Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Contemplating the 10k race in Rathdrum tomorrow so this morning's run was nice an easy, up and around the local hill. Ran with the dog and met a fellow neighbour running up there so the run flew by chatting away. Ankle is still nagging me so it might be that I just need to rest completely. I'll make a call on the run in the morning. I've food for thought too about whether I should be continuing to harbour thoughts of this year's DCM. If I was doing it I would be doing it for enjoyment, not aiming for any PB thats for sure. If I don't shape off my niggles though I'm losing mileage and I shouldn't stupidly throw myself into overtraining from a lower mileage base. Time will tell I suppose.

Headed off to Rathdrum this morning and did a light jog around the grounds to convince myself I could run, if not race, this one. Did about 2k and was happy enough, so registered and did a bit more stretching / warm up.

Bumped into lots of familiar faces from imra races. Nice to meet Asiminov too who recognised me in the Boards AC vest.

As we gathered at the start line I was thinking to myself to run comfortably and try to not put the ankle under pressure. Easier said that done. The route was 2 laps of a 5k circuit of local roads just outside the grounds of Avondale. A pity it wasn't a trail race within the grounds of Avondale.. but thats a wish that might be granted another day.

Conditions were dry and cool and would have been perfect had it not been for the wind which was blowing strong which was to have a major affect on some of the splits. On each circuit you were running with a side wind then a head wind, then benefitted I suppose by the wind at your back. My splits were up and down but consistent with the conditions. I ran the headwind bits like I was running uphill... head down, one step at a time. I was fortunate as the race progressed to have other runners around me and just ahead of me so I had people chasing me and to chase. This worked well for me and I gained ground on those around me.. not losing any places really from the start. Gained a few places in the last 2k too as the pace heated up. Went past a lady in the last 1k, could have been the 1st lady runner ?

Finished in 39:21 which is about 25 secs off my PB. Very very happy with that considering I'm not 100% fit, the conditions were testing enough and I'm not doing any specific speed work which would obviously help your 10k race.

Fastest k; 3:37min (last one); Slowest k 4:15min (2nd lap into the headwind)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11289493
    Great organisation by Bill Porter and locals made this a most enjoyable race. The marshalling on the roads was excellent. A bottle of water and medal into the hand as you crossed the line. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Headed off to Rathdrum this morning and did a light jog around the grounds to convince myself I could run, if not race, this one. Did about 2k and was happy enough, so registered and did a bit more stretching / warm up.

Bumped into lots of familiar faces from imra races. Nice to meet Asiminov too who recognised me in the Boards AC vest.

As we gathered at the start line I was thinking to myself to run comfortably and try to not put the ankle under pressure. Easier said that done. The route was 2 laps of a 5k circuit of local roads just outside the grounds of Avondale. A pity it wasn't a trail race within the grounds of Avondale.. but thats a wish that might be granted another day.

Conditions were dry and cool and would have been perfect had it not been for the wind which was blowing strong which was to have a major affect on some of the splits. On each circuit you were running with a side wind then a head wind, then benefitted I suppose by the wind at your back. My splits were up and down but consistent with the conditions. I ran the headwind bits like I was running uphill... head down, one step at a time. I was fortunate as the race progressed to have other runners around me and just ahead of me so I had people chasing me and to chase. This worked well for me and I gained ground on those around me.. not losing any places really from the start. Gained a few places in the last 2k too as the pace heated up. Went past a lady in the last 1k, could have been the 1st lady runner ?

Finished in 39:21 which is about 25 secs off my PB. Very very happy with that considering I'm not 100% fit, the conditions were testing enough and I'm not doing any specific speed work which would obviously help your 10k race.

Fastest k; 3:37min (last one); Slowest k 4:15min (2nd lap into the headwind)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11289493
    Great organisation by Bill Porter and locals made this a most enjoyable race. The marshalling on the roads was excellent. A bottle of water and medal into the hand as you crossed the line. Nice one.

Great running. Friend of mine ran in top 5 and was 1 min of target so it was a tough one. Keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done SJ, a 10k PB is a good end to a great week of running for you. Well done again.

Thanks. My writing should have been clearer.. Didn't PB today, but didn't expect to. PB is sub 39 which would have been possible if the wind hadn't been so severe :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cheers. Theres an interesting mountain running article in the latest Runnersworld too. No online link though.

Good article on the Running Fitness site about mountain running http://www.runningfitnessmag.co.uk/article-details.asp?ArticleID=75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good run today SJ considering, don't push that ankle until it's ready.
    3826395749_fc6187cf3a.jpg
    Full set uploading now - The OH is just back so I'm off to Glenealy for a jog around the woods.

Many thanks. Will do...

Carrick Mountain or Deputy's pass? Nice evening for it.

Very nice pictures. Really vivid colours.

Carrick..I think, took the turn to the right just after Kelly sheds, up that road after about 2 miles there is access, didn't fancy the climbing, this route only had 156m of ascent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good run today SJ considering, don't push that ankle until it's ready.
    3826395749_fc6187cf3a.jpg
    Full set uploading now - The OH is just back so I'm off to Glenealy for a jog around the woods.

Well done SJ on recent races and looking good in the singlet :D it's got some exposure this weekend. Don't forget for the Pearl izumi, as there will be a group photo to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done SJ. Nice result

Beepbeep won't believe this after seeing me hobble away from yesterday's race.. Surprised myself this evening by feeling okay and not at all tired or sore after yesterday's race. Ordinarily Monday's are given over to slow recovery runs. This evening brought the dog out for a run and headed up the hill but pushed the pace a bit up and down without keeling over. 8.4k in 40 mins flat with 280m of ascent. Great great evening for a run. One of those runs I'd like to bottle.

:eek::eek: - Bottle what you had for breakfast and start selling it - :D:D

Dark clouds and some rain appeared as I arrived home for work and the thoughts of heading out for a run weren't madly appealing. However, the body works in mysterious ways. Headed out, with training partner Oscar the dog in tow and into woods beside the house. Did a hilly loop which consisted of a short steep climb followed by a out and back shallow descent, and took it relatively handy. Then did it again and again. 5 times in total. Each time I took on the short hill and coasted the rest but I noticed the pace picking up each time. About half way through I was averaging 4:30 min kms. By the time I finished I had covered a total of 9k in an overall average of 4:10, which is quite above a needed sub 3 marathon pace (4:15). I was fairly jellied legged at the finish and the last 2 climbs were hard. Reckong the total climb was around 200m. The dog must have thought I was bonkers doing the same loop 5 times. Chuffed with run. Very tough going at the end and maybe I take it easy too often in training and some training sessions should be like this.
    Splits as follows: 5:11, 4:06, 4:30, 4:04, 4:13, 4:08, 3:40, 4:02, 3:33 :D

Easy peasy pace run for tomorrow evening!!

Got a text last night to say that I was 3rd M40 in the 10k last Sunday. Yippee. Still awaiting overall results.

This evening met up with Beepbeep67 at a rainy Glenealy for an easy run up and around the trails of Carrick mountain. This hill is on my way home and is a great local resource. Ended up not being too easy. The trails were very wet and muddy in places and the way the trails twist, turn and overlap its easy to take a wrong trail and end up running too long or too short. Our run ended up being longer than planned at 13.6k, in 72 mins with c 500m of ascents thrown in for good measure. It passed quickly with good conversation. Good overall pace at 5:18 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Got a text last night to say that I was 3rd M40 in the 10k last Sunday. Yippee. Still awaiting overall results.

This evening met up with Beepbeep67 at a rainy Glenealy for an easy run up and around the trails of Carrick mountain. This hill is on my way home and is a great local resource. Ended up not being too easy. The trails were very wet and muddy in places and the way the trails twist, turn and overlap its easy to take a wrong trail and end up running too long or too short. Our run ended up being longer than planned at 13.6k, in 72 mins with c 500m of ascents thrown in for good measure. It passed quickly with good conversation. Good overall pace at 5:18 too.

well done sj! Two prizes in a week? Is there a living to be made from the m40 cat ? :)

Defo :) The trick is to pick races where theres a dearth of other M40 runners..

Tired this evening but had to get out to walk the dog so togged off and ran the dog instead for a bit. Did 7k in 35 mins up and down hill. Ran just after heavy rain. Wet and mucky trails again. There is something magical though about running through the forest after rain. The air is so pure and it really wakes you up.

Was stuck for time this evening but didn't fancy running in the rain. Opted for the fallback option of the treadie which I've been avoiding as much as possible. Still, happy to do 9k in just under 36 mins, 3:59 min/k average pace. Had intended doing some km intervals but kept it going.

A race to forget for me, but with lessons learned. I'd recced this route a few weeks back so I was reasonably confident of the route. The turnout was small by imra standards. Only 19 starters. A combination of competing events on the calendar and a bad weather forecast probably were the key affecting factors.

Lug FRG is a great route, and tough going. And thats in good weather. In bad conditions it takes on another complexion. I ran conservatively enough at the start and a lead group including Dermot and Zoran detached itself on the trail section. A slow starting Bernard went past me at the waterfall and headed off into the distance.

Cloud closed in and despite carefully counting the tributaries of the carrawaystick brook on the way up I found myself in an unfamilar little valley with steep walls. Nevertheless I knew Lug was up there to the right so I followed a gulley up and from there following the incline on the grassy platteau. I was then in familar territory despite the crap conditions with a savage wind blowing misty rain. Saw Zoran just ahead of me to the right and it was comforting to see other runners. Soon we were met by Dermot and Bernard coming in the other direction so I knew we didn't have far to go to the summit. Within 30 seconds we were probably there. That was as good as it got in the race for me. Didn't see Paul at the summit. Unknownst to us he had moved down the route to turn people back due to the worsening conditions.

Took a bearing from the top. The lesson I think is to stand still with the compass horizontal protected from the wind to get a correct bearing. Myself and Zoran proceeding to go left and compound our error by continuing left downhill, again perhaps due to more hasty bearing taking.

Picking up a fastrushing stream we following in the misplaced belief that this was going to FR glen. If only (it looks like this was the headwaters of the Slaney). Clouds lifted to show that we were looking down into Glen of Imaal and the evidence of spent shells on the hillsides confirmed that. So much for a good race result. From here it was a case of finding our way back on course and doing that safely. Didn't want to further compound things by going wrong again.

We'd lost a lot of height coming off Lug. Didn't fancy backtracking to a dark and brooding peak, so we proceeded to follow an east bearing up the hill beside us. Cannow mountain by the looks of it. Pretty poor going through high heather and mud sucking bog, so more of a hill walk than anything else. Still, it was good that there were the 2 of us together and we were well happy to trip down the far side of this hill to a familiar fast flowing brook leading into FRG, then back onto the trail once we'd negotiated the tricky 'path' along the cascading stream.

The race director was pretty happy to see us with everyone else accounted for. Not as happy as we were to see him. Myself and Zoran had run near 18k on what was scheduled to be a 10k race. A lot of climb done additionally. At least thats an LSR for the marathon ticked off.

Congrats to Bernard Fortune and Niamh O'Ceallaigh winners of the mens and ladies race accordingly. Myself and Zoran were closely tied in the very long course race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hard luck SJ, its a nightmare going wrong in those conditions. It's too easy to take a quick check of the compass when racing, rather than invest a few minutes assertaining the correct route. We really should look into a basic orienteering course for (certain) Boardsies. I'll be first in line;)

I'd be right with you. The conditions were really awful. Its easy (as demonstrated by me) to get a bit disoriented when you can't see anything beyond 10 meters and you're being blown off a mountain. A happy ending though and a good spread laid on in the Glenmalure Lodge after.

I owe myself to head up that hill some fine day and run it right so I feel better about it. I could join you on a training run on circuit of glenmacnass too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

happens to the best of us....

lol!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

We really should look into a basic orienteering course for (certain) Boardsies. I'll be first in line;)

As a matter of interest, what kind of navigation experience do you guys (Boards team) have? Is it generally self taught, or have you ever done any mountain navigation / leadership courses?

Many hill runners have an orienteering background and are very comfortable on the hills for races that need navigation. Many of the boardsies get by (self taught I think). I've been pretty ok, until today, and if visibility wasn't so terrible I would have been fine today as I'd recce'd the route a few weeks back. We can lobby imra for a basic navigation course and see who is interested.

Map of my excursion around Wicklow...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11785467
    Nice elevation...
    Happily this event didn't count in terms of my own Leinster Championship. Finished 5th overall and 3rd M40 :)
    Also on the plus side I spent 2hrs 50mins on my feet today running/walking, so I don't have to feel guilty about missing an LSR.

5 easy kilometres jogging with the dog in Annacurra woods as Twilight closed in. Legs surprisingly not sore from yesterday. Saw some deer scampering ahead on the trail. Oscar the dog didn't know what to make of them.

Reminded me of a highlight of yesterdays run when we saw a massive herd of deer running ahead of us off the slopes of Lug.

6k yesterday evening easy around hilly trails.

13k this evening at a good pace (4:25 min/k) on more hilly trails with the dog, who proceeded to go awol. After a bit of a search and a dash home, and back out again to rework the route, I got a call from the OH to say that the dog had found his way home. I was both reliefed and annoyed :rolleyes: Delighted with pace for the hilly route I did. Pace didn't drop below 5 min ks even on the worst uphill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

6k yesterday evening easy around hilly trails.

13k this evening at a good pace (4:25 min/k) on more hilly trails with the dog, who proceeded to go awol. After a bit of a search and a dash home, and back out again to rework the route, I got a call from the OH to say that the dog had found his way home. I was both reliefed and annoyed :rolleyes: Delighted with pace for the hilly route I did. Pace didn't drop below 5 min ks even on the worst uphill.

Lovable mutt gets lost in the hills, but still manages to find his way home: no prizes for guessing who's training him!;)

Advertisement