Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'd resigned myself to doing the LSR, as doing the DCM in a few weeks won't forgive me for not getting the miles in. As it happens I can't run early in the morning as the OH's car has its NCT so one of us has to babysit. Got a call to guest tomorrow alright but it too late for me to re-organise things to do it. A pity.

30k LSR today. Same run at last week but 2k tagged on. Annacurra to Aughavannagh via backroads with some trails to extend it. Felt ok for the most part bar the closing stages were a bit of a struggle. Last week's 28k run on the same route was 4:38 pace. Today was 4:39 pace with c. 500m of climb so I'm happy with my consistently. Zonked afterwards. Sometimes you are full of beans after a run, sometimes not. Today was a 'not' day. Made worse by the result at Stamford bridge but you can't have it all.

Slosh around in the swimming pool early doors before work. Zero effort, just a case of getting movement in the tired legs from yesterday.

After work, went out for an easy cycle on the bike, cyclo cross-like, up, around and down the trails that I normally run, before finishing with an out and back road bit to Aughrim. Bike does the biz. The dry trails help.
    14k, 18.3kph; 260m ascents.

Rain soaked run this morning before work, 8k in 4:30 min/k pace. At one stage a car took a puddle at speed and soaked me head to toe. I was pretty wet at the time but that completely did me in . Still, once wet it was nice running. Down towards Blackrock from Kill of the grange and back via Dun Laoghaire. Happy with pace considering.

10k Annacurra hill run at 4:31 min/k pace in fading light. 313m ascents. Pushed the descent but had to be fairly tentative too towards the end as light was quite bad. Happy with avg pace though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

hey sj, you are going great on the training, really consistent since the 10k race. keep it going.

Cheers man. Ticking over steadily towards the DCM. 6th DCM in a row. Could be the last DCM for me if the OH has her say :rolleyes: She's probably right though!

Annacurra to Aughrim and back at a moderate pace. 8k in 4.33 min/k pace. Getting cold out there.

No opportunity to run outdoors today so the treadmill was the only option this evening as the 2 older boys needed to be minded. 10k in 4:09 min/k pace. Pretty happy with that. Busy day tomorrow. Not sure if I'll get the chance the run. If its a rest day it'll be no harm as an LSR is planned for Sunday.

Weighed myself for the 1st time in a while. 68kgs... 2 less than normal. Think I'll fatten up over the winter :)

In Wexford today visiting inlaws so running off familiar roads. Ended up happy to do 27k at 4:36 pace on undulating roads with some 370m of ascents all told. Was running on roads that had twists and turns and quite an amount of traffic. On one occasion I had to literally dive into the hedge to avoid a car careering around a bend on a bee line for me, as in tires in the gripe I was running in. Seeing my fluoesent yellow bib the driver got a bit of a land at the last second and veered towards the other side of the road - he was lucky no cars coming the other way! ****wit, driving so fast on backroads. It showed me how fortunate I am to run were I do normally, i.e. mainly forests or roads will little traffic. Pace was a good 4.30 pace for most of run but wind got up and was against me for much of the way back. After the near miss with the car I just wanted to be back at base and the thought of stretching the run out to near 30k was the last thing I wanted to do in the end.

• Advertisement

Should have been a recovery paced run but while I started slow I got faster and just let it happen. Just did 7.5k in 4:34 min/k pace which ended up being faster than yesterday's LSR but sometimes you just go with the flow. Very happy with that as it included 160m of hills. I also discovered in the woods beside me that the nice people from Coillte have carved out a loop of about 700m of brand new trail, full of ups and downs, but its nearly a forest short lap after my own heart. Now if I could just get them to erect floodlights on it for the winter that would be just dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Now if I could just get them to erect floodlights on it for the winter that would be just dandy.

man_running_olympic_torch_lg_nwm.gif

Couldn't run due to various reasons yesterday but the unexpected rest day is liable to do more good than not.

Toyed with the idea of doing the Fit4Life race in Greystones but couldn't hang around, so ventured out for road run that turned into a faster than marathon run despite hilly bits, and did just under 7k at 4:06 min/k pace. Well happy with that and it shows the benefit of running with fresh legs.

Similar run this morning to yesterday evening's. Charlesland to Greystones and around and back. 8.15k, avg 4:07min/k pace. Found myself pushing it a a bit at the end to stay the pace, as theres a bit of a drag up a hill to get back. Onto Kilcoole then for breakfast at the mothers.

No laptop access in recent days due to technical problems (absent power lead). Tipping away nicely:
    • After Thurs morning's run in Greystones I did 5k on the treadmill that evening at 4:22 pace.
    • Friday. Short but fast hill circuit. 6.78k, 4:14 pace, 200m of climb.
    • This morning, 8.13k on streets around DCU. 4:08 pace :)
    • This evening, 20.78k xcycle on road and trail around home. 306m of climb, Avg: 22kph. Near dark when finishing. Must get bike lights.

Early start (for a Sunday) for me in Avondale House with Beepbeep and other runners for a lovely run around the trails, including a route I hadn't taken before which was just brill. Quite a few hills, but all through a marvellous forested setting with a floor of soft pine needles and carpet of autumn leaves. One of the most picturesque settings you could wish for. Slap up breakfast with good company afterwards in Avondale house as a fundraiser for Wicklow Athletics.

17.9k at 4:57 pace with 459m of hills

I've found recently that a cycle later in the day after a run in the morning is just the trick. Legs tend not be tired for a cycle and the next day they are more lively even if its just for a recovery run. So.. with that in mind I headed out on the bike for a short-ish cycle. Should have gone about 20 mins earlier as darkness was setting in on my way home. Used the mountain bike but stayed on the roads. Did 20k in an avg speed of 22.3kph. Same speed as yesterday even with a different bike, so I'm consistent. Just 193m of hills. Annacurra, towards old Wicklow gap, then towards Tinahely and back. Closes off a nice weekend of running and cycling.

is a 'and then I swam 20 lengths of the pool' only around the corner?
    BTW there is a Biathlon in Roundwood on the 27th of Dec :D

Cheers. No, thats as far as I take it. No talent for swimming whatsoever. At a push I can stay afloat, but thats as far as it goes :o

A testing evening with darkness, wind and rain. The temptation was there to a) do nothing or b) do something on the treadie. Took option c) which was head out into the night.. Rather than head into the blackness of the forest where the tracks would be mucky aswell as hard to see, I took the lesser option of doing laps of my church carpark which has floodlights of sorts. Dozens of laps later I'd eked out 5.7k in 4:20 pace. Not bad in wind and rain and too fast for recovery, but that the hell. Job done.

• Advertisement

Early start this morning. Forced to use tready due to poxy weather. 8k at 4:14 pace. Then out to face to traffic.

I did a bit of catch up on my running log. I'm a day or so away from the 3K km mark for the year. My stats are pretty good or mad, as the title of the training log suggests.

2,991k ran = 1, 859 miles
    avg: 69k a week.
    65,644m of hills :eek:

Great running so far, you have 500kms on me.
    Dublin = your last Marathon, are you moving up to Ultras?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I did a bit of catch up on my running log. I'm a day or so away from the 3K km mark for the year. My stats are pretty good or mad, as the title of the training log suggests.

2,991k ran = 1, 859 miles
    avg: 69k a week.
    65,644m of hills :eek:

Very impressive running.

Cheers. 9k this evening on the gym tready at 4:12 pace. 3,000k reached ytd. I was running that 9k today no matter what!

You don't realise how quickly the miles accumulate. Earlier in the year I had the constant focus of the 1,000 mile challenge, but since then I've pretty much averaged 70k a week at least, so happy days.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great running so far, you have 500kms on me.
    Dublin = your last Marathon, are you moving up to Ultras?

My current line of thinking is that this DCM will be my last DCM. I've a waived entry to NY so that might be on the agenda next year. If so that'll be 20 which is a nice round number. I don't think I have the necessary skills (or madness) about me to go longer than the marathon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Good luck on Monday SJ. Will be checking in for the report on Tues ;)

Just a 5k gallop around Kill of the grange at 4:08 pace between the showers.

28k so far this week at 4:13 pace. 14 more k for sub 3 for the week ;)

9.4k at 4:16 pace at lunchtime around Kill of the grange, towards Cherrywood and back via N11 / Cabinteely. Didn't mean to run this pace but what the hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have a great race on Monday SJ. This is number 19, right?
    Awesome..

Advertisement