Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Weather Conditions - January 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Quite nice out now, fair weather and cool , current temp 3.9°C
    Was out on a jog earlier and the amount of black ice around was unreal, seriously dodgy road conditions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I had a min of -2.7 last night but I also happened to be up in the middle of the night and at 4am the temp had reached -0.1. By 8am it was +2.0 with no frost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

roads were lethal this morning, we got into a skid brakes failed luckily no one was on the part of the road at the time.

Much milder now, frost disappeared very quickly but still ice anywhere theres water lying around. Looks like thats the end of the cold weather for quite some time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The temperature got down to -3.9 last night with a great hoar frost. it's currently 6.2c now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The temperature got down to -3.9 last night with a great hoar frost. it's currently 6.2c now.

Exact same temps here Nacho. Very sunny though, and there was a very heavy hoar frost this morning alright despite temps not falling below -1.0c.

Who knows, maybe a second shot later in the month? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Cloudy, not over cast.
    Dry and getting milder, still very cold though.

Light breeze, skies should clear overnight I think, maybe one last frost before the atlantic returns, hope so!
    Currently 2.7°C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dull all day, looked like it would break at one point, filled in again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Cloudy with a breeze so there will be no frost tonight.

Roll on the next cold spell! Bigger and better please! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Cloudy with a breeze so there will be no frost tonight.

Roll on the next cold spell! Bigger and better please! :D

Why do i think we wont be seeing another good cold spell?:(

• Advertisement

Know how you feel WC, once the atlantic roars back in its probably curtains for any decent cold for several weeks.
    The pattern last few years seems to be an early cold snap in November ..mild during Dec-Feb and then late attempts at cold in March and April but its too late then for anything decent below Sally Gap.
    Part of me wonders if pre GW the high might have retrogressed to Greenland...but we'll never know.
    Its all random though mostly, who's to know..here hoping that we get another bite at the cherry, there's at least another 8 weeks left for a decent cold snowy spell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Getting close to an air frost here. Was down to 0.4c but now back up to 1.0c as breeze picks up. Max today 5.4c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

3C with a wind chill of 1.4C it feels cold, not looking forward to mild muck from the Atlantic

WC has lost his optimism! :eek:

Cold spell is over for me anyway. Overcast and breezy. All i need is rain then normal service will have resumed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

The last bit of cold weather is about to leave!!! Just dropped from 0.8 to 0.4 in the past few minutes. I can see the cloud from the weather system approaching so expect temps to start rising any time soon. Bye bye winter :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dublin is reporting -3C, I presume thats a mistake?
    no frost here and most places well above freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Temp dropped a good bit here to 0.5C but has risen since.
    1.6C and clouded over a bit more

No chance of frost down here i think dispite being able to see the moon through thin cloud. A bit of a breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it's over:(

the bit of frost we had earlier has all gone. i take it there is no sign of the cold weather returning given the lack of discussion in the latest model thread:(

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Hey all. I see some despondency on here and I don't think there is any need for it :). We are going to see some more lively weather for a change and from what I can see in the more reliable anyway, it won't become exceptionally mild by any means. Indeed, this weekend could be classed as a fairly brief milder interlude, with things turning cool again early next week. After that is uncertain.

This is not the model outlook thread so just a brief comment from me and that is that many may well be surprised (from a positive point of view) by the time we come to the end of January / start of February. There is great uncertainty on the recent outputs but suffice to say that there are some signs of potential with regard to certain possible trends.

Currently there's a southwesterly breeze setting in here, with clouds moving more quickly overhead than I have seen in a long time. Quite cool out still, with some ice left around the place. Even though I am a Snowaddict, I do accept that we will encounter all weather types during winter, so its nice to get a mix.

Don't write off anything yet, try to embrace the weather and who know's, a few surprises may well develop throughout the month. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

6.6c here now - highest temperature of the year! Windy.

Cool and windy current temp 5.9°C
    In other news my rain bucket seems to make a perfect perch for birds..is completely blocked with their dodo :(
    I only cleaned it two days ago, going to have to come up with something to stop them doing this..any suggestions would be great!

7.3 now, overcast and breezy. Was just below freezing at 6pm yesterday; back up to 1.3 at midnight. Canal was still frozen over at Cross Guns, Phibsboro' at midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Supercell wrote: »
    In other news my rain bucket seems to make a perfect perch for birds..is completely blocked with their dodo :(
    I only cleaned it two days ago, going to have to come up with something to stop them doing this..any suggestions would be great!

A few tips from expert me:

1. Place a miniature scarecrow beside the bucket. Make it look really scary with a big menacing snarl on its face.

2. Draw a picture of a pouncing cat on the side of the bucket. Simple, but effective.

3. Place a thin copper wire around the upper rim of the bucket and have it connected to an electric fence. Not only does this get rid of the bird problem, but you also get an instant, ready cooked meal as well. (A boon for that sunday roast)

4. Run towards them naked and screaming with arms spread the next time the birds are pearched on the bucket. The birds will then associate sitting on the bucket with a bad experience and will think twice about pearching there again.

5. Purchase a gun.

Hope this helps. :)

:D

The Atlantic is back! Strong winds with very heavy looking clouds!

Dry dull breezy and a bit raw feeling.

Thanks DE, my problem is solved!!
    Just back from a cycle, man that wind is something else. Was going down the N11 towards Ashford and had to push going downhill, the up bits were murderous!!
    Looks like that rain band is dying as death as it moves accross country which is a pity, wouldnt have minded being tucked up nice and warm with a glass of wine whilst it lashed outside full in the knowledge that i'd earned it after my exertions earlier :D
    Currently a balmy 6.9°C but feels cold in the wind.

Really strong breeze about the place now.

Up to 8.8 now.

• Advertisement

wind today was horrible, felt bitterly cold all day yet the temps are the highest they've been in weeks.
    9C atm. Looking like double figures could be achieved most of the coming week.

Advertisement