Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2009 is the year of the Linux Desktop

• 01-01-2009 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Now that I've got your attention....

Happy New Year all :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

;) nice!

Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

happy new year with lots joy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

scared me a bit there..

happy new year to you too.

Happy new year to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hopefully that will be the case seeing as 2008 was the year of the Linux netbook!

Let there be peace between different OS users of all denominations and platforms :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

FreeBSD is dead :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Happy New Year to all

Linux can't really take off until Microsoft has less of a hold on the desktop market and less work needs to be done in Terminal because the general public haven't a clue about the command prompt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Galen wrote: »
    Happy New Year to all

Linux can't really take off until Microsoft has less of a hold on the desktop market and less work needs to be done in Terminal because the general public haven't a clue about the command prompt.

I have a brand new machine sans OS. I downloaded Ubuntu and it will not load on bootup. I tried the server version and after install I arrive at a prompt. Not knowing the system I cannot get into the program.

I then install Windows XP and it installs flawlessly.

My questions are the following:
    • Is there any point in spending hours on fooling around, downloading and then installing to a prompt?
    • Downloading duff stuff and wasting more time with the install in Windows half installing and then not recognising th CD?
    • What advantages are there if I get Ubuntu up and running if I already have Windows installed?
    Now I would like to get a download which I can burn onto a CD nd simply run on a new machine which has no OS.

Any comments apart from the obvious would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You didn't do it right the first time around:p

That could be because:
    • Download was corrupted (use md5 to verify)
    • Burn was corrupted
    • You installed it wrong

The server version is supposed to boot to a prompt. There probably isn't even a window manager installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Heinrich wrote: »
    I have a brand new machine sans OS. I downloaded Ubuntu and it will not load on bootup. I tried the server version and after install I arrive at a prompt. Not knowing the system I cannot get into the program.
    Did you try the Desktop version? The server version does only boot to the terminal. Servers don't require a graphical interface.

Your terminology is slightly wrong here. You are in the program as such. Linux desktops boot to that same terminal then run a graphical interface such as X to give you your desktop interface. From the server you can install X and run it at boot (automatically) but you'd be better off installing the desktop version as it will contain the apps that you want - server version don't have things like OpenOffice etc installed by default either.

• Advertisement

If you have a very new machine (with the very modern hardware) then there can be issues until a newer kernel version comes out -- something which happens very often. Try another distribution or start Ubuntu and disable the graphical splash screen to get verbose information regarding what's happening. You do this by removing 'quiet splash' from the kernel boot-up parameters. These can be altered by hitting F5 or F6 after your machine boots from the CD.

Sean_K wrote: »
    You didn't do it right the first time around:p

That could be because:
    • Download was corrupted (use md5 to verify)
    • Burn was corrupted
    • You installed it wrong

The server version is supposed to boot to a prompt. There probably isn't even a window manager installed.

Apologies but...
    • Download was not corrupted
    • Burn was not corrupted
    • I did not install it wrong

However I installed Windows XP and installed Ubuntu within Windows. Everything works as it should but I did not want Windows on the machine. I reckon there was no provision for booting and formatting as the XP disk went first time.

I will see about getting rid of Windows next!

It looks pretty good and the music yoke seems to be sufficient for what it is intended. I would prefer an equalizer as per iTunes but I suppose that will follow.

The whole package is very interesting and if it can work out of the box on a new unformatted machine I think Micro$oft will lose out, certainly on the SOHO market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Apologies but...
    • Download was not corrupted
    • Burn was not corrupted
    • I did not install it wrong

However I installed Windows XP and installed Ubuntu within Windows. Everything works as it should but I did not want Windows on the machine. I reckon there was no provision for booting and formatting as the XP disk went first time.

I will see about getting rid of Windows next!

It looks pretty good and the music yoke seems to be sufficient for what it is intended. I would prefer an equalizer as per iTunes but I suppose that will follow.

The whole package is very interesting and if it can work out of the box on a new unformatted machine I think Micro$oft will lose out, certainly on the SOHO market.
    I think i may have misinterpreted your terminology in the original post. The impression I got was that you installed it and it didn't boot. Then you installed the server version and it did boot, but booted to a command prompt.

If you want to install it on a desktop, get the standard version, not the server version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

ntlbell wrote: »

Don't be saying naughty things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

It sounds like you've installed ubuntu using wubi.this installs the whole of ubuntu in one big file within windows.boot your pc from the cd if you want to install over windows.just make sure you're backed up.

Happy New Year to you all!

ntlbell wrote: »
    Do you think? There are so many spin-offs now: PC BSD, DragonFly BSD and, my favourite, FreeNAS. There seems to be great enthusiasm and development in the BSD camp.

duffman85 wrote: »
    It sounds like you've installed ubuntu using wubi.this installs the whole of ubuntu in one big file within windows.boot your pc from the cd if you want to install over windows.just make sure you're backed up.

I could not boot with the CD in the first place so that is why I installed through Windows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Heinrich wrote:
    • Is there any point in spending hours on fooling around, downloading and then installing to a prompt?
    • Downloading duff stuff and wasting more time with the install in Windows half installing and then not recognising th CD?
    • What advantages are there if I get Ubuntu up and running if I already have Windows installed?
    Now I would like to get a download which I can burn onto a CD nd simply run on a new machine which has no OS.
    my pet hate with windows is the time it takes to get a machine ready after you've installed windows
    you have to install (open)office , various readers, antivirus / firewall / anti-,malware, set everything to classic and patch each app one by one

did you test the live cd on the PC first to make sure it picked up all the drivers and stuff before the install ?

Love the thread title :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LuisMCSCVC

Macros42 wrote: »
    Now that I've got your attention....

Happy New Year all :)

Happy new year! Linux user here.

Advertisement