Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Flooring

Options
  • 01-01-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I have started to floor the attic with standard attic chipboard flooring, i have reached a room where there is downlighters into the bedroom. They are not the low voltage type they are just hooked up to the mains
    is it safe to floor over these or should i stop
    help is apreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

There should be no problem flooring over the downlighters once insulation has been pulled back around the lights as is. Assuming they are using halogen bulbs at present, replacing them with CFL or LED equivalents should reduce the heat generated a huge amount making the whole thing much less of a safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭brown bear

ok, nice one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You can buy a "Fire hood" at any Electrical wholesalers, put over the downlighter to prevent it burning or scorching anything. Some people suggest using SMA babyfood tins or buiscuit tins as a cheap alternative! See other thread on subject.

Main thing is to keep clear area around fitting so fitting doesn't overheat.

Advertisement