Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I was caught driving in a bus lane

Options
  • 01-01-2009 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I was caught yesterday by a garda drving in the bus lane and i was signalled to pull over. He and a colleague were already talking to another road user in a different car he must have pulled over and I waited for about 5 minutes until he walked over to mine. He warned me about driving in the bus lane and that I should not do it aagin and then he told me he would not issue me with a ticket and told me to pull back into the right lane. He seemed fairly sound. Can I still expect a ticket or fine in the post or would that be the end of the matter. He then proceeded back to the woman in the other car. Hopefully i won't get a fine. I know I did wrong and I have learned my lesson

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think you got away with it.
    And since you know you were wrong and didn't argue back, they won't follow it up.
    If you'd been smart or said something daft, they'd check everything and and sure to issue a fine.

Common sense in play and most bikers could confirm if you drive safetly down a buslane, they don't mind. Yes, it's a law not being enforced but one of many.

You are a car driver though so it's not quite the same (congestion wise) but you got away with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Make sure you buy a lotto ticket today.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Sound Garda!!! Caught him in the holiday spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

:rolleyes:

TBH i think your a knob for driving in a bus lane

But its not the worst thing you could do on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Sounds like you got away with it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@veryangryman - warning for abusive language.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Yeah you definitely got away with it, nothing further will come your way.

Most people don't realize most of the bus lanes are closed on Sundays and alot of them are not in operation 24-7, if you actually read the signs on them you can be allowed to use them during certain hours!

I'm in the practice of checking this every time im out and often make use of them when they are not in operation, yeah some people give you looks but in fairness the roads there to be used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Whats a bus lane? we dont got dem ere in d countryside

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

:rolleyes:

TBH i think your a knob for driving in a bus lane

Get off your high horse.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cendant

JackFrosty wrote: »
    Whats a bus lane? we dont got dem ere in d countryside

Sure you do. I had to reverse for half a mile in Beara once to give way to a coach full of hamburger-looking tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

billyhead wrote: »
    He warned me about driving in the bus lane and that I should not do it aagin and then he told me he would not issue me with a ticket and told me to pull back into the right lane.

I think you answered your own question:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Why are Guards checking for bus-lane users on Christmas week - when there is hardly any traffic and the buses can move freely.
    Wouldn't their time be better spent checking for dangerous driving on narrow roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

kuro_man wrote: »
    Why are Guards checking for bus-lane users on Christmas week - when there is hardly any traffic and the buses can move freely.
    Wouldn't their time be better spent checking for dangerous driving on narrow roads?

Jeez, Sing It. All the effort put into policing well marked out city roads. Nothing ever happens to the a$$hole-o-mios who dive into corners up to and over half way over the line. Had a close call with a kamakazee Transit near Roscrea yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

You mean transfer all the gardai from Kevin St to Bally-go-backward during the Christmas so they can police narrow roads (there not being many narrow roads in Dublin) and then move them back to Kevin St in the New year (there not being many bus lanes in the country)? Good plan! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just as mater of interest. If you're driving in an out of operation bus lane and come to a junction that has left turn except for buses sign/road markings. Are you supposed to get back into the traffic lane or is it OK to continue straight on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

QUOTE]

I suspect this occured outside the UCI on the Malahide road. There was a long traffic jam and Buses/Taxis where being held up because so many people where in the bus lane.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The-Game wrote: »
    Yeah you definitely got away with it, nothing further will come your way.

Most people don't realize most of the bus lanes are closed on Sundays and alot of them are not in operation 24-7, if you actually read the signs on them you can be allowed to use them during certain hours!

I'm in the practice of checking this every time im out and often make use of them when they are not in operation, yeah some people give you looks but in fairness the roads there to be used!

Shhhh! Dont be telling people! I like having my own lane in Dublin City between 10:30-12!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just as mater of interest. If you're driving in an out of operation bus lane and come to a junction that has left turn except for buses sign/road markings. Are you supposed to get back into the traffic lane or is it OK to continue straight on?
    I think the left turn only sign is there because the last 30m of lane before the junction is for general use (buses, taxis and cars turning left) in normal bus operating hours.

Outside of bus hours they may be used as you would a normal lane.

That's my interpretation anyway. I haven't ever got pulled up for it.

OT: Anyone else see the Garda speed trap just before the Radisson, Stillorgan rd. heading north last night @8 or 9pm. For anyone who knows this stretch theres a bit of a blind bend just after the Esso garage, nothing too severe unless you're driving in a the bus lane (perfectly legal @60km/h) with a Mondeo (no strobes) blocking your lane.

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

unkel wrote: »
    @veryangryman - warning for abusive language.

just wonderingvwhy knob is abusive language

I too hate people that skip the ques and travel down bus or taxi lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Fol20 wrote: »

I too hate people that skip the ques and travel down bus or taxi lanes

I would hazard a guess that Unkel does this too and wishes to defend this bad-karma practice.

Anyhoo, while i said he "is a knob", i meant that he was "being a knob" doing that.

I have already broken my resolution to stop rebelling against the power tripping mods.... ah well :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Fol20 wrote: »

Would you like to be referred to as a Penis? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think the left turn only sign is there because the last 30m of lane before the junction is for general use (buses, taxis and cars turning left) in normal bus operating hours.

Outside of bus hours they may be used as you would a normal lane.

That's my interpretation anyway. I haven't ever got pulled up for it.

I was thinking the same. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

OP You need to get yourself a Fake Nose and Glasses :rolleyes:

Check out the commentry on this video LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-M-yTb1CY&feature=channel_page

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think we're done here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement