Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Perfect looking conditions at lunchtime so the temptation was mighty to get out for a run. That I did, and managed a good 8.5k at 4:15 pace which was a decent clip considering the blustery conditions. Mainly flat run on pavements which is a tad boring for me, but needs must sometimes. 90m of ascents in there somewhere. Kill o the Grange towards Blackrock, along coast to Dun Laoghaire and back. 28th consecutive day running. Sounds better than it is as many of the runs are short and hardly count compare to some of the longer runs more serious training loggers are putting in. Not sure how long I'll be able to keep it going but, as the song goes, "One day at a time ... (sweet Jesus).

Yesterday: 8.1k, 4:28 pace around Kill of the Grange / Dun Laoire.
    Today: 6.3k in 4:49 pace around Cabinteely. 90m ascents. Very easy run with pal who is running 10k tomorrow. Unfortunately, despite being registered to run, I can nay make it.
    Today (pm). 6.8k torchlight trail run with the dog in tow. 4:59 pace, 190m ascent. Lovely evening for a night run. Getting out while the weather is good and surprised I felt fresh having run earlier and for the last 29 days.
    44k for week so far.

A family commitment prevented me running the Aware run today. By coincidence I ended up running 9k myself - in sympathy perhaps - but around Albert College. Cold conditions but otherwise good for running. 4:15 pace.

No. of miles this year now just over 2,100. 31 days straight doing some sort of run and the body feels fine. The fact that I'm not doing LSRs is probably helping, but still happy to be avoiding next day soreness. Famous last words perhaps.

Fabulous conditions this morning for a run. Stopped off on the way home at Rathdrum and ran from there 6k out on mainly trail to Clara Vale church and back. A treasure of a run this. You have the forest to yourself. The hills of green sloping down to the river running through it. Nearly stopped on occasion just to admire the surroundings. 12k in 4:23 pace. Tipped along nicely for a hill, sticky muddy (at times) run. Very happy with it. The last k back to the car was mainly downhill. A nice 3:40 gallop. There are other trails here to explore too so I'll be back. 217m of ascents.

Another great day. Apart from the cold it was a day you had to run. Got out at lunchtime and did just under 9k at 4:39 pace.

Got home this evening to an empty house and felt strangely fresh, so headed out without having to feel guilty and did another 6k by torchlight. Slower and muddier than running pavements, particularly when you can't see that clearly. Emerging out of a darkened forest I scared the **** out of a few younglads near the forest entrance, I think smoking something illegal :)

15k for a Monday. Not a bad start to the week when I'm not really training for anything. :)

I'll ditch the running streak thing any day soon. While I'm on day 33 and I feel remarkably fresh, a pal of mine said to me today that nothing good can come from a running streaks.. you need rest, progression and adaption (or words to that effect). I'll have time to rest over Christmas but mix in some long slow runs in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'll ditch the running streak thing any day soon. While I'm on day 33 and I feel remarkably fresh, a pal of mine said to me today that nothing good can come from a running streaks.. you need rest, progression and adaption (or words to that effect). I'll have time to rest over Christmas but mix in some long slow runs in there too.

I thnk Tergat wrote a great post on running streaks and active recovery maybe learn that and quote it to our friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

shels4ever wrote: »
    I thnk Tergat wrote a great post on running streaks and active recovery maybe learn that and quote it to our friend :)

On the back of Tergat's post I ran 102 consecutive days over the Summer and set a bunch of M40 PB's enroute, active recovery is the key - one of your days should be about 30mins at 5min + per k pace, alot of your runs seem to be closer to 4min pace, but enjoy it while you can - I'd love your energy at the moment!

A fairly joyless run from Charlesland towards N11 and back. 6.6k at 4:17 pace. Wind and cold made it a relief to be back in the car, but very happy to have done that pace in those conditions with a bit of a hill on that section too.

Big mistake this evening, meeting Beepbeep that is. :D I had been cajoled into meeting him for what I thought was 6 x 400s, but found that it was 800s instead. Cold and blustery conditions which were far from ideal. After a nice 2 mile warmup run it was down to the business end of the session. Stayed with BB for the first 4 800s. Faded a bit on the last 2 800s when I felt some tummy trouble coming on. I'm far from used to 800s so I need to get that speed/stamina thing going. Good to have company and get a nice 11k total session out of the way mid December. Happy days (at the finish at least).
    Splits: 2:54, 2:49, 2:51, 2:48, 2:56, 2:56

After 35 days consecutive running I decided it was time for a rest day. I was up early today donating platelets so no harm putting the feet up. Bloody miserable out there in any event :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

35 days running + platelet donation gives you official licence to smugly sit in front of the fire, with the feet up drinking beer whilst watching crap telly, might even stretch to pringles. Well done.

Jogged the Great Sugarloaf today with a pal. Bloody freezing cold. Some sleet in the air and lots on the ground in parts. Icy on the ground too. Took it nice and easy. Walked some steep bits (which is actually a lot of it) as its way short and steep. Coming down wasn't much faster as you had to be careful of footing. 6.2k in total from Glenmalure pub car park and back. 419m of hard won ascent. Pace, brutal but who cares. Roll on the race on the same route on Sunday 27th.

Christmas do from work last night so between that and the wintery weather this morning any thoughts of a long run were put back in a box. Still, had to get out as the still chilly conditions looked otherwise perfect for a run. Stuck to the backroads - which I had to myself... n're a car to be seen for 1st 8k as a meandered around in a loop which brought be around and back into Aughrim and back to Annacurra. Icy conditions in parts. Despite a late night last night and the Sugarloaf run yesterday running felt good and relatively easy this morning. Wonderful views of the sleet and low cloud capped hills on the run.
    A nice leg stretcher to start the day. 13k at 4:28 pace with 160m of ascents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Ya can't beat these hills when its cold. Dear Santa, can we please have lots more snow this winter in time for the Annacurra race.

Another chilly morning. Brought the camera to take some snaps too. Ran from Annacurra to Aughrim, onto Sean Lenihan forest trail and up and up to top of Cushbawn hill - then back home. Sleet over night lay on the ground. Icy in a lot of places so care needed to be taken on uphill and downhill. The views were fantastic. The camera fails to convey the view of the hill stretching up or down from you though. One of my more memorable runs to file away. I really think you can't beat running at this time of year. :D
    16.26k, 4:58 pace, 400m of ascents.

Nice elevation.
    4200102348_bb99f49a98.jpg

The run up this was very slow. The trail back down was something similar.. Brakes on the whole way because of icy stretches.
    4199347275_8ac0d084e7_o.jpg

Day off from running yesterday.

This morning, got out before work for a trot down towards Dun Laoghaire, along coast and back towards Kill of the Grange, some 8.4k in 4:28 pace. Frosty pavements throughout and a nasty chilly wind down at the coast, but once you were moving you were okay. It would have been very easy to stay in bed instead, but glad I got out and a great way to start the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

class photo that slogger, your blessed with some quality places to run. fair play getting out of bed this morning too, i never can no matter how much i want to. set the alarm for 6 this morning but rolled over. thankfully got a run in this evening.

Cheers K3. I ignored the alarm first time too, but I knew that my running alternatives today were zero, whereas usually there are options at lunch or after work.

Thanks! If you are around Wicklow on the 29th you're welcome to join our little jaunt around the hills, c. 10k or so, nice n easy. See the imra thread for details.

KC stood me up on the offer of a run today. Some lame excuse like having to work or something :) I'd thoughts of running up towards the leadmines and the scalp but my other running pal wasn't in so I had a change of heart and headed for a different hill instead. Ran from Kill of the Grange to Killiney hill, up and around that and back. Pavements frosty as hell but curiously good to run on. No wind to speak off and once you were well wrapped up the conditions were nay perfect. The view from Killiney of the bay was spectacular. 12.2k at 4:30 pace with 200m of ascents.

Damn, a camera would have been great today. Alas, I travelled light as I set out from the Glenview hotel for a jog with the Christmas shopping done and a Christmas eve run to clear the senses (after the wine last night). Decided to try something different so headed up backroads from Glen of the Downs to the Little Sugarloaf, the little brother of the Great SL which I ran last week. First time doing this and found it surprising very runnable. Maybe it gets less visitors but the track up was very decent. Near the top it was quite treacherous with icy bits. Theres a ridge at the top with 3 summits from what I could tell. Difficult to know which is the highest one, but they all had fantastic views.. 360 degrees of the countryside. Took a trail off it that frankly didn't exist so ended up wading through needle sharp undergrowth before getting back on the proper marked path. Took backroads via Glen of the Downs golf course back to hotel. A smashing run. 10k covered. 330m of climb. Pace was around 6 min ks but that including walking bits through briars!

• Advertisement

A slow 6k yesteday preceeded the glutton that was Christmas dinner. Rain falling on icy ground made for bad running conditions so I was glad to be home in one piece.

This morning, the run was a treat. Recovery paced run was all, but couldn't have run faster in any event due to the icy trails i.e.
    4215783898_dce4c9e5a9.jpg
    If you ran in the middle of the trail the icy grass gave some grip. I wore a pair of inov-8s though which gave decent grip throughout.

Had a good laugh from seeing the dog trying to run on the icy ground. Slipping and sliding around. Tried to give chase to a pair of deer that ran across our path, but they were on home turf and were always going to get away
    4215013323_505d6c472b.jpg

Nice views of the surrounding hills from the top. Including Lug:
    4215784158_6fe558288f.jpg

and Croaghanmoira, which I ran some months back...
    4215784228_f27c0f22c8.jpg

Great, great morning to be outdoors. 9.6k, 357m ascended, 5:42 pace

Today's race probably shouldn't have taken place. Extremely icy route made for treacherous walking never mind running conditions. A smaller turnout than last year. I took a safety first approach but it didn't prevent me falling twice, only grazes mind, despite wearing my grippiest inov-8s - this happened on the downhill which is probably no surprise. Whatever running I did was best done on the scrubby grass. There was some runnable gravel bits but most of the rest was pure ice. When you reached the peak there was a strong gale blowing which nearly took you off your feet, or sent you skidding across the icy ground. My finishing time of 37 mins + was about 2 mins off last years time. Amazed it was only 2 mins to be honest. Think I finished in the top 10. Clear winner was Richie McCauley with Paul Mahon and Cormac Conroy 2nd and 3rd. My garmin had this as just under 5k (total distance) with 383m of hard won climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sounds like we had similar runs today...mind you, there's no way I would have raced on the ice that I was facing!

The imra website is a wonderful thing. Particularly when results are posted so quickly and efficiently after races and the way it keeps track of your races. Which, in my case, this year was a lot...
    My 2010 imra results

Great running there SJ and some great pics in the photo section.

I like this one - tell me - is that a smug grin of satisfaction after passing Donot or the look of acceptance knowing you are about to be caught?
    25724.jpg

I wish. That was just the warm up before a race.. I think in Howth earlier this year :)

Recovery paced run this morning due to back ache and icy conditions. It takes at least 3 things to stop me running, and the grazed knee from the Sugarloaf doesn't count.

Progress was slow on the icy trails but you could take in the surroundings more and took a few more winter photos. The route for the annacurra race, if it was held now, would be interesting as coillte are doing some felling so that would slow down the faster non-hill runner types and even things up for the rest of us slowcoaches.
    Winter Log piles
    4221360521_4d46cf6b82.jpg

Cleared forest with view beyond down Ow river valley and Lug under cloud
    4221360881_c1ca4c0f6a.jpg

10k, 6.02pace,. 352m of ascents. 1st day of schedule for Connemara.

I started this log on 1st Jan 09. At the time my most immediate goal was the Rotterdam marathon. The training went very well for that but the race plan on the day didn't happen. However, 2 other marathons this year - Edinburgh and Dublin addressed the balance and while I didn't sub-3, I came close in my 18th and 19th marathons, neither of which were done off dedicated plans.

Apart from the marathons I did 2 10k races and PBed in one of them (Pearl Izumi Firhouse race).

On the hill running side I did a mad amount of races, but was happy to do so. I'm credited with 38 official races. Allied to that I was part of the Bulletin boards Wicklow way relay team which had a very creditable and enjoyable race in June.

All in all its been a great running year for me and a most enjoyable one. My mother often asks me when I'm going to give up running... I say that I'm not enjoying it anymore which is probably as true an answer as I could muster.

Apart from a couple of very minor injuries (ankle, back, knee scrapes) its been largely injury free, and by year end I'll have topped 2,200 miles of running for the year. I've gained some running experience in the process and met some new running friends along the way between Boards and imra. Roll on 2010. Happy new year to all.

• Advertisement

donothoponpop, beepbeep, PeterX et al joined our run in the rain and ice in Annacurra today as we picked our way around the route planned for the imra winter league race on 6th Feb. More of a social run this, and we should have more of them. Then again, its not often that you have the pub a minute distance from the house. A few scoops after a race is just the ticket. The route today was well received despite the inclement conditions. Happy days and roll on February. Check out more details here
    10.5k, 443m ascents. Pace: Icy.

Advertisement