Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

1st headtorch run this evening in yonks. Headed out into the forest (sloppy conditions underfoot) and off up the hill. 4.1k up, 4.1k back. Felt good. Eerie seeing the eyes of deer up ahead crossing the track.

Full moon came out from behind the clouds and lit up the track with silvery light. I must have taken my eye off the ground ahead to admire the scenery as next thing I knew I was on the ground muck all over having tripped on uneven ground. Torchlight doesn't let you see the full perspective of the track at times and it hid the uneven ground left from coillte traffic.

Kept running on and only realised when I got home that I'd done a good job at bloodying the knees. Only scratches though when the blood washed off and it won't prevent me running tomorrow.

8.2k, 290m ascents, 4:58min/k pace. Beats running on the treadmill any day even with the bonus of the fall.

7:30am: Dragged myself out early for a pre-work 8.47k run around Cabinteely and Foxrock at 4:26 min/k pace. Feeling good. No after effects from last evenings fall and no sign of post-marathon aches.

Treadmill 5k before work this morning in 4:10k/min pace. Wanted to do more but had to stop myself, otherwise I'd feel it at the weekend. Resting tomorrow then tough IMRA race on Saturday. Roll on Powerscourt Ridge.

A personal highlight of the year this race...

Nearly didn't make the start line. Whilst warming up my back was very sore, out of the blue really as it was fine earlier and I was doubting my ability to start as my running was quite limited. However, a good rub with deep heat seemed to do the trick and I assembled with the 100 or so other runners at the barrier at Crone wood for the start.

The weather today was surprisingly good. A bit of wind but quite mild. It was obviously going to get windier particularly on the exposed ridge to Djouce but no rain and mild is a good start.

Paced myself fairly handily at the start. Very soon into the run you are up a sharp ascent towards Maulin. A bit more walking on this section than I'd want to admit, but 2 weeks after a marathon wasn't time to push the body hard. Windy at the top of Maulin, then a fast descent along a fairly technical trail towards the Dargle. You need to keep your wits about you on this kind of trail as it would be easy to trip with bad consequences. Paced myself sensibly on this section too and managed to stay upright.

Pacing is key in this race. With a no. of tough climbs there is no point going balls to the wall on the first climb and runing out of juice with a half hour to go.

Across the river and its a slog up the Wicklow way trail and then right up the steep section towards Djouce. A run / walk strategy employed here but managed to keep ahead of pursuing runners whilst not losing ground on those ahead. Very windy at the top of Djouce. Another madcap descent then off the top, down until the boardwalk. From there its a muddy and technical trail around the flank of Djouce until you meet the trail you'd run up. Quite slippery in parts and with tears in the eyes from the wind I found my vision was impaired on this section but I couldn't run as fast I would like as it took more concentration to get proper foot placement. Down to the river and a walk up the steps on the other side, then back onto the Wicklow way and follow the well walked trail towards Crone wood. The few k to the finish seem to take forever and my energy was running out fast. Expected to be past here as I felt quite ponderous pacewise, but was happy to finish without having been overtaken in the last 4 or 5k.

Don't know where I finished but it probably won't be as high as last year. My time of 91 mins was a tad slower than last year and I think the field was stronger this year with runners from Munster and the North.

Not bad for a race I nearly DNS'ed from 10 minutes before the start.

Garmin Connect: (nice elevation chart!) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18245472

Summary:
    871m ascent
    15.32 km
    1:31:19

False start this morning. Went for recovery run but only managed to hobble about 500m before I had to stop due to lower back pain again.

Going stir crazy this afternoon so with back marginally better I headed out on bike for a spin.. a) to try the bike out again on some nice trails and b) to make the most of this fine day.

Did this:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18281497

A great feeling of exhilaration flying down the mud splattered trails. Legs surprisingly ok after yesterday.

• Advertisement

Back still aching so no running, just a bit of cycling today.

Results posted for Powerscourt Ridge race.
    Very happy with 13th place in 91.17. Winners time was 80.25. 103 runners which is a terrific turn-out for a tough weekend race this late in the year. My time was just over a minute slower than last year, but I daresay I was able to push myself harder last year. Also I don't think we had quite the same headwind running up Djouce last year either.

Great photos of the race including one of yours truly:
    http://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/35731/

Funnily enough I wasn't the only DCM 09 runner to run this race. At least 3 other imra runners in this race ran the marathon. We're all mad :D

Barely ticking over at the moment. I was out of action for most of this week as the back was acting up after the PR race. Better to be safe than sorry though and the dark and rain would have made it difficult to run if I could in any event.

Anyhows, got out yesterday for a spritely 8k run around Albert college in Glasnevin at 4:14 min/k pace, not bad in the rain and after a few days lay off.

After torrential rain overnight this morning was glorious, so headed up the local hill with the dog running behind. Tough on steep uphill sections. Runners of the imra Annacurra route this year would be familiar with the steep bit. Got to the top and headed back down by the forest track. Hung a left down another forest track to join another steep track to the top. At this point the silence was golden, only interupted by my shuffling steps trying to gain traction on the muddy uphill and my occasional gasps as I tried to breath. Still, this was running as it should be. At one with nature. Got to the top of the hill (again) and followed the sloppy trail back down that I started up initially. 10.87k, 5:06 min/k pace. 467 of hard won ascent. Thinking about this as a route for the IMRA winter league next year.
    Nice elevation chart here...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18799289

No running goals on the horizon at the moment. Running for the sake of running though is nice for a change.

Making proverbial hay while the sun shines this afternoon. An hour on the bike, sticking to the road. 25k. Job done.

And no.. there'll be no swim later. Practicing my couch potato skills for rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Good to see you back after your few days break. Probaly a blessing in disguise for a break.

Cheers. Yeah - a nice change, but back running again.. Its good for my sanity.

Decided to take a running leaf out of Krusty's route book and run this. Did well to do it at lunchtime and the tempo was pretty good for a hilly run in windy conditions.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19053578

• Advertisement

Charlesland road run and 7 x 400s. Windy weather made it tough and not much speed achieved but happy afterwards.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19135508

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Will have to join you on a Greystones run the next time I'm running out in that direction (I'm originally from there). Will be there for a few days over Christmas if you're around and fancy a run. My favourite route when running there is from Greystones South Beach, up through Charlesland, down to Kilincarrig crossroads, into Delgany, up Kendlestown rise, past the woods, and back down to the Bray road and into Gryestones - nice 8 miler with a draining hill!

Cool. Sounds good.

Took a mini-leave from Tunguska's treadmill training session this morning. Only had time for 5k so:
    1k at 2% gradient, 12.5kph
    1k at 2% gradient, 13.0kph
    1k at 4% gradient, 13.0kph
    1k at 4% gradient, 13.5kph
    1k at 5% gradient, 14.0kph
    5k, avg: 4:36min kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers. Yeah - a nice change, but back running again.. Its good for my sanity.

Decided to take a running leaf out of Krusty's route book and run this. Did well to do it at lunchtime and the tempo was pretty good for a hilly run in windy conditions.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19053578

Nice one. But next time, go through Kilbogget park instead of along the N11, and fit in a few loops on the cinder track. :)

Peckham wrote: »
    Will have to join you on a Greystones run the next time I'm running out in that direction
    +1. Should organize a Christmas run out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

+1. Should organize a Christmas run out that way.
    + 2 Count me in and a pint in the Beach House afterwards!

+3! Not sure if running and pints mix, but hey I'll try anything.

Short run this morning to try make the most of some sunshine. Conditions on the trail quite wet and sodden so the going was difficult in places. 7.3k in 4.33 min/k pace with 177m of real, not treadmill, hills.

Edging ever closer to the 2K miles for the year. 20 more miles to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Short run this morning to try make the most of some sunshine. Conditions on the trail quite wet and sodden so the going was difficult in places. 7.3k in 4.33 min/k pace with 177m of real, not treadmill, hills.

Edging ever closer to the 2K miles for the year. 20 more miles to go.

You definitely deserve a pint to be waiting for you after hitting 2K.

Shocking weather this morning as well as family commitments ruled out a run.

Could only fit in a treadmill run late this afternoon, so again it was a mini-Tunguska type session as follows:

Set treadmill to 2% incline and 14kph speed...
    1st 5k at 2% incline; 14kph
    6th k at 3% incline; 14kph
    7th and 8th k at 3.5% incline. 14kph
    9th k at 4% incline.
    Last k at 4.5% incline. Last 400m of which at 14.5kph
    10k completed in just under 43 mins c. 4:18 min/km

Whatever the weather, it'll be an outdoors run in the morning.

They're fine, as long as you do them in the right order. :)
    Tomorrow's weather looks equally woeful, with 50km/hr winds, but thankfully, not as bad as Monday's 70 km/hr. :eek:

• Advertisement

Window of okay weather this morning so off to Avondale House for a run with some pals. Trails were very wet and muddy in parts, but all still good to be out. This place really is a treat to run in.

11.6k at 4:40min/k pace with 293m of ascents.

Nearly did nothing, but after responding to BB's question about the treadmill I felt obliged to hop to it, even if just for a recovery run.

Set incline to 5%. Set speed to 12.5kph. 5k done. Cover up damned treadmill for the evening.

Hit the treadmill on the way home. Damn you Tunguska for influencing my treadmill sessions. :p

Brief warm-up at 6% incline, then it was 10% incline until after 5k. Did escalating 2 min pace sessions with the odd walking 2 min thrown in to get the heartbeat back under control. Never panted or sweated as much on the treadmill. The good thing was once the 5k was done, the next 2k at 2% gradient at 15kph felt like running downhill. All told (just) 7.1k done in 40 mins. Sounds like a little but it was damned hard work.

Put the 7.1k into the excel and bobs your uncle, 2000 miles for the year topped. Happy days. :D

Also, to give myself something to aim for through the winter I signed up for Connemara again. What the hell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

That's some work on a treadmill, well done on the 2K, (wuss miles and otherwise;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good session SJ - sounds like a few of us are getting bitten by a treadmill bug!

And congrats on the 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Hit the treadmill on the way home. Damn you Tunguska for influencing my treadmill sessions

:)

He has me gone mad too. Must try it nxt week. Something i never done but it sounds great. I class us at same level so i might try your exact session nxt week. Congrats on hte 2000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Well done SJ.. You're having a great year.. Think it's time you changed your name though :)...

He has me gone mad too. Must try it nxt week. Something i never done but it sounds great. I class us at same level so i might try your exact session nxt week. Congrats on hte 2000 miles.

In fairness you're a bit above me. The way you are going in training that gap will increase, but fair play to you.
    rigal wrote: »
    Well done SJ.. You're having a great year.. Think it's time you changed your name though :)...

Cheers. I enquired about changing the moniker before but its too messy, so choose wisely at the start is the message.

Cool and windy and dark by the time I got home. However, I was up for a run, so headtorch on and out the door. Headed through the woods and benefited from street lights in Aughrim along the road to the furthest extent I could. Turn around then and back the way I came.
    8.8k. 4:41min/k pace. 160m ascents of real hills. Felt comfortable throughout. Had to take it easy through the forest bits. Visibility with headtorch not great and sloppy conditions underfoot.

Registered for Aware 10K today too.

• Advertisement

Easy 6.4k run at lunch with a pal around Cabinteely/Foxrock. 4:33 min/k pace.

Advertisement