Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

server time

Options
  • 01-01-2009 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

the server time is off by at least a minute. Everyone around me was singing ould lang syne around me, claiming it 2009, yet after hours insisted it was only still within the last minute of 2008.

Was the server configured to take account of the leap second?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Is it a shared server in a remotely hosted location.

The second was to 2008 at 23:59:59 GMT on the 31st of December 2008. What happened was not that the second was added on, but merely clocks were 'stopped' for a second to allow catchup. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Random wrote: »
    the server time is off by at least a minute. Everyone around me was singing ould lang syne around me, claiming it 2009, yet after hours insisted it was only still within the last minute of 2008.

Was the server configured to take account of the leap second?

:)

Clocks in computers drift and unless they're corrected (with something like NTP) they do end up being a bit off.

From what I can see, the time on www.boards.ie is slow by about 40 seconds (assuming my clock is correct). I reckon this is more likely to be a result of clock drift than any leap second-related thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This seemed like a very important issue last night... not so much any more ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement