Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hull demand referee investigation

• 01-01-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Hull demand referee investigation

Thursday, 1 January 2009 12:20
    Hull are demanding an investigation into claims that a third party was behind Steve Bennett's decision to overturn a late penalty in Tuesday night's 1-0 defeat to Aston Villa.

Bennett initially awarded Hull an injury-time spot-kick when he though Ashley Young had handled the ball on the line, but then changed his mind after talking to his assistant Andy Halliday, who correctly told him the ball had struck the bar.

But there are now claims that a third party illegally used video replays and the officials' earpieces to advise them, and that has angered Tigers chairman Paul Duffen.

'All we are saying is that the events bring into question who exactly did influence the referee,' Duffen said in the Daily Mail.
    'I would like a report from the match officials and confirmation of who was talking in the earpiece. There is a concern that somebody (else) was using video evidence.'

Premier League rules do not allow third party influence or the use of video replays.

'I have spoken to the Premier League's chief executive Richard Scudamore this morning and he assured me he will ask some questions and come back to me,' Duffen added.

'We are most concerned about the integrity of the competition and that some form of video evidence isn't being introduced by officials on a discretionary basis.'

Duffen does not deny that the decision not to award the penalty was correct, but was concerned by the manner in which the officials reached their decision.

'Once Steve Bennett had awarded the penalty - and he is not known as a referee who is easily swayed - he didn't have any doubt about the decision,' he said.

'We don't see any way the linesman could have had a view of it and he did not attract the referee's attention at all.
    'But at the point Bennett went across to talk to (Halliday), the linesman was obviously listening to someone in his earpiece while Bennett was standing next to him.

'It did look to all who were there as if the linesman was relaying information he was getting in his earpiece from somewhere else in the ground.'

A Premier League spokesman told the Mail that video screens have been removed from technical areas so that replays cannot be seen.
    'The assistant communicated with Steve Bennett his view of the incident and as a result of that he has made the correct decision, ' the spokesman said. 'As part of the 'Get on with the Game' programme, screens have been removed from the technical area so there is no access to video replays.'

This should be interesting. Even if not for the reasons they are claiming I thought that there was intent based on the Villa player on the line who quite clearly raised his hand then pulled it away as he knew the ball was going to go over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

conspiracy theory forum tbh

:rolleyes::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Linesman makes correct descision shocker! No one can belive such a thing could happen so it must be a conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Get over it i say, one of the best footballers ever was sent off by TV evidence in alot bigger of a match than this. They made the right decision so leave it be.

Happy new year folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Hull will make no friends for this. As the quality of their football, and their results have diminished, their goodwill amongst armchair,neutral,and fantasist fans will too.

The right decision was made. The consultation was spot on. Well done to the refereee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Linesman makes correct descision shocker! No one can belive such a thing could happen so it must be a conspiracy.

The problem is not that he made the right decision (except missing the fact that it should have been a corner) but the linesman looked very much like he was being told what happened after it beign reviewed.

I'm all for video replays but at the moment they are not used and shouldnt be called upon the odd time when it suits someone. We either allow human error (ref giving the peno) or eliminate it with video replayes. You cnat have both methods used in teh same game. Where was the reviews for the diallowed goal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Maybe he was talking to the other linesman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Hull have a right to be aggrieved, but there is a certain futility in protesting what is a correct decision. In contrast the hullabaloo that would have erupted if the penalty was awarded & converted means that this a storm in a teacup of sour grapes.

Also what happened to cards for surrounding the ref? The whole Villa team was around him screaming at him.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Maybe he was talking to the other linesman?

Why hav'nt they just come out and said that then?

Was the other linesman not about 50 yards away anyway? Whay help could he be? He'd have the same angle as the ref only a lot further away, no chance of him beign any use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Stekelly wrote: »
    Also what happened to cards for surrounding the ref? The whole Villa team was around him screaming at him.

can you imagine that pen was given against united, chelsea or arsenal?

i think our boys were quite reserved in their reaction considering how utterly awful the original call was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Hull have a right to be aggrieved, but there is a certain futility in protesting what is a correct decision. In contrast the hullabaloo that would have erupted if the penalty was awarded & converted means that this a storm in a teacup of sour grapes.
    wtf:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

I didn't see the incident and am only going on what I read since the incident, but does anyone know if the ref / linesman can get advice from the fourth official that didn't come from video replay's or are the fourth officials duties limited only to subs / extra time and occasionally pacifying an irate manager?

Granted it might not be applicable to this particular situation due to distance from the incident but in principle can the fourth official pipe in with a differing opinion?

as far as i know the whole refereeing team can pass on anything theyve seen for the refs consideration. only if theyve seen it in real time tho

but i might be wrong on that

Helix wrote: »
    can you imagine that pen was given against united, chelsea or arsenal?

i think our boys were quite reserved in their reaction considering how utterly awful the original call was

I dont see how you can say it was an awfull decision. Forget for a minute it was Villa. Now see what the ref is seeing in real time. a player jumps on the line to handle a ball and comes very close. It would be very easy to give that as contact. Especially without the aid of video replays, which is kind of the point of the thread.
    as far as i know the whole refereeing team can pass on anything theyve seen for the refs consideration. only if theyve seen it in real time tho

but i might be wrong on that

Was there not a decision ear;ier in the season where a manager was talking to a fouth official just after a major decision (cant remember if it was offside or what ) and the fouth official said he cant interfere in those thigns.

I dont see how you can say it was an awfull decision. Forget for a minute it was Villa. Now see what the ref is seeing in real time. a player jumps on the line to handle a ball and comes very close. It would be very easy to give that as contact.

it looks nothing like he handled it

his arm didnt reach the height of the ball when it bounced over until it was long since behind the bar and goal line

it was never anything even resembling a handball ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Surely, the referee isn't the 1 that can be punished anyway. It'd be the linesman, no?

it looks nothing like he handled it

his arm didnt reach the height of the ball when it bounced over until it was long since behind the bar and goal line

it was never anything even resembling a handball ffs

Thats all easy to say when you have that nice straight on, high view that was on the tv, completely different in real time, diagionally looking slightly up from 20 yards away.

His hand was up at the height of the crossbar btw.

It was obviously enough like a handball, FFS , for the ref to give the peno in the first place, no?

Thats all easy to say when you have that nice straight on, high view that was on the tv, completely different in real time, diagionally looking slightly up from 20 yards away.

His hand was up at the height of the crossbar btw.

It was obviously enough like a handball, FFS , for the ref to give the peno in the first place, no?

no, it was a shocker of a decision. the hull players half heartedly shouted for it, and you could see they didnt expect diddly from it. look at mcshane next time you see it, hes straight in front of it and not expecting anything from it

also, youngs hand doesnt go the height of the crossbar until the ball has gone behind, for the record

for a ref to think that it was a penalty is absolutely shambolic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Nothing to do with your bias of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Having had a particular disdain for Mr. brown since the season started, I heartily chuckle at how his true colours have come to light over the recent weeks.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with your bias of course

its really not

how are people ACTUALLY arguing about this like he was right to give it or something?

its probably the worst decision of the season, regardless of whether he reversed it or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

its probably the worst decision of the season, regardless of whether he reversed it or not

This man called, several times, he disagrees with you.

how are people ACTUALLY arguing about this like he was right to give it or something?

Whos argueing that it should have been given?

I was quite clearly a close decision , especially in real time from where the ref was. He didnt give it for a ****ign laugh for christs sake.

I take it that match was the first bit of premiership football you've seen this season so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkJF3RF91mc

Theres a still of it just as it hits the crossbar 37 secs in or so.

Advertisement