Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well he found his way home in good time. Guess he doesn't need to do the navigation course!

Didn't have a lot of time this evening so just a 7.6k loop on roads with 160m of climb in 4:31 min/k pace. Ran well on the hills and kept a decent clic going. Happy enough given the blustery conditions.

Realise now that the Kilmore 10k at the weekend won't suit. IMRA has an event on Saturday evening where Caitriona McKiernan is giving a talk so I want to go there, and thats Dublin not Wexford. My priority on coming weekends needs to be on getting the miles in so its an LSR instead of a race for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

My priority on coming weekends needs to be on getting the miles in so its an LSR instead of a race for me.

What's your LSR plan between now and the marathon SJ?

Howdy. I'm following a fairly loose plan compared to the rigid Hal Higdon plan I followed earlier in the year. This weekend I'll do 28k or so and I'll ramp up to 33k in the weeks before the DCM, so thats 5 or 6 decent length runs. Those will usually be Sunday. The Saturday I'll do a shorter marathon pace or easy runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

SJ, Are you heading to the Warriors run this weekend? Just wondering what faces from IMRA might be down there. I know Gohard is there anyway.

• Advertisement

No.. I didn't get the pass to go :) Theres a bunch of imra guys going. I'd expect TRunner and PeterX to be well up the pecking order. Not sure about Enduro, who was 2nd last year.

Lunchtime run today in what started with blustery conditions. Wind got stronger and the rain started to come done hard. Did a loop around Kill of the Grange. Did 9.6k at 4:28min/k pace. Bit of a slog really in conditions like this.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12063001

This wasn't fun. I posted recently about a run that was so good you'd like to bottle it. If I could bottle this one I'd hide the bottle.

On the plus side I set out to do at least 28k and I did just that. I also did a completely new route so there was the novelty factor and it was very nice in stretches (woodenbridge and avoca are particularly nice). Parts of it were too trafficy and can lack footpaths though. It was good conditions for running though and these days that can be a rare commodity.

On the negative side I found it difficult to get into any sort of running form. I was miles from the running 'zone' thats for sure. Beset by stomach cramps and 2 pitstops along the way, and even afterwards feeling not great. I'd my usual breakfast so I put it down to the seafood pizza I tried but didn't finish last night.

Still, I finished strongly and despite my problems I still ticked along at 4:52 min/k pace which included almost 400m of climb.

That done, I can relax and look forward to the imra event this evening which has Catriona McKiernan as a guest speaker.

Last evening we were treated to an audience with Caitriona McKiernan who spoke about her life of running. Inspirational stuff. We could all probably benefit from employed some of the chi running style that she also spoke of.

Today, legs were tired after yesterdays LSR and a slow recovery run beckoned. It coincided with imra having the 1st of 3 navigation challenge events, so off I went up to Cruagh Wood looking down over Dublin. A small group gathered at the start with maps in hand and we were given a control card with grid references to plot against the map. 7 controls in all, things like cairns, bridges, track junctions, ruin (Hell fire club)... It was my first such event and it was very enjoyable. It would have been an advantage to know the area in question, I didn't.. having only done 1 race in hellfire but no runs at all in Cruagh or Masseys wood. It was done at an easy pace for me at least which suited a recovery run. The controls were easy to find in some cases and in one case impossible to find (I daresay some motorbikers in the area hand removed it. They usually generate a bit of debate later with the organiser as to whether they were placed as per the grid reference etc.

This is less about navigation and more about route options.. Its usually a loop course. I took the scenic route from the last but one control, but this was meant to be a learning experience for me and I learned :). I missed the last control as a result and was way down the finishing order but good fun was had. Next NC is down my way in the Ow valley under the gaze of Lugnacoille.

Total distance: 19.3k; 6.47 min/k pace; 654m ascended. Pace is distorted by the amount of standing still looking at maps and searching sometimes in vain for controls.

Total distance for week: 88k

Yesterday:
    Easy recovery 5k on treadie as it was bucketing down rain outside and time was tight.

This evening:
    Great evening for it after crappy weather earlier. 9k comprising 5 laps of a trail in the woods beside the gaf. Same run as I did about 2 weeks ago. Comprises a short steep ascent then a shallow descent out and back and go again. Was like a mixture of a tempo run and hill run / interval run. Even though I'm not training per se for cross country this session was probably the bees knees for it. Did it in marathon pace (for me) 4:15 min/k. And dog walked / run into the bargain.

• Advertisement

Raining cats and dogs this evening and the first step out the door was the hardest. Took it easy up the hill.. 5k out and up, 5k down and back. 360m ascent, 5 min/k pace. Once you're wet you don't care. Happy afterwards.

Tready tempo run after work. 10k in 39:23. 3:56 min/k pace. Not the same as running outside but the weather wasn't quite amenable for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tready tempo run after work. 10k in 39:23. 3:56 min/k pace. Not the same as running outside but the weather wasn't quite amenable for that.

If that's your tempo run you may need to restate your 10k time for the Pearl :rolleyes:

you had me wondering so I double checked... My pace guide (from http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/paces.php) is as follows:-
    Race Equivalent Min
    pace time /km
    Marathon 02:59:59 04:16
    Half marathon 01:25:18 04:02
    Tempo pace 03:57
    10 km 38:49:00 03:53
    5 km 18:45 03:45
    3 km 10:54 03:38
    1 mile 05:34 03:28
    1 km 03:18 03:18
    800 metres 02:34 03:13
    400 metres 01:11 02:57
    200 metres 00:33 02:43
    so I was pretty spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the link. Seems quite different results to Mcmillan.
    Mcmillan sees my 5k (19:03) and 10mile (66:15) times as very consistent, whereas that runningforfitness link rates my 5k performance much higher than my 10 mile (almost a minute faster for 10k). I guess at the end of the day, they're only useful as reference material, and the proof is in the running.

Just ticked away today with a slow 5k at lunchtime in blustery conditions.

Yesterday:
    More of a walking day than a running day. Navigation course for the boards guys in Glendalough valley. Hugely informative and good to meet those boardsies I haven’t encountered yet before.
    Today:
    IMRA Nav Challenge 2, in Aghavannagh. The rain started to fall just before the small group of runners assembled for the start. We were given our control cards with the 5 grid references we need to locate en route. Controls 1 and 2 were road and trail junctions which served to bring us up onto the open mountain in the optimal way. Control 3 probably had some route opens attached, but in bad weather it was tough. A long and 4m high crag off to the side of Lybagh mountain. The track up to the top of this mountain was rough and boggy and peat stacks on the slopes meant you had to go up and down and around each obstacle in your path, which could throw your direction off. Used the compass as a guide to ensure I was on the due North bearing I needed to be. Around about the time I reckoned I should be seeing the crag for control 3 I spied one other runner in the vicinity and we effectively found the crag simultaneously as it emerged from the mist. 3 down 2 to go. The next control was an 11m high crag across the valley under the South Prison on Lug. As we descended we emerged in to clearer conditions and the valley floor opened up a bit. Wild goats scattered from our path as we contoured around a bit and crossed a few streams before the wall of the necessary crag greeted us. We were joined by a 3rd runner at that point and we turned and started down the Ow river valley in search of the next and last control. I was on my own again as the 2 runners disappeared into trees in search of the marked track on the map. I ventured into the woods too and literally stumbled, more by accident than design, onto the track in question. Heading downhill on decent track I was able to run at a decent speed for once today. I was greeted along the track by the race director who was on his way back around the course to start collecting back in the controls. He commented that the route option I was taken was a good one. The alternate, I found out later, would have led across open mountain which was much less runnable and more exposed to the bad weather. I was again joined by another runner here, Justin Keatinge, and it was timely too as my map had started to disintegrate despite being in a protective pouch. Justin effectively led me to the last control. From there it was a rough and tumble descent along a babbling brook, back onto the forest track and along that to the finish at Aghavannagh bridge. I think I finished 3rd having travelled the 18k course in 2 hrs 30. It was a good and much more fun substitute for the Long Slow road run I was supposed to do today. Roll on nav challenge 3 next week. Looking back at todays event I probably got a pass mark for my usage of the information I took on board yesterday at Glendalough. I probably would have done better (nav wise) if I could have made out more of the surroundings, but that’s what Irish weather will do for you.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12720619

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Good result SJ! No detours at all... You're setting the bar high after one lesson in navigation!

Felt tired and a bit sore this evening but fought the lethargy and got out to do some sort of recovery run. Did just over 5k of a newly discovered trail loop a few mins drive from the house. Steady uphill out, then fast downhill back. So much for recovery, as pace averaged 4:30. Feel better after doing that.

Got my registration in for the Pearl Izumi 10k this weekend. With luck the weather is favourable for once...

Got out at lunchtime today in blustery conditions and did 10.6k of a loop from Kill of the Grange, in 4:25min/k pace. Happy enough with that with tough hills up towards Foxrock church and then from Cherrywood. Very warm and humid despite the wind and some rain.

• Advertisement

Great evening for a run. Local hill run whilst 'walking' the dog. 11.3k with 350m of ascents. Kept a decent pace up and pushed the down. Slowest k: 5:47. Fastest: 3:06. 5 consecutive sub 4 min ks on the way back down. Good for the leg speed. Avg pace overall 4:26. Pretty good for me for a hill run.

Another great evening for running. Make the best of them while you can I suppose. Out with the dog and up the hill again, slower this evening after pushing it yesterday. Happy with the steady pace. I figure the hill work should help my 10k pace (if you do enough uphills the flat of roads will seem a lot easier).
    10.1k at 4:58 pace with 380m of ascent.

If Carlsberg made race days it'd be like this... :D

Rested yesterday with a view to being fresh today. Weather was absolutely superb. Couldn't have been better really. Felt good as I lined up on the start line with Dom and the other boardsies.

My PB for 10K was set at the Aware 10K last December in the park. It stood at 38:54. I knew I had a decent shout of doing better today, with good conditions and a relatively flat route.

Beforehand I reckoned that 38 mins was in reach as I've run 3:50 ks in training - not 10 back to back mind!

Started fast, but it was downhill, 3:25
    The next few were steadier.3:41, 3:48, 3:46, 3:47 For much of this I was running in the midst of a small group which was going at a nice pace and this helped.
    Half way split: 18:27
    The 2nd loop was bound to be slower with the legs getting heavier, but not too bad..
    03:41, :3:53, 03:55, 03:53, 3:30. Group had dispersed in the 2nd half and I was running with another guy. Dug in k by k.
    2nd half split: 18:52
    Overall time: 37:24; 3:45 min/k pace. PB well and truly broken by 90 secs.

Absolutely chuffed. To top the day, I picked up my new bike from cyclesuperstore.
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=23631

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

If Carlsberg made race days it'd be like this... :D

Rested yesterday with a view to being fresh today. Weather was absolutely superb. Couldn't have been better really. Felt good as I lined up on the start line with Dom and the other boardsies.

My PB for 10K was set at the Aware 10K last December in the park. It stood at 38:54. I knew I had a decent shout of doing better today, with good conditions and a relatively flat route.

Beforehand I reckoned that 38 mins was in reach as I've run 3:50 ks in training - not 10 back to back mind!

Started fast, but it was downhill, 3:25
    The next few were steadier.3:41, 3:48, 3:46, 3:47 For much of this I was running in the midst of a small group which was going at a nice pace and this helped.
    Half way split: 18:27
    The 2nd loop was bound to be slower with the legs getting heavier, but not too bad..
    03:41, :3:53, 03:55, 03:53, 3:30. Group had dispersed in the 2nd half and I was running with another guy. Dug in k by k.
    2nd half split: 18:52
    Overall time: 37:24; 3:45 min/k pace. PB well and truly broken by 90 secs.

Absolutely chuffed. To top the day, I picked up my new bike from cyclesuperstore.
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=23631

Well done today you looked really strong over the last mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

That's a great run sj, well done. Massive PB for the distance.

Made up about it. McMillan says I should run the marathon in 2:55. If only it was so easy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Flamin' 'eck. That's some great running. 2:55 in the bag. :rolleyes:
    Nice bike too. Keep her between the hedges. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Mighty PB there SJ. Your putting it up to me now next weekend. :)

Enjoy your new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great running there, thats one good 5k split and really good last km split to finish, well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great performance SJ. Well done on the PB.

Advertisement