Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Voice Recognition Satnav's ? Any taximan's advice ?

Options
  • 01-01-2009 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Buddy of mine started as a taxi man before xmas and is thinking of getting a satnav. Only thing is he says he needs one with voice recognition so that if someone asks him to bring him to XXXX street, he can enter it into the sat nav by voice and it will give him directions. He says he does not want one where he has to type in the address himself as he may as well just look at the map instead. Also will it have much information on hotels, restaurants etc and can he update it by downloading from the web. Only wants it for Dubalin.

I hear that Garmin ones are good and TomTom are rubbish ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

It's all about the mapping, and not the hardware!
    Off topic i know, but tbh, you're mate should know his way around our capital if he's going to be a proper taxi-driver.
    Its no wonder the trade is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

DublinDes wrote: »

I hear that Garmin ones are good and TomTom are rubbish ?

I have had the same Tom Tom around 4 years. The Tom Tom One 1st edition and it does everything I need it to and has never failed once.

Out on country roads I can be off by as much as 20mtrs but not very often. City centre driving is quite efficient except for the red cow roundabout. The Sat Nav mapping updates cannot keep up with the changes.

It does not have a remote control, or read back stories to me, or work as an MP3 player but I dont need it to. It works off an SD card which is handy because if your friend has the best maps on his computer then you can download them onto your own SD card.

Voice recognition - I have never heard of this and I was looking at a New Sat Nav recently. You do not have to type in the entire address anyway. If Im looking for a street in Dublin I select, street address, Dublin, and then if its dorset street by the time I have do typed in its bring up a list of everything starting with DO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have a TT920 and have had very few problems with it . I work Dublin and surrounding areas . Has VR and you can find very good POI files for Hotels / Pubs / Resteraunts etc on the web as well as on TT Home .

If he wants to talk to me directly drop me a PM .

Also there is a GPS Forum overe HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I have a TomTom Go V1...cant complain about it. used to be a bit slow to respond in dublin, but they updated the software and works fine now. lots of new roads have opened since i bought it, so it obviously gets lost on new motorways and link roads. the only road it got lost on up til then though was between trim and navan. i kept ending up drifting in fields, according to it. a new tomtom will see you right!

Advertisement