Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone find city-centre life in Dublin hard?

Options
  • 01-01-2009 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I've been living in Dublin for about 2 years, I don;t drive and my lodgings are small, would need more maintenance and repair, but I think it is a nice size. I just find life hard generally, I don;t have a high income, am gambling prone, and I always get buses, or walk. I have a longish walk to the laundry and struggle to get clothes dry sometimes if it is very wet. Even though there are some days where there is little or no money, I always have a good feeling, a light of sorts deep within me.
    I give the Dublin people including all the foreigners who have come here for work a big pat-on-the-back though. Especially the people who are friendly, empathetic, hard-working, and not rich or snobish. I feel a unity here in this city - have you ever felt it?! The only people who fail me sometimes are staff of pubs and maybe shops.

...Anyone else find city-centre life in Dublin hard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Life's hard Four-Two, and not just in Dublin. There are many positives to city life. One of those is the ability to live cheaply once the rent is paid. There are no end of bargains for clothes (for example) if you shop around. Using the markets and locally-owned shops for food is the way to go if you're on a tight budget. Public transport is efficient and cheap, despite the slagging Dublin Bus gets on here.

There are many reasons people have historically moved to Dublin from the country. Hang on to the positives and life isn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Life in Dublin is hard alright. I can't think of anything specific just the obvious massive change that happened in the last 10 years. People have become less freindly, Dubs and otherwise. Prices are expensive and there can be a rather stressed atmosphere around town. I lived out of the country for a while and definitely saw a difference when I arrived back within the space of a year.

Old Dublin is a part of my memory that I loved. Dublin will keep changing too. Wait for the demise of the Dubliner with first generation Dublin parents. I can't see it getting more expensive for the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I don't find living in Dublin hard at all. I moved to Dublin from Greystones five years ago, and I found it harder to live out there despite the fact I was still living at home.

I think circumstances have a lot to do with it. Where you work, where you live, hobbies, salary etc..

I adore living in the City, and really wouldn't want to leave. OP I agree whole-heartedly with your last paragraph, but in relation to the staff in pubs, you could be going to the wrong pubs ;)

Advertisement