Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

40 days to Rotterdam.

Hill intervals x 7. Wasn't looking forward to this. But got out this evening in the fading light with the headtorch and headed up the hill. Tricky running on uneven ground with bad light. Average 1:48 for the 400s on an incline. Last one was a good 1:45 which I was well pleased with. HR max at 168 which is high for me, but it was tough going. Interesting shape of run. A dog or a shark's head perhaps? :)

Total miles today: 6.9
    No. of runs this year: 59
    Total mileage this year: 450.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

We've all been quite focussed on the differences in schedules over the last few days - interesting though the common features, all of us doing VO2 max stuff today for example. Maybe the plans aren't as radically different as we think!

Good running again - do you feel it's cheating doing the short quick stuff and being back inside so quickly?

Not at all. The schedule said hill repeats and thats what I did. I picked this schedule it as I was being realistic myself as to how much time I'd have during the Monday to Friday work days. I needed to get back to the family and pancakes in any event. :) Incidentally, I've just looked over my recent weeks and I've been averaging 92k a week in the last 8 weeks, for instance. So I don't think theres much cheating going on :rolleyes:

92k's a week is pretty impressive.

I wasn't having a dig btw - I always feel like a fraud coming back in from speed sessions because they are over fairly quickly and was wondering if you felt the same.

I don't actually as I feel the benefits of them when I go longer. For instance, 28k last Sunday at pretty much race pace over a hill route...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Interesting shape of run. A dog or a shark's head perhaps? :)
    It's very hard to tell...When you can't see it.. :)
    No artistic points for you!

Oops! Copied, but forgot to paste.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7687909

39 days to Rotterdam.

An easy 5 miles was called for. Rolled out of bed early and did a run before work to Dun Laoire and along coast and back in a loop.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7693296
    Struggled in the first 2k as the hill session from last night had tightened up the legs, but after that I loosened up and started to run more freely. Nice conditions for a run.

Total miles today: 7.1
    No. of runs this year: 60
    Total mileage this year: 457.8

38 days...

Run around Cabinteely and Foxrock this morning. 11.5 at 4:25 pace.
    Felt like stretching the legs this evening too, so did a 7.1k run at recovery pace 4:54) on Annacurra hill.

Total miles today: 11.6
    No. of runs this year: 62
    Total mileage this year: 469.5

37 days to go. Another early morning run around Cabinteely and Foxrock. Easy 4:29 min/k pace.

Total miles today: 4.7
    No. of runs this year: 63
    Total mileage this year: 474.1

• Advertisement

I'd received my confirmation of a place for New York this year. I'd gone and registered for Dublin too so doing 2 marathons in a week was always, lets just say, going to be challenging. I wanted to be part of the 30th anniversary race this October though. While I was looking to see how I could actually afford the New York trip I noticed in an email I got from them yesterday that I could cancel this year and defer the place 'til next year. After consultations with TOH I've done ahead and done that. It makes more sense for us and hopefully next year then I can focus on NY. I'm still looking forward to doing it but next year will come around quickly. I might be able to persuade some of my colleagues to run there next year including at least one that has been banned from putting on running shoes after their next marathon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Sounds like a good plan SJ. I looked at New York as well but put it off. Accommodation is very expensive marathon weekend so I'm going to wait until a couple of friends I have living over there get bigger gafs and I will pay them a visit !

36 days to go.

imra winter league race in Trooperstown.
    Garmin link: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7705320

This was a toughy but a goody. A lovely route and going soft for most of it and good weather to boot. A strong field out at todays race. I think I finished 12th overall which I'll delighted about as I was in the mix with some experienced runners. Added to that I was probably conscious of saving a bit for my LSR tomorrow. Its a forgiving hill run if there is such a thing, due to the soft ground and the speedy downhills. The closing kilometre I did in 3:15 :eek: which brought my overall average down to 4:28 for the race, so its a fast one this. The other boards guys donothoponpop and Krusty did very well too and didn't take too long to appear after me at the finish. Not sure what, if any other, boards guys were out, but our 3 probably had a decent team result in a strong field. I expect Clonliffe and Sli Chulainn were contesting top honours. Great race, well organised, again. Kudos imra again.

Total miles today: 10.9 (inc. warm up, race and warm down)
    No. of runs this year: 64
    Total mileage this year: 485. Tomorrow will, touch wood, have me tipping over the 500 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done SJ good running and it must be slightly off putting known you have to get out for 20ish tomorrow.
    Good decision on New York, I wish I had your sense I can be quite stupid trying to do too much.

35 days to go.

Garmin link: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7713420

After yesterday's race the body was stiff and sore so it took a fair amount of willpower (and another cold water bath last night) to get the body moving this morning. Once I was out the door though it wasn't too bad. Concentrated on going slower than last week, but used the same out and back route from Annacurra to Aughavannagh, varying it only towards the end when I had to add on about 5k, so did so by heading towards Aughrim and looping back home via a back road, with another damn hill.

Still.. happy with run. Didn't suffer and managed to keep the pace ticking over and the km splits on a tired body towards the end were still good. Contrary to good opinion I didn't take a gel or have water either. If I needed the latter there was plenty spilling off the hills that was spring fresh.

Overall moving pace of 4:30min/k for a hilly run on a blustery day... I'd take that any day. And tipped the 500 mark on the 1000 mile yokey to boot.

I'll take a lot of heart from todays run. If I can do another 1 of this duration with perhaps a slightly shortly one next week I'd be in good shape.

Total miles today: 20.3
    No. of runs this year: 65
    Total mileage this year: 505.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant run SJ- 20 miles at 7:15 pace is smashing, and shows that you have the endurance necessary. I might have to buy a treadmill now:)

How did you feel on the last few miles?

Great running after yesterdays race, and no sports drinks or gels will greatly benefit you too, according to MacMillan (if it doesn't kill you first:)). I couldn't have managed today's run without some sustenance. Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

..., and no sports drinks or gels will greatly benefit you too, according to MacMillan . ...

+1 to this. You've no fat on your body, so I don't know what you use for fuel- some form of photosynthasis?:)

The more I think about it, what a great run this was: you ran a hilly enough 20 at 7:15 pace, unfueled, after a hard race, in a heavy training schedule... my one doubt about your program was the lack of long runs, but as today shows, you very much have got it right. Bring it on.
    The only downside for you is that first home gets the beers in:D

Brilliant run SJ- 20 miles at 7:15 pace is smashing, and shows that you have the endurance necessary. I might have to buy a treadmill now:)

How did you feel on the last few miles?

Thanks. Yeah - I needed to prove something to myself with this run as its true my schedule is more prominent on the shorter stuff.

I actually felt okay - as okay as you can be. On the last hilly bit I still kept my pace below 5 min k. And the last 3 full k splits were: 4:13, 4:14, 4:14 or so. All the while I scarcely looked at the watch. I just wanted to run comforable, not push it and not be conscious of time. So, taking into account this was a hilly run, blustery conditions and the day after a tough race I figure I can take a lot from it. Now.. where is that celebratory cup of tea I had :)

Great running after yesterdays race, and no sports drinks or gels will greatly benefit you too, according to MacMillan (if it doesn't kill you first:)). I couldn't have managed today's run without some sustenance. Congrats!

Thanks Krusty. I think there is a message there somewhere around consistent training - that we're all benefitting from. See our progress on the 1000 mile challenge. The hill runs and races we are all doing is also paying dividends.

• Advertisement

Suffering from DOMS today as prophetized by donothopopop. Will try to get out for a recovery 5 miler later. Link to one of the photos taken at Trooperstown race.. courtesy of Lindie. I'm coming up the rear in the red top.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindie/3317607134/sizes/m/in/set-72157614497718939/

They're actually brilliant photos. I love the fact that you can see three different lines of runners at different stages of the race. Didn't make it into any though. Think I may have been moving too fast. :D

Good to see I'm not the only one who does the unfuelled runs. Is it a deliberate plan on your part to gain a specific advantage or just something that happens?

I can only echo what the lads have said - an excellent run at an excellent pace.

Thanks Amadeus. A bit of both - something that I deliberately do. I would have breakfasted well as usual beforehand with porridge, tea and toast - my regular regime, so I generally know I'm good to go for a few hours if need be.

2 years ago I would have been setting out on a long training run with 3 or 4 little water bottles around the waist belt, and probably over hydrating on such runs. Since then I've gotten used to drinking less and less. I'd bring 1 small bottle the odd time, but not in a while. As I said, if I was stuck for water I could drink spring water flowing off the hills. I'm not a gel fan, so I tend to stay away from them. If I managed 2 in a marathon thats the extent of it. Funnily enough I've just leafed through the latest runnersworld mag and they do a gel review. I think its SIS go gel gets the thumbs up but you need to take this every 20 mins according to the article, which seems ridiculous to me. If I can run for 3 hours with minimum sustenance and at a sustained pace I'm happy with that. On the day there'll the the water stops and gatorade or the equivalent in any event.

34 days to go. Its creeping up slowly but surely...

Recovery day today. A run up and down Annacurra hill. A piece of advice (to myself as much as anyone else). A hill run as a recovery is not a good idea :) Running uphill this evening was actually easier than downhill. Muscles aching a lot. Started to rain half way through and it was a welcome relief. Said a few silent prayers for our runner in Barcelona which could easily have been any of us. His family was in my thoughts throughout the day.

Garmin: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7723266
    Total miles today: 5.75
    No. of runs this year: 66
    Total mileage this year: 511.1

33 days to go.

Fairly miserable weather so the gym treadmill beckoned. Started at marathon pace and got progressively faster each kilometre. Went through 10K in 38:31 which is a wussy TM PB :eek: and kept going to the 45 mins required covering 11.7k in total. Avg pace for 10K and throughout was 3:51 Felt mysteriously great early on. As it got faster it got tougher but never off the wall tough. Strange too that afterwards I felt no muscle aches or pains. I've said it before.. I'll say it again.. I wish I could bottle that feeling I had of running very fast and quite comfortably.

Total miles today: 7.27
    No. of runs this year: 67
    Total mileage this year: 518.4

32 days to go.

Time at a premium today. Could just about do the bare minimum 5 miler and the easiest option was to use the treadmill in the gym before work. Finding that what is now an easy run wouldn't have been so easy some time ago. I suppose thats progress. Pace 4:12

Total miles today: 5.17
    No. of runs this year: 68
    Total mileage this year: 523.5

31 days to go.

Wrapped up for the cold and headed out in blustery conditions this morning but felt good and managed a good pace throughout, finishing it faster than the required pace. Overall pace 4:11 and not a treadmill in sight.

Total miles today: 5.83
    No. of runs this year: 69
    Total mileage this year: 529.4

Less than a month now. How's your state of mind? Confident of hitting the target?

• Advertisement

Cheers. Apart from the odd moment of doubting myself I'm generally positive about my chances. I've never done this kind of sustained structured training before and I'm seeing improvements all the time, so touch wood...

Advertisement