Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - January 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    Finally i can get proper calm stagnant conditions to compare my new VP2 24hrs FARS with the old one. Now -0.1C on the old VP2 uploading to site while the new one with the fan is sucking in that cold air quicker from the clearing skies and has dropped sharply to -0.7C, it works :cool::D

Better conditions than last night to test as the winds are calm.
    Old VP2 is catching up slowly -0.2C
    Your old is a FARS as well?

Suddenly quite a breeze and I expect temp is rise quite a bit.
    Was -4.8C couple minutes ago, now -4.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently -2.9c.

I gotta get me one of those 24hr FARS. :p

-3.7C
    The FARS being the natural wind from the west motoring along nicely at moment.

BTW
    FARS = Fan aspirated radiation shield

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretty staedy here at -3.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mothman wrote: »
    Your old is a FARS as well?

Suddenly quite a breeze and I expect temp is rise quite a bit.
    Was -4.8C couple minutes ago, now -4.3C
    It is a daytime FARS which meant the fan only worked in sunny or very bright conditions. Overcast or at night the fan stopped. The new one just like SC has a constant flow of air (24hrs) over the sensors which keeps it more accurate especially for here. The likes of yourself would not have that problem as your more exposed to the elements and temp would react much more quickly.I wonder if you had one of these lads would it react more quicker to temp change, i'd say probably. :)

Anyway needed one badly here as im not exposed and on the clear calm nights the old VP2 reacted much more slowly to temp change and dropped so slowly in 0.1C increments, once the skies cleared as WC posted the newer one dropped 0.7C in less than a two mins.

Here are the two consoles side by side, the old VP2 is on the left which has a -0.3C while newer on right has a -0.9C at time of snap. The old one is now at -0.7C (slowly catching up) while new is unchanged at -0.9C. If you can follow all that.:o

Also note the vertical scale graph on bottom left of consoles, the new one on the right shows the sudden fall while the left one is gradual.

DSC00668.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

-4.1c and foggy. :cool:

God damn that is one cold indoor reading!

Danno wrote: »
    God damn that is one cold indoor reading!
    LOL, that is the other temp/hum station recording temp(-0.6C) 4ft over the decking. You can add up to 8 different stations to the VP2. Do you remember reading you manual about setting DIP switches to register you ISS to the console(matching them up)?

Meanwhile the old VP2 is now at -0.9C (eventually caught up) while the 24hrs FARS is at -0.1C and rising fast due to a West wind blowing at 6-7mph now. Successful test :D but getting milder:(

Edit Old VP2 -0.7C
    New 24hr jobby at 0.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-6.1C here my hosting provider has gone down again so site is down.

I must post up a pic of my station see if you experts reckon my location is ok, its on a lawn which over 1/2 an acre above hedge height bordering an open 3 acre field about 25m from the house

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Massive temperature variencea on the work drive home.
    At the highest part of my journey at Calary it was 1*C (last night it was -6°C), yet directly below in Kilmacanogue it was -3°C.. further on it dropped to -5.5°C on the road between Roundwood and Annamoe which is always a cold spot then here it rose to -3°C.
    AWS reports -2.6°C Lovely sparkly grass everywhere but roads like last night are bone dry so pretty safe driving despite the cold weather.
    Oh and I bought a new heater to warm the bedroom, got feck all sleep last night :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

0.7C but starting to fall again.

Do you remember reading your manual about setting DIP switches to register you ISS to the console(matching them up)?

What's that for? :P :P :P

R-T-F-M says you! ;)

Currently -3.9c here.

;)

0.7C

Currently -4.1c with a DP of -4.6c. Not falling as low tonight as last night so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Currently 1.9c here, Heavy Fog!

I see MM is at a cool -5.9C as of 0350.

-0.7C with some low stratus whizzing by. Must have been fog over the west of Dublin that lifted.
    81% RH
    Dp -3.3C
    Wind West c5mph

I see MM is at a cool -5.9C as of 0350.

Yes
    AWS -6.1C all time record low :D
    Screen min -5.7C all time record low :D
    But AWS has gone lower since.

Grass min -10.9C, not as cold as last night....yet

I'll check before I leave in about an hour to see if screen has gone lower.

ATM -5.9C
    Dp -6.8C
    Calm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yes
    AWS -6.1C all time record low :D
    Screen min -5.7C all time record low :D
    But AWS has gone lower since.

Grass min -10.9C, not as cold as last night....yet

I'll check before I leave in about an hour to see if screen has gone lower.

ATM -5.9C
    Dp -6.8C
    Calm

Great stuff, amazing :) , its considerably milder here than last night -3.3°C currently which is over 2°C warmer than last night.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Great stuff, amazing :) , its considerably milder here than last night -3.3°C currently which is over 2°C warmer than last night.
    Also amazing is that it has totally flat lined since Snowbie made his post above.

-5.9C since 3:45.
    Totally calm which is unusual as usually Katabatic wind kicks in, but the hills are too warm.

Also amazing is that it has totally flat lined since Snowbie made his post above.

-5.9C since 3:45.
    Totally calm which is unusual as usually Katabatic wind kicks in, but the hills are too warm.
    Screen -5.9C
    AWS -6.1C
    Grass -11.1C

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-4.1c here atm. Second coldest on record for me (after yesterday).

-1.9c and rising here now as SW breeze kicks in. Min -4.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

-4.8 C here atm

Min -5.2 at 0552

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Got a min of -6.6C last night currently -6.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

-4.0c here ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Much more frost today. Everything is white. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Another frosty calm morning. -1.2C

-5.1c min
    currently -1.1c

0.0c now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some frost, clouded over at some point. So cold and gloomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Min last night -3.1 a bit milder than previous couple of nights. -2.5 at 7:30am. Much frostier - had to scrape frost off car for the first time in a few days. Was driving in vicinity of AbbeyLeix and Durrow at about 9am - car thermo was at -6 - have been down here for last 3 days and that's the first time it went below -5! Was also foggy. And the roads were much damper this morning - makes for poor visibility when it gets on the windscreen and the washer water is frozen so the scren can't be cleared! Especially with the low sun - the fog was almost a relief, blocking the sun out!

Advertisement