Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have a happy new year?

Options
  • 01-01-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

The transfer window is open, lets hope Harry and Levy are singing from the same hymn sheet for the next month, yeah? The problem we will face is that other sides look far more attractive at this present time: Villa look a good bet to break the top 4 and offer CL football, plus the message sent by keeping Barry when the Mickeys came sniffing signals a real intent for the club to push on, team sheet>balance sheet shows real ambition on the field as opposed to off it. Everton will be in the hunt for a striker with Yakubu out for the season and Saha almost Anderton-like in his fitness, and they are pushing for European football as well. Citeh can offer stupid money, I just hope the Arabs cast their eyes towards the continent rather than around the PL, which might give us all some breathing space.

We are in real danger of relegation, make no bones about it. I thought with the Xmas season approaching we could get maximum points from Fulham and WBA, to be honest 1pt from 6 was unacceptable. Indeed, including Newcastle we should have picked up 7pts in total, instead we settled for 1. To put that in some context, if we had done as I expected we'd be in 9th place, only 1 point behind Hull!!!

IMO, we will need 44+ points to stay up this season, as I believe Blackburn will start to pick up points now that Allardyce is there, which leaves Stoke and WBA floundering and the rest of the bottom half of the table trying to avoid that last relegation spot. That means we need 24 points from our last 18 games, that's 8 wins from the following:

Fixtures

Wigan (A) 1
    Portsmouth (H) 3
    Stoke (H) 3
    Bolton (A) 0
    Arsenal (H) 1
    Hull (A) 1
    Sunderland (A) 1
    Middlesbrough (H) 3
    Aston Villa (A) 0
    Chelsea (H) 0
    Blackburn (A) 1
    West Ham (H) 3
    Newcastle (H) 1
    Man Utd (A) 0
    West Brom (H) 3
    Everton (A) 0
    Man City (H) 3
    Liverpool (A) 0

That's bang on 24 points :eek:

A lot will depend on how Redknapp manages to perform in the transfer market, but also how other teams do as well. I can see the Goons rolling over us if they recruit in the window, and Citeh might do better in May at the Lane with a new manager...;)

Our season hinges on this coming month, both on and off the field. We absolutely cannot afford to lose to Burnley in the Carling Cup semis, we need European football next year or we will see a lot of agent activity in the months preceeding the summer. And we need 'Arry to get it right with the players who come in, not just players to help us out of our rut but players who can help us develop next season as well.

There's always hope, wouldn't be fun being a Spurs fan if there wasn't.

Happy new year to you all, see all some of you in Wembley on 1st March.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

We are in real danger of relegation, make no bones about it. I thought with the Xmas season approaching we could get maximum points from Fulham and WBA, to be honest 1pt from 6 was unacceptable. Indeed, including Newcastle we should have picked up 7pts in total, instead we settled for 1. To put that in some context, if we had done as I expected we'd be in 9th place, only 1 point behind Hull!!!

my sntiments exactly on this. i thought with the fixtures on the day of the wba game with a win we could put some distance between our selves and the chasing pack but our lack lustered strike force never looked like breaking the deadlock and the lonmger the game went on the more and more likely we were to get nothin from this game.

good honest(not tru spurs eyes) assestment of our situstion here reckless and our remaining matches and predictions are not far off in my opinion.

ill be in london for march 1st. still hopefull or a ticket, was really disappointed last season not to get one but here hopes. just hope its not burnley playing man u or derby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Such a weird league table. Here we are, out of the relegation places only on goal difference and yet only 3/4 pts off 10th place. Few wins are we'll be talking about top 6.

Such a weird league table. Here we are, out of the relegation places only on goal difference and yet only 3/4 pts off 10th place. Few wins are we'll be talking about top 6.

its the closest league both top and bottom for a good while and it keeps it really interesting.

just as well we got the good start we did under harry or we would be clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

We have been a few wins away from mid table safety for a while now, the problem is we havent been able to pick up those wins. The christmas period being a perfect example, results elswhere went our way but we couldnt capitalise. I just hope we dont go to anfield on the last day of the season with both teams needing results!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

it oks dark enough, but we must remember that Spurs gave everyone an eight game start. If the season had started when harry arrived we would be fairly comfortable. I think we'll pick up strange points and drop annoying ones. Chelsea at home- why not, and so on. Like you all, the key is signings. Defoe, and a DM. I think for the left bale and O Hara are good enough options, as good as downing. Bentley needs to settle or be offloaded, and bringing in downing wrotes him off. if Zokora really is wanted for 10-12mill, let him off and spend it on a genuine dm. Dawson and Lennon are firing again, and fill 2 holes. Here's hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Our most important game since lasange-gate
    If we lose we will probabally be relagated.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

2-1 stoke - cant see you's winning . . . stoke are too physical. . .it will be a very good match though and i hope you can do it. . .

ive said it before but a win is a must. nothing else will do. we need to put distance between us and the chasing pack. a few wins in there and we can be talking about a european spot finsh. not likely but its that close.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If we dont get the full three points, we will go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We have Stoke, Hull city and Boro next 3 games. if we could win all three what a dif it would make to us,there was a time not so long ago that you would put your house spurs beating those 3 teams but not these days...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

A few articles in the papers over the weekend about what total will avoid the drop. The consenus seems to be that 38-40 points should see safety.

If 40 points is the marker can we get the 5 or so wins required?

Squeaky bum time for the spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

tippspur wrote: »
    We have Stoke, Hull city and Boro next 3 games. if we could win all three what a dif it would make to us,there was a time not so long ago that you would put your house spurs beating those 3 teams but not these days...:(

We dont , we have stoke (h) , bolton (a) and arsenal (h) next 3 games and lets be fair the way were playin at present i reckon stoke is the only one we'll win.

On a seperate note did ye see the way judas berb celebrated that goal on saturday....clown!

anyone know how i change my loggin name lads?????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

BERBA wrote: »
    On a seperate note did ye see the way judas berb celebrated that goal on saturday....clown!

Stop being so precious, Defoe celebrated vs Pompey last week. Both players got abuse from their former club's fans, I couldn't give a fcuk if he celebrated or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

BERBA wrote: »
    We dont , we have stoke (h) , bolton (a) and arsenal (h) next 3 games and lets be fair the way were playin at present i reckon stoke is the only one we'll win.

I's agree If we get 4 points out of these games we'll be doing well.

Beating Stoke is simply a must, God can you imagine how screwed we would be if we didn't go on that run when Harry took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Have merged these three threads because there's points on all of them worth reading

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Stoke (h) - win
    Stoke's away form is sh1te

Bolton (a) - draw
    Bolton are struggling for goals in their home games

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Looking at what Harry did at pompey, it took until easter before the results really kicked in. I think we won't go down, simply because I'm a bloody optimist. We can go down, that's for sure.
    One point to be made though, is that no really big club - big 4 + ourselves, Everton, Villa, have not gone down for a long time now. Forest were a big club in a small town, Leeds a big club run by charlies.
    I'm not Levy's biggest fan, but we have spent money. He may have learned a lot from the jol/commoli/ramos soap opera. He now has to stick for a while. Cudicini is the type of signing we haven't made since Arnesen brought in Naybit and Davids. I think there will be two more. he obviously wants a striker and a left sided player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

yep,your right my mistake...

Advertisement