Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - January 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Flatlined at -5.4C
    Sun making no odds

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still -4.3c here - that's 10 hours now of temps below -4c!

Sorry to bang on about it but for the city (well edge of) that's pretty good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bloody boards being off very annoying! :D

Last night at 10 pm a bucket with a couple of inches of water at the bottom (obviously!) just outside the back door (so doubly "protected") had frozen over! 10 pm :eek:

This morning is crisp to say the least.

dropped to -5.5C after 9am, now finally rising as the sun makes more impact.
    -3.7C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

10am, -4.5c here. I wonder what the max will be today?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I know the air is dry and all but anyone get any severe frost? All the fields nice and white around the country?

Only a little patchy around this part even on the school run this morning on the back roads and parks/fields i went by where clear.

0.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Still -6c in mullingar! My thermo doesn't keep records anymore so I have no idea what temp was recorded last night- I'd imagine one of the coldest nights in quite a few years.

Snowbie wrote: »
    I know the air is dry and all but anyone get any severe frost? All the fields nice and white around the country?

Only a little patchy around this part even on the school run this morning on the back roads and parks/fields i went by where clear.

0.3C
    Yep, everything white. It was the same yesterday when I was going into town; there was no frost anywhere past blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

-2.5C here up to 9.30am this mornin. crisp

Snowbie wrote: »

0.3C

-11C on grass, everywhere was white.
    Still subzero now but won't be long before it gets positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Had a temp of -4.5 before 9 last night; by 10 it had risen to -4.2; at 7 this morning it was -3 and by 7:30 about -2.5. There was hardly any frost on the car; same as yeaterday morning. Driving between Abbeyleix and Durrow at 9 the car thermo read -5 and the fields and trees were all white.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Up to 1.7°C now from an overnight low of -5.8°C which is a new station record.
    In other news my bedroom was 10°C ...I got bugger all sleep...a trip to powercity is taking place today for a heater methinks!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Taking a walk up the fields is like walking on cracked cement. It's completely frozen solid and the ice on any remaining puddles/floods is thick enough for a pony to walk on (literally!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Supercell wrote: »
    Up to 1.7°C now from an overnight low of -5.8°C which is a new station record.
    In other news my bedroom was 10°C ...I got bugger all sleep...a trip to powercity is taking place today for a heater methinks!

I'm under a duvet, sleeping bag, doubled up blanket and a water bottle
    was added last night! :D

Snug as a bug. :)

Well I had icicles this morning for the first time in I'd say 8 or 9 years.
    The ice was like a brick so solid and deep where it hasnt froze in a long long time inside sheds.

Back up to 6c now...ironically mild compared to yesterday.
    White frost is still there in the shade and despite the 6c and the sun the ground is still frozen.
    In actual fact I poured boiling water on the ice this morning and it was hard set pardon the pun to melt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

When was the last time we got down to below -7C?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

What's the consensus of opinion for tonights weather?

I have a trip at 2am in the morning to Dublin airport from Kilkenny. :eek:

Villain wrote: »
    When was the last time we got down to below -7C?
    2008;)
    Last Feb, Casement had -7.7C...

kleefarr wrote: »
    What's the consensus of opinion for tonights weather?

I have a trip at 2am in the morning to Dublin airport from Kilkenny. :eek:
    I've got an early morning trip to north Dublin, will be leaving at 6am

Main roads are dry and treated, take care off mains roads.

OMG, the 2 swans have just landed on my solid pond :eek:
    They're just standing bewlidered...a very ungraceful landing on their backside.

As with BB quite mild today with temp above 7C - highest of year. Frost remained in shade and ground is hard.

Temp slowly falling, but will be a dramtic fall at sunset. With dewpoint currently at zero, I don't aticipate as cold a night despite the clears sky though the frost will be heavier.

• Advertisement

I'm showing 0.3 mm as are the stations in Durrow and Arklow, I'm not at home did it rain in these locations?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'm showing 0.3 mm as are the stations in Durrow and Arklow, I'm not at home did it rain in these locations?

I'd say it's just frost melting into the rain gauge although the radar does show some precip in the midlands (fog maybe)?

3.3c here now - (possibly) max for today 3.5c. Only got above freezing here at midday. Min overnight -5.0c.

Don't think it will be as cold tonight - more high level cloud and looks like cloud might move down from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Dew in the buckets from frost melt over consecutive days.

Dewpoint not as low today so there is more a threat of fog tonight and as MM said a heavier frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

1.9c at the mo', DP of -1c. Low this morning of -5.6c at 5.01am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My max today was exactly 0.0 C at 1557

Now -0.5 C

Seven Worlds will Collide

Dp is as low as ever here actually at -5c

Air temp dropping

Currently 2.4c

Dropping even quicker than yesterday down 4.8C in an hour to -0.5C already!

Gone below freezing here : -0.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just after going into negative figures here, -0.1c.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Gone below freezing here : -0.3c
    and here.
    -1.1C Dp -3.5C

Advertisement