Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between HD ready and Full HD ready ?

Options
  • 01-01-2009 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hola,

I think I may have been duped.... let me explain....

Bought a 32' TV...i was told by the sales dude that it was FULL HD...didn't bother to check...(cue the "well its ur own fault, you should have checked" crap comments that are no help)...

my question is....whats the difference between HD and FULL HD? Can anyone explain this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MissyLainey

Hey,

I recently bought a TV and I was told the following:

HD ready is what stations like Sky and BBC are at. Full HD is one level up (1080 pixels). I was looking for a 32 inch TV and was advised (by the sales person) not to bother and I wouldn't notice the difference between the 2 unless I was buying a much bigger TV, also, there is no plan to broadcast in 'full HD quality' for the forseeable future.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

In layman terms, "HD" and "HD ready" mean that the TV can display a HD signal (via a HDMI cable, for example), but most likely not in full resolution. The cheaper a "HD Ready" set is, the less likely it's resolution will be anywhere near HD resolution. So you can get HD TVs that are indeed HD-resolution, but invaribly the cheaper models are just marginally better than regular TV resolution (but capable of receiving HD, which regular TVs are not).

"Full HD" usually means the resolution is up to HD standard. Google for the more technical details, if you're so inclined, but here's a good starter guide.

If you were told it was Full HD capable and it turns out that it's not, then you are entitled to a full refund (or a replacement model that is Full HD capable and matches the other specs, including brand name if that's important to you). You might need legal proceedings to prove your word against the selling agent's, however. Or the store manager might offer a discount on a higher spec model as a good will gesture.

In the store's defence they might argue that it's pretty obvious that there's a distinct price bracket difference between HD/HD-Ready and Full HD, but I'd imagine they'll process a full refund (assuming you have the packaging, etc. in tact) without much quibble.

Just on a side note as seen as this is consumer issues, under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 if they goods we not as described by the salesperson, aren't you entitled to a full refund?? Although i understand it is another thing thrying to prove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

"HD ready" means the TV displays at a resolution of 1366x768 pixels.
    "Full HD" means the TV displays at a resolution of 1920x1080.

At 32" you are not likely to notice the difference and there would not be much point paying extra just so you can have "Full HD" stamped your TV. It really only affects TVs that are 42"+ (at least).

Hope that is a simple as it can be :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I thought HD Ready was an official standard and if a TV displays that it HAS to at least meet that standard and that Full HD was a marketing term and can mean whatever the manufacturer wants (but normally means 1080p).

So if you buy HD Ready and it doesn't meet the standard (but they all do now anyway) you have some comeback.

Am I wrong there?

Edit: Actually these links seem pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_HD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

Apparently there's a HD Ready 1080p logo too. I've never seen that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kerplunk86

HD Ready simply means the TV is capable of displaying a HD signal.

The thing that seems to be causing the most confusion is people using the term "HD Ready" to describe a TV that is 720p. When in fact, the term actually includes TVs that are capable of displaying a 1080p signal.

Advertisement