Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - January 2009

Options

Comments

Only just reached +1c here [the poor dogs are shivering!]
    Ice as hard as ever and you can drive on it without breaking which is to be expected I suppose after 2 nights with more that 5 degree's of air frost and I'd guess ground temps of sub minus 10.

Mothman asked me to post that his screen minimum was -6c. A new all time low for him breaking this mornings earlier record :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Up to 4.3C a rise of 6.6C in an hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sun now out and frost in the shadow remains, I broke up the ice on the garden ponds yesterday and just did it again - 1 cm thick.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

3.5c here now - sun shining and gentle west breeze (2.5mph) - hard frost in the shade.

We're 1/4 way through the month now and mean so far for Casemnet (my nearest synoptic station) is just +0.8c - pretty amazing! Ineviatbly that's going to shoot up over the coming week or so.

Villain wrote: »
    Up to 4.3C a rise of 6.6C in an hour!

Now 8C thats a rise of 7.4C in an hour!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

3C, still very frosty in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very frosty still in Cork with all sheltered areas still white even in the city centre
    Nice and sunny too though (ideal walking weather)
    I would expect a severe frost to set in again around 4pm here before it gradually gets milder later in the night as the wind freshens. Latest weather forecast on aertel not to accurate for here imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

4.5c at the moment. Cool, clear, and frosty in the shade. There has been so much frst the past few nights that the garden almost looks as if it has a light sprinkling of snow on it! :)

Low of -4.4c this morning at 3.56am. Was listening to the local radio this morning and the presenter was asking people to text in the temperature in there area, this was after 11am mind! People were texting in saying it was currently -3c and -2c in parts of Kilkenny at that time??!!! :rolleyes: Well its was just above 5c in Carlow! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temp falling fast now, going to be another frosty night ..only one or two left of these in this cold snap so enjoy the scenary folks, might be the last time we see these conditions for a while.
    Currently 3.6°C with rock hard ground in the shade needless to say.
    Was driving around this morning and it was awesome to see the lovely orange glow of the sun on totally white and frosty fields reflecting with an orangery glow, really special to see here .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Temps got high enough to melt all the frost today, I think we're past the worst/best of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Min of -1.6C last night again and very frosty this morning.
    Max of 5.1C
    3.8C atm and falling.
    Dp 0C
    Wind S'ly

Subzero cycle starts for another night...currently -0.6°C ..how low will it go !!(i'm guessing around -4°C again with MM no doubt around the -6°C mark again)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

yep dropped 4.8C in an hour at 0.3C already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Supercell wrote: »
    Subzero cycle starts for another night...currently -0.6°C ..how low will it go !!(i'm guessing around -4°C again with MM no doubt around the -6°C mark again)

You must have extra wide tyres on your bike, I wouldn't risk it for a biscuit. :pac:
    Frost hadn't completly thawed here and it looks like another frosty night, temps dropping again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1.7c here now after max of 4.4c today - temp very slow to fall this evening despite 100% clear skies. Hint of a SE breeze atm (0.1mph).

Hal1 wrote: »
    You must have extra wide tyres on your bike, I wouldn't risk it for a biscuit. :pac:
    Frost hadn't completly thawed here and it looks like another frosty night, temps dropping again.

I wouldn't risk it for your biscuit either!! I meant the cycle as in cycle of events recently..ie every evening frost sets in fast :D
    Its -1.5°C here already, looks like a rerun of last night. More moist air for sure, gonna be a heavy hoar frost, gonna go hill walking tomorrow morning I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

4C Here in Waterford City and cloudy also, at 1755:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Subzero here at -0.2C
    The last 2 nights have been the coldest here on record since i got the station in april 06, getting down to -3C last night and -3.5C the night before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Lol Supercell, I am still learning the weather terminology etc. :)

Clear and calm
    -0.1C
    Dp -1.9C
    88% RH
    1026.2mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Driving up from Co. Laois this evening was surprised the car thermo was mostly above 0. But temp. back here is -1.7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Min last night -3.1 a bit milder than previous couple of nights. -2.5 at 7:30am. Much frostier - had to scrape frost off car for the first time in a few days. Was driving in vicinity of AbbeyLeix and Durrow at about 9am - car thermo was at -6 - have been down here for last 3 days and that's the first time it went below -5! Was also foggy. And the roads were much damper this morning - makes for poor visibility when it gets on the windscreen and the washer water is frozen so the scren can't be cleared! Especially with the low sun - the fog was almost a relief, blocking the sun out!

I find the car thermos can be quite a bit off... here are the minimums from the area over the month so far...

http://durrow.athost.net/weather/NOAAMO.TXT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Loads of frost already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Danno wrote: »
    I find the car thermos can be quite a bit off... here are the minimums from the area over the month so far...

http://durrow.athost.net/weather/NOAAMO.TXT

I don't really trust it, just use as an indicator. Although travelling through Durrow at 9am the last few days it doesn't seem too far off - Tues: -5, Weds: -5 and today -6 (which is a bit lower than yours?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mild -3.5C :pac:
    AND its breezy.

Funny to be almost dismissing such a low temp, because this is a low temperature for this site for past 10 years. In the winter of 04/05, only once did I record lower than -2C, this winter (inc last 3 days Nov) 12 days have seen -3C.
    I can't see -6C tonight, but I said this last night and the current temp is the same as this time last night...Dp is marginally higher tonight.

Just struggled below 0c here in the last few minutes. Currently -0.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Bit of a breeze here now so i think my frost is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    I don't really trust it, just use as an indicator. Although travelling through Durrow at 9am the last few days it doesn't seem too far off - Tues: -5, Weds: -5 and today -6 (which is a bit lower than yours?).

That is totally wierd...

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ICOLAOIS2
    Today was -0.7c at 9am

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ICOLAOIS2&day=7&year=2009&month=1
    Wednesday was -6.7c at 9am

and

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ICOLAOIS2&day=6&year=2009&month=1
    Tuesday was -5.8c

The station is only barely off the N8... strange one indeed. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

-1.1C, that wind has really driven the temp up...

• Advertisement

Calm but a tad misty
    -0.8C
    Dp -2.2C
    90% RH
    Sparkling roads out there in the moonlight

Advertisement