Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using own local knowledge

• 01-01-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

apolagies if done before, currently setting up a sat nav for the parents, have set the home location, had to do it using a map browse as townland not listed, not a problem, realise not every lane/townland is going to be on it, and have put in a number of favourte locations on the unit as well, ie, airports, various city centres around ireland (island),

now, this is where my question comes in, any time we/they go any where, we always go though our local village to reach the main N road, the sat nav advises take a number of back/local roads going around the village, and joins the local N road at a different point, these roads we know anyway, but just choose not to use them, so assuming we leave out house, the sat nav advises turn right then left turn right, etc, but we go our nomal route at first, will the sat nav cont to say turn round or something thing similar, or will it recaluate the route as we go along untill we eventully follow its recomended route

realise could enter shortest route instaed, but then this could bring us through towns and villages later in journey rather than using the by passes

using a tomtom one UK and ireland v3 if helps

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

did you actually ask a question m8 :)

If your asking how can you make it go through your local village, i dont know your exact model, but if you go into the option on your route you should be able to program via's and set up your village as a via ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

samhail wrote: »
    did you actually ask a question m8 :)

If your asking how can you make it go through your local village, i dont know your exact model, but if you go into the option on your route you should be able to program via's and set up your village as a via ?

not asking it to take them through the local village, but if you or i or who ever was to use local knowledge, rather than the sat nav route, would it keep saying turn back/turn round etc or would it recalculate the route till you do follow its instructions,

now you could agrue if your using your own knowledge why use a sat nav, but say on a particular long journey, you enter your start point and your finish point, there might be areas along the way you are familar with and areas your not, your happly going along using the sat nav as your guide, come to a stage of the journey, and you take your own route, will the sat nav, 1, recalulate the route and try and bring you back to the one it recomended, and 2, when you do eventully rejoin the route recomended, will it carry on as normal or will your destination need to be re entered

apolagies, have never used one before

its a tomtom one UK and ireland v3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

ah right :)
    i dont have the tomtom (i went for a cheaper one, garmin maybe ? *shrugs*
    but my one is pretty good at recalculating routes if you take an unexpected turn.
    no chance of an option on yours to recalculate faster or something ?
    there should be a recalculate button in your options too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

A good SatNav should automatically reroute to the same destination based on current location even if you have not followed its guidance and should not advise retracing to do as it says.

However, there will always be vagaries - so the suggestions are:

1. Use Via Point if available
    2. Do not do route calculation until passed what you know
    3. Use an avoidance option if available to avoid where you do not want to go
    4. Change from Shortest to fastest route once passed the village - the unit should recalculate on that basis.

Also I would suggest not to leave the home address in the unit - enter it as a favourite or similar with a different name known only to your parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

If you go the way you want to go, it will recalulate the route for you after a minute or so.

• Advertisement

samhail wrote: »
    ah right :)
    i dont have the tomtom (i went for a cheaper one, garmin maybe ? *shrugs*
    but my one is pretty good at recalculating routes if you take an unexpected turn.
    no chance of an option on yours to recalculate faster or something ?
    there should be a recalculate button in your options too ?

any one i have tried (sitting in the front room), i have always put in fastest, to avoid the towns and villages etc, there is also opitions for shorest, avoiding motorways, if driving unsuitable vechele, etc, and out of interest, entered a few routes that i would have and still do regulary, and some the satnav have taken exactly as i would, some have taken a totally different route

garydubh wrote: »

Also I would suggest not to leave the home address in the unit - enter it as a favourite or similar with a different name known only to your parents

good point, as your saying that, just released, the favourites can be viewed on the map browes as well,

thanks

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

irish-stew wrote: »
    good point, as your saying that, just released, the favourites can be viewed on the map browes as well,

thanks

;)

Don't leave it as the only favourite - put some spurious ones in there in different locations also.

On your main question ;- I can't help the typical Irish direction coming to mind "I wouldn't start from here if I were you"

Advertisement