Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Football Manager peaked??

Options
  • 01-01-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

So I've decided I really can't take FM09 anymore, and have reverted back to FM08. I've seen a good few other posters say they are going back to older versions, on this forum and SI's.

Out of couriosity, does anybody here think that FM has peaked?? Has the game gone as far as it can go bar some serious overhaul or rejuvenation?? Put bugs and general bad development aside, I'm talking about the simple thrill from a lot of FM09's predecessors that I couldn't find in FM09, for whatever reason. I dunno, maybe it's just because they felt newer at the time.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone feels FM has peaked, and if so, in what year?? I'm going to throw 2008 on the table...

And for the purpose of this discussion, the older Championship Managers are of course allowed. For example, for some reason, I recall 99/00 and 00/01 as being memorable renditions of this game, more enjoyable than FM09 which imho is a step backwards.

Anywhoo, has the game peaked?? Any thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

can't say i agree with you mate. FM09 is the best so far in my opinion. Since the latest patch came out' i've had no problems. It's certainly harder than previous seasons but that just makes it more of a challenge. I know people are complaining of it running slowly but it's really fast loading on my macbook pro. I think the 3d match engine really adds to the game and i'd buy fm09 just for that over previous versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The amount of years I played 01/02 for because I didn't like the games they were bringing out was rediculous. Played it for about 5 years until the first FM came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

So I've decided I really can't take FM09 anymore, and have reverted back to FM08. I've seen a good few other posters say they are going back to older versions, on this forum and SI's.

Out of couriosity, does anybody here think that FM has peaked?? Has the game gone as far as it can go bar some serious overhaul or rejuvenation?? Put bugs and general bad development aside, I'm talking about the simple thrill from a lot of FM09's predecessors that I couldn't find in FM09, for whatever reason. I dunno, maybe it's just because they felt newer at the time.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone feels FM has peaked, and if so, in what year?? I'm going to throw 2008 on the table...

And for the purpose of this discussion, the older Championship Managers are of course allowed. For example, for some reason, I recall 99/00 and 00/01 as being memorable renditions of this game, more enjoyable than FM09 which imho is a step backwards.

Anywhoo, has the game peaked?? Any thoughts??

I think you are lost in nostalgia. What is FM09 really, but a small update of FM08. The only major difference from FM08 is the 3D match engine and the fact that you can now play the game in a higher resolution. Other then that the changes are minuscule.

No matter what game you play there are going to be those who don't like sequels and stick with the originals. We need FM09 to push the series forward otherwise we would be stuck in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I got annoyed with FM 09, so went back to 08 aswell.
    I don't know if its peaked tbh, this game is very buggy but it could just be a blip (hopefully it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

CM 01/02 was the best with great players like Maxim Tsigalko and Cherno Samba. that was great fun.

This year is good just SI have made a bit of a mess with the installation process and ts abit slow. Next year will be a bigger challenge as they will have to get rid of all the mistakes they made this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I agree CM01/02 was brilliant, but if I was going to pick out one that truly stands out, it'd be FM2007. Everything bout that game just seemed to be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

the changes are minuscule.

My point exactly...this would lead one to believe that last year, it had in fact, peaked...
    No matter what game you play there are going to be those who don't like sequels and stick with the originals. We need FM09 to push the series forward otherwise we would be stuck in the past.

Very true. But has FM09 brought the series forward??
    I got annoyed with FM 09, so went back to 08 aswell.
    I don't know if its peaked tbh, this game is very buggy but it could just be a blip (hopefully it is)

Yup. I just had to go back to 08, and probably would have gone back further had I copies of the older versions...
    Zatman wrote: »
    Next year will be a bigger challenge as they will have to get rid of all the mistakes they made this year

They haven't released a mistake free version in a very long time.
    deise59 wrote: »
    I agree CM01/02 was brilliant, but if I was going to pick out one that truly stands out, it'd be FM2007. Everything bout that game just seemed to be perfect.

Exactly, and what advances have they really made since then?? I could take or leave the 3d match engine personally...and gauging from opinion, I'd guess that so could most people...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I don't have many copies of the games over the years, have 01/02, 2005, 2007, 2009. I just couldn't be overly bothered buying it every year. But after the slightly annoying installation on-goings, I absolutely love the game(2009). I find the 3D match engine to be brilliant, a lot more fun to watch. And the higher resolution means that the game isn't cutting out with warnings bout said resolution, so runs fine. I have absolutely no complaints with this version. Look forward to getting back to it soon after a bit of a break from it.

2005 and 2007 were decent, more so 07. Not overly gone on 2005. But then 01/02 is just brilliant. Such a fun game that one was able to fly through each season. Yeah, can be argued that it was too easy then, but for casual playing, it was always fun. I'm scouring shops looking for copies now, just to have it again, as I cant find my original disk:(. So 01/02 or 2009 would be the best ones IMO.

Played the in-between years ones aswell, and would easily stick with my opinion on the games.

Advertisement