Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

The imra website is a wonderful thing. Particularly when results are posted so quickly and efficiently after races and the way it keeps track of your races. Which, in my case, this year was a lot...
    My 2010 imra results

Great pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thanks. Most of those imra pics are courtesy of the inimitable John Shields. BTW please pencil in 6th of Feb in your running diary for your imra race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Last run of the year and for this log. A new log will probably emerge for 2010. Its appropriate that I started this with a run on 1st Jan 2009 and ended it with a run today. I've summarised my running year already in recent days. Its been good.

Todays run made up for the enforced rest day yesterday. It was also a penance run of sorts as I'd too much wine taken last night so that had to be run out of the system. It was resistance training on the double in parts as I ran from Kilcoole along the beach to Greystones and back via Charlesland. There was a good headwind at times allied to running on sand. Combined with a sea-spray from stormy seas which was like being out in the rain. I was still happy in my running and the bad bits as such were balanced out by a supportive wind as I completed my loop back. Being blown up the hill through Charlesland was nice. Its a great feeling running along the sea at the best of times. To do so when the sea is stormy is all the moreso.

11k at 4:28 min/k pace. Felt good throughout - probably a benefit from yesterday - and finished with a good sub 4 minute kilometre back to the mother's house.

Total miles for year: 2,205

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

A personal highlight of the year this race...

Nearly didn't make the start line. Whilst warming up my back was very sore, out of the blue really as it was fine earlier and I was doubting my ability to start as my running was quite limited. However, a good rub with deep heat seemed to do the trick and I assembled with the 100 or so other runners at the barrier at Crone wood for the start.

The weather today was surprisingly good. A bit of wind but quite mild. It was obviously going to get windier particularly on the exposed ridge to Djouce but no rain and mild is a good start.

Paced myself fairly handily at the start. Very soon into the run you are up a sharp ascent towards Maulin. A bit more walking on this section than I'd want to admit, but 2 weeks after a marathon wasn't time to push the body hard. Windy at the top of Maulin, then a fast descent along a fairly technical trail towards the Dargle. You need to keep your wits about you on this kind of trail as it would be easy to trip with bad consequences. Paced myself sensibly on this section too and managed to stay upright.

Pacing is key in this race. With a no. of tough climbs there is no point going balls to the wall on the first climb and runing out of juice with a half hour to go.

Across the river and its a slog up the Wicklow way trail and then right up the steep section towards Djouce. A run / walk strategy employed here but managed to keep ahead of pursuing runners whilst not losing ground on those ahead. Very windy at the top of Djouce. Another madcap descent then off the top, down until the boardwalk. From there its a muddy and technical trail around the flank of Djouce until you meet the trail you'd run up. Quite slippery in parts and with tears in the eyes from the wind I found my vision was impaired on this section but I couldn't run as fast I would like as it took more concentration to get proper foot placement. Down to the river and a walk up the steps on the other side, then back onto the Wicklow way and follow the well walked trail towards Crone wood. The few k to the finish seem to take forever and my energy was running out fast. Expected to be past here as I felt quite ponderous pacewise, but was happy to finish without having been overtaken in the last 4 or 5k.

Don't know where I finished but it probably won't be as high as last year. My time of 91 mins was a tad slower than last year and I think the field was stronger this year with runners from Munster and the North.

Not bad for a race I nearly DNS'ed from 10 minutes before the start.

Garmin Connect: (nice elevation chart!) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18245472
    Summary doesn't mention fastest pace 4.03 mins mile,jasus it must be steep:eek:
    Summary:
    871m ascent
    15.32 km
    1:31:19

Advertisement