "Long Range Mixed 11b + 11g). The Tranmission Rate on the router is set to "Fully Automatic" and the "g NITRO" has been enabled, but the drops still happen.

I am reading mixed review reports on the web about Belkin, DLink and Netgear so am no wiser as to what to buy.

I am not sure if the issue I am having with web pages being dropped is an problem with the signal strength as i have noticed sometimes that when the wireless speed drops pages cannot be displayed, however if I do a refresh the pages will reappear.

It is begining to bug me so thanks in advance for any advice on this.

:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly have you confirmed that the internet signal itself is not dropping and that the problem is definitely with the wireless?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

Are there any other wireless networks showing up that might interfering with your network? (netstumbler.com)

Are there any other wireless devices in use in your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 astaro81

Also double check that the drops are not caused by the wireless NIC on your machine. I have a friend who was blaming his Dlink wireless router when it turned out to be the antenna wire was loose on his wireless card.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have a Video Sender, wireless baby alarm/video, wireless security video etc turn them off.
    They and WiFi use same band and interfere.
    On occasion even wireless mouse/keyboard or other wireless gadgets can interfere, though usually Bluetooth is not a problem, even though it uses the same band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scuba27

Hi, I have logged a call with Esat BT to check the line as I am only getting download speeds of 1.5Mb even though I am on a broadband band of between 2 and 6Mb, however I never get over 2Mb

I know the line can suffer from contention so I will see what Esat BT say.

I have noticed this morning that my wireless signal strength has been fluctuating between 24Mb, 36Mb and 54Mb.

I have changed the channel on the wireless router and now discovered this interferes with my wireless camera. It could be that my wireless camera and baby monitor could be impacting the signal strenght.

I have installed Network stumbler and ran the application. The figures coming back are as follows:

SNR - (59)
    Signal + (-38)
    Noise (-100)
    SNR + (62)

Does anyone know what these figures mean as I have been trying to subscribe to the Network Stumbler forum but without success.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 astaro81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

This is a long shot but is your MTU right? Usually it is between 1400 and 1500.

I have seen problems myself with incorrect MTU (notably dropping SSL encrypted pages).

Here is some more information that you could try out:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10193

Advertisement