Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done on topping the 2k, unless I run 9 miles a day I won't make it this year - next year maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done on topping the 2k, unless I run 9 miles a day I won't make it this year - next year maybe!

You're not doing too bad considering you didn't have marathons to aim for.

Tempo run in Annacurra. Repeated laps of floodlight car park to save the trapsing through the muddy trails by torchlight. The things we do for running. 6.7k at 4min/k pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Tempo run in Annacurra. Repeated laps of floodlight car park to save the trapsing through the muddy trails by torchlight. The things we do for running. 6.7k at 4min/k pace.

What's that, about 20 laps?:eek:

I'm sure your neighbours watching you from the Saltee pub across the road have a few choice nicknames for you by this stage:)

25 I think. Just short of 200m each lap and as flat as a pancake so its a handy fallback when you can't face the treadie. Yep, the locals probably call me Forest Gump or something. Similarly story with you in Coolboy I'm sure :)

• Advertisement

25 I think. Just short of 200m each lap and as flat as a pancake so its a handy fallback when you can't face the treadie. Yep, the locals probably call me Forest Gump or something. Similarly story with you in Coolboy I'm sure :)

I'm the fit oul fella who runs his socks off but will never have a county medal coz he doesn't know how to play GAA *shakes head and tuts, "what a waste"...*

17th consecutive day running. Little time today so hit record on the second half of the Ireland match and headed out for a nice 10k. Very cold and a fog coming down but great for running. A mixed trail and road run to Aughrim and back. 10K with 139m of ascents in 4:25 min/k pace. Pressed play on the 2nd half of the match and what a result. Edge of the seat stuff at the end.

The plan was to run first thing this morning, but you couldn't run in that. Okay.. lets wait a few hours for it to clear. Hours later, no change. If anything its getting worse. Nothing for it then to live up to the Mad to Run billing and head out anyway. The wind and rain nearly knocked me back into the house before I started, but once you got going it wasn't too bad. Mainly trail with a bit of road connecting the dots. Was impossible to avoid the puddles after a while so it was a case of charging through them. Surprised myself by managing to go at a decent ish pace considering. 12.2k in 4:36min/k pace with 261m of hard won ascents. Wet to the bone at the finish but great fun.

Yup, did almost the same run as yours today, transcribed about five miles south. Complete with the "will I/won't I?" morning gaze out the window. Feels great to be splashing in those puddles, hope we're still at that lark well into old age.

8.6k recovery run by torchlight and moonlight from Annacurra to Aughrim and back. 5 min/k pace. 129m of hills. Icy cold. Wore my new Connemarathon Ronhill Vizion Sports Jacket which does the business.

• Advertisement

Stuck for time and weather being s**t it meant the treadie again. Hit the incline to 10% and took it steady for 5k. Fast last k on a flatish incline. 6k in 34 mins. Not fast overall but effective.

Garminless run today which is no harm for a change. 35 mins total or so, which included 8 x 400 around the delapidated running track near the On the Run service station on the N11 between Cabinteely and Loughlinstown. Ran with a friend so the company kept us both going. Don't have the splits but after running what felt like a too fast 1st one (c. 75 secs), I struggled on later ones. A torrential downpour beforehand meant the track was waterlogged in parts. Tough, short session, but felt great afterwards.

It looks like the council are doing work on this track to upgrade it, so I'll be keeping an eye on it. Its about 10 mins away from my work so its a handy one to get out to.

My mate with the gadgetry txted me the splits for the 800s 400s. Not madly fast, but pretty consistent. 78, 78, 79, 80, 80, 81, 81, 81. No 75, that was just a dream :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

My mate with the gadgetry txted me the splits for the 800s. Not madly fast, but pretty consistent. 78, 78, 79, 80, 80, 81, 81, 81. No 75, that was just a dream :rolleyes:

78 secs for 800m!! Thats phenomenal slogger.

tunguska wrote: »

He used to be a bloke!:eek:

tunguska wrote: »

You're right. Wish I did it. I meant to say 400s :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I did pretty much bang on the same session as you this evening (around 79 seconds per 400). Did you have a change of heart about the Aware 10k? Going to give it a lash?

Weird 400s on that track, what with the heaps of debris in the way from the work they are doing. Turns it into a hurdling session at times :)

Great run in the hills this evening with beepbeep, d'pop and about 8 others, from Ballinastoe to the top of a windy and foggy Djouce and back. Tricky keeping the footing at times particularly on the boardwalk with the strong wind. Concentration needed to avoid the steps which arrive suddenly out of the fog. Great trail finish with fast kilometre splits to the car park.

11k with 450m of ascents. Pace a pedestrian 6:49, but good in the circumstances.

Good fun tonight if not a little weird, will definitley go down as my most unusual run of 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

Great run in the hills this evening with beepbeep, d'pop and about 8 others, from Ballinastoe to the top of a windy and foggy Djouce and back. Tricky keeping the footing at times particularly on the boardwalk with the strong wind. Concentration needed to avoid the steps which arrive suddenly out of the fog. Great trail finish with fast kilometre splits to the car park.

11k with 450m of ascents. Pace a pedestrian 6:49, but good in the circumstances.

I really enjoyed it. The conditions at the top were pretty nuts but it added to the experience. It was nice to run with a group for a change. The pace wasn't hectic but the sleepers and the lack of visibility especially on the way up dictated that.

Hopefully we can get a few more of these in over the next few months.

• Advertisement

I did pretty much bang on the same session as you this evening (around 79 seconds per 400). Did you have a change of heart about the Aware 10k? Going to give it a lash?

10k is in doubt for me. I registered but only realised yesterday I need to do family stuff that morning. Trying to negotiate around it but its unlikely. :rolleyes:

Just a filler of a run really. 2% incline. 5k on the treadie. 4:14 pace. Job done. Right, wheres the wine.

Just over 8k this morning, a loop around Glasnevin and Donnycarney back to DCU. 4:11 pace.

Nearly 7k this afternoon as evening was drawing in, wet and muddy on road and trail from Annacurra to Aughrim and back. 108m ascents. 4:43 pace.

Marvellous morning this morning. Met up with some pals at Avondale for a trot around the trails. Headed down by the river. Wonderful scenery. Slippy in parts, but the conversation ticked the time over. Just over 13k done at 4:49 pace. 567m of hills. Felt fresh despite continuous days running. Read the article in the Irish Times yesterday about running streaks. Might experiment to see how many continous days I can reasonably do.

Total for week 67k.

And not a carpark in sight, nice running. I barely managed to orient myself out of bed an hour ago:o

Easy run at lunchtime around the suburbs of Cabinteely / Shankill. c 8k at 4:38 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Your ticking over nicely...........Any early races in hte new year ??

Cheers. I intend doing most of the imra winter league. I'll have to see what other races are on to complement the Conn schedule. On 6th Feb theres an imra race in my parish of Annacurra. Wouldn't take you too long to get there from Kilkenny ;)

Was nearly tempted to hit the treadmill, but opted instead for a torchlight trail run in Glen of the Downs. Visibility was poor as there was a haze of mist in the air. Mucky out. Great fun though.

7k at 5min k pace, 200m of ascents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Cheers. I intend doing most of the imra winter league. I'll have to see what other races are on to complement the Conn schedule. On 6th Feb theres an imra race in my parish of Annacurra. Wouldn't take you too long to get there from Kilkenny ;)

Was nearly tempted to hit the treadmill, but opted instead for a torchlight trail run in Glen of the Downs. Visibility was poor as there was a haze of mist in the air. Mucky out. Great fun though.

7k at 5min k pace, 200m of ascents.

Remind me of that one week before. Said i would do one nxt year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I'm in for that one; might just be the beginnings of a relay team from kilkenny to take on the mighty boards ac.

I laugh at the "he used to be a bloke" post everytime.

Advertisement