Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - January 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Nice sunset this evening.
    A shroud of altocumulus being lit up by the sun setting was amazing from here.
    2.3C
    Dp -2.3C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Snowbie wrote: »
    2.3C
    Dp -2.3C

I saw that too walkin home, one of the best sunsets ive seen in a long time, would have loved to had my camera with me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I know the air is dry and all but anyone get any severe frost? All the fields nice and white around the country?

Only a little patchy around this part even on the school run this morning on the back roads and parks/fields i went by where clear.

0.3C

Frost around here this morning was fairly light and patchy even though the sky was clear and car thermometer was reading -4.

Reading 0 atm and a slight frost has developed already.

I really need to get a weather station but living on the top floor of an apartment block i would never get any true readings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

2.3C
    Dp -2.3C
    Got some photos
    Impressive.

-1.7C

Damo9090 wrote: »

I really need to get a weather station but living on the top floor of an apartment block i would never get any true readings.
    While I know what you mean, the readings would be true for your location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-2.2C now still falling quickly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Frost around here this morning was fairly light and patchy even though the sky was clear and car thermometer was reading -4.

Reading 0 atm and a slight frost has developed already.

Buy a cheap weather station and locate the remote sensor on a stick (as near as possible to 4ft over ground level) in a hedge/shurbs nearby?

I have one in my front garden in a shrub that projcets the outside temp onto the ceiling of my bedroom (just to the side of the mirrors:D).

-1.3c here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Not as cold as this time last night here. -1.5c ATM.

Spent the day trying to thaw out the water pipes leading to my boiler. Succeeded at about 3pm. Heating will be on now for most of the night!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Mothman wrote: »
    While I know what you mean, the readings would be true for your location
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    Buy a cheap weather station and locate the remote sensor on a stick (as near as possible to 4ft over ground level) in a hedge/shurbs nearby?

I have one in my front garden in a shrub that projcets the outside temp onto the ceiling of my bedroom (just to the side of the mirrors:D).

Thanks lads will look at my options.

Looks like i will get a sharper frost tonight. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-1.8c now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Dont know the temp, but its clear and dry here in tallaght, very cold and the lakes in the local park are frozen SOLID!

If they are still frozen tomorrow, i'll go down with my camera and get a few snaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Current conditions a of 1805 7.1.2009

Cloudy, dark, cold
    -1.0c | FALLING RAPIDLY
    Calm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

-1C here now.. i think it was around -4C this time yesterday

-3.0C
    This time last night -1.9C
    Dp -4.3C

Could see min of -5C

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Surprised to see ice along the edges of that small estuary in coastal Portmarnock near the marshes today.

Never seen that before! It should be salty there too!

-2.5c here now was -2.7c this time yesterday.

Saw a number of roadworks today in conjunction with burst water pipes. Created an awful icy mess on the roads!

-3C here, Still up to 6 and 7C in parts of the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently -2.2c with a -2.7cDP.

The mains water pipe is frozen, so no running water in the house. :(

-3.0c

-4.0C recently, but on the way up.
    -3.6C now, grass was -9C
    Casement went from -4C at 8pm to -2C at 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Danno wrote: »
    The mains water pipe is frozen, so no running water in the house. :(

Currently -3.1c here. Danno, have started another thread about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Not as cold as last night, -1, last night was -4.5 at this time - lowest of the night.

-4.2C, grass -10C

back up to -1C now, temps seem to be rising

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

currently -4.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Very cold here and well below zero. It looks like it is clouding up from the west. Or then again it might be fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-5.8C currently very dry cold air

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Should get nice and cold now as skies seem to be clearing from the north on the latest sat loop.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Snowbies thermo has hit 0.0c meaning its realllllly cold :D

-4.7C Grass -10C
    Dp -5.9C

Will tonight actually see lower than last night's record low of -5.6C, I hadn't thought it would, but looking quite likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Should get nice and cold now as skies seem to be clearing from the north on the latest sat loop.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Snowbies thermo has hit 0.0c meaning its realllllly cold :D
    Finally i can get proper calm stagnant conditions to compare my new VP2 24hrs FARS with the old one. Now -0.1C on the old VP2 uploading to site while the new one with the fan is sucking in that cold air quicker from the clearing skies and has dropped sharply to -0.7C, it works :cool::D

Better conditions than last night to test as the winds are calm.
    Old VP2 is catching up slowly -0.2C

Advertisement