Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

30 days to go.

An easy 7k on the treadmill in 30 mins.

Total miles today: 4.38
    No. of runs this year: 70
    Total mileage this year: 533.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

when are you slowing down,so i can catch up wit you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

You're being very sensible in your mileage this week, will you bump it up next week for a last hard push?

Ultraman - our tapers will nearly coincide - you'll be a week or so ahead of me thats all I think. You won't be long catching me if you're considering 22 milers when you're tired :)

d'pop - yeah. Following HH pretty much by the book in terms of distance this week (probably doing it faster though) and next week it picks up longer for the last time. Looking forward to having that bit over, not sure about the doing :)

29 days to go.

An easy week on the mileage this week and this run was slow and quite short for a Saturday but it made up for it with the climbs (total of 971m in a 9 mile run :eek:). 2 circuits of the route that will be used on the imra Crone run in 2 weeks time. These hills will separate the men (not me) from the boys (I'm more in this category when it comes to these climbs methinks). It starts steep and hard, then gets steeper and harder then theres a technical steep bit, then a technical descent and just when you think you're on the descent to the finish, the race director slaps you in the face and sends you back up another short but savage ascent, before finally after another short technical descent you can flow downhill on the track. Well.. did this morning slowly twice, so I'll probably have nightmares about it for the next few nights. :)

Garmin of training run here. The garmin can't quite deal with the profile of the hills and shows them as cliffs almost...
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7745167

Total miles today: 9.1
    No. of runs this year: 71
    Total mileage this year: 542.8

• Advertisement

28 days to go.

HH called for 22k or so today so with time tight I pretty much nailed a half marathon distance in faster than marathon pace. The 'out' 10K was net uphill.. 43.15 4:20 pace. Then the 'in' 10K which was 39:32 3:57 pace, with a sub 4 k then tagged on at the end. All sorts of weather from wind to rain to sleet to sun. 270m of climb all in too. A very good confidence builder and not far off my half marathon PB. Total moving time 1:27:13. Avg pace: 4:07

All the while I was trying out a new pair of saucony racing flats I bought. Cut into the ankle on the first wear but happy with them.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7752361

Total miles today: 13.14
    No. of runs this year: 72
    Total mileage this year: 556

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Are you planning on running the marathon in those racing flats? Have you raced that distance in flats before?

Hi Peckham,
    I wore asics DS racers in marathons a few years back and these saucony racers are similar. I've 4 weeks to Rotterdam so plenty of time to break them.

Any views - racers vs. regular runners. My regular pairs in training have been asics 2130s, but a vet recommended I give flats a go as they could make a worthwhile difference to the time...

They certainly worked today for me. I started slow - with no goal to go fast. If I'd started faster I could have broken my HM PB I'm sure of it and thats without the race adhrenaline.

Cheers,
    SJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Hi Peckham,
    I wore asics DS racers in marathons a few years back and these saucony racers are similar. I've 4 weeks to Rotterdam so plenty of time to break them.

Any views - racers vs. regular runners. My regular pairs in training have been asics 2130s, but a vet recommended I give flats a go as they could make a worthwhile difference to the time...

They certainly worked today for me. I started slow - with no goal to go fast. If I'd started faster I could have broken my HM PB I'm sure of it and thats without the race adhrenaline.

Cheers,
    SJ.
    I ran paris carrying 212 ibs in flats over the cobble stones last year and will def run in them in Rotterdam. Was adviseed that they are for light runners but i like the feel of them. Probaly recovery after the marathon would take longer when you wear them....Any thoughts ??
    Very good run out of you...
    Are you on target for 3 hours ??

Cheers. I'll get used to them in training but so far so good. Touch wood I'm on course for sub 3 hours. A run like I did yesterday with hills and bad weather thrown in can only be good for my confidence.

27 days to go.

Recovery run on treadmill, breaking the journey on the way to work this morning. 8k plus the usual Hal Higdon strength exercises. Didn't feel stiff or sore despite the continous days of running. Looking forward to getting this week over with :)

Total miles today: 4.97
    No. of runs this year: 73
    Total mileage this year: 560.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Any views - racers vs. regular runners.

I've never worn racers, so can't really comment on them. I use so much support in my runners, that I'm certainly not a candidate for flats, and would probably be in agony if I tried to run a marathon with them! Would be nervous to even try them over 10k.

The only thing I know about their suitability for marathons is what Pfitzinger writes about them. He says they're only suited for men who...
    - run marathon faster than 2:40
    - weigh less than 160lbs
    - have good biomechanics
    - injury free history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Peckham wrote: »
    The only thing I know about their suitability for marathons is what Pfitzinger writes about them. He says they're only suited for men who...
    - weigh less than 160lbs
    - have good biomechanics
    - injury free history

Personally I don't wear flats for races over 10 miles. I feel I do get a benefit racing in them but it takes me ages to recover fully from wearing them. I wouldn't wear them in a marathon I'd be afraid of cramping up due to lack of support.

I think the Pfitzinger suitability criteria above are reasonable and if you are thinking of wearing flats you need to be training in them regularly IMO. Don't experiment on the day !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

- weigh less than 160lbs
    - have good biomechanics
    - injury free history

I'm playing around with wearing them at the moment but I'm really not sure. I had them on for the 10 mile race at the weekend and I'm not convinced for anything further than the half. Your best bet is to wear them in one training run of around 18 miles or so and see how they feel. I think that's what I may do a few weeks out depending on how they feel in the half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I've never worn racers, so can't really comment on them. I use so much support in my runners, that I'm certainly not a candidate for flats, and would probably be in agony if I tried to run a marathon with them! Would be nervous to even try them over 10k.

- weigh less than 160lbs
    - have good biomechanics
    - injury free history

Peckham, do you wear XC shoes in XC? I find they have very little support although I suppose that the surface is forgiving.

- weigh less than 160lbs
    - have good biomechanics
    - injury free history

Cheers. I'm 3 out of 4! I could dream of running 2:40 in another life maybe :rolleyes:

I think the Pfitzinger suitability criteria above are reasonable and if you are thinking of wearing flats you need to be training in them regularly IMO. Don't experiment on the day !

Thanks. I've more than 3 weeks to go and I've broken them in on 3 runs so far and so far so good, apart from a cutting in slightly on an ankle but nothing that vaseline and a plaster / time can't fix.

I'm playing around with wearing them at the moment but I'm really not sure. I had them on for the 10 mile race at the weekend and I'm not convinced for anything further than the half. Your best bet is to wear them in one training run of around 18 miles or so and see how they feel. I think that's what I may do a few weeks out depending on how they feel in the half marathon.

LSR of 33k next weekend so they'll get a true test then... Taaa.

26 days to go.

Debated with myself before gearing up to run before work this morning, stopping off at Shangannagh park. It was quite windy and that made doing intervals a bit tricky, but I prevailed and the times were better than I would have expected. 2 min jog recoveries in between.
    00:03:07
    00:03:00
    00:02:52
    00:03:01
    00:02:53
    00:02:57
    00:02:58
    00:02:53
    Avg pace of 2:58. The up and down nature of some of the times were undoubtedly due to wind affects/assists. Not happy doing it, but happy afterwards. Very happy too to finish strongly. This is the last big interval session. Yippee.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7769359

Total miles today: 7.26
    No. of runs this year: 74
    Total mileage this year: 568.2

25 days to go.

Jack Bauer style we're nearly at 24. Hal's schedule today called for a normal paced 5 mile run. He calls a normal run a run which can pass the conversation pace test. As I didn't have anyone to run with I probably ended up running too fast but felt comfortable nonetheless. Its a sign of progress that I can just go out and run at a 4:08k pace. It would have been a lot faster but for the slowish first k. Nice conditions for running in Shangannagh park after work.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7774254

Total miles today: 5.02
    No. of runs this year: 75
    Total mileage this year: 573.2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A 41 min 10k, while holding a conversation is some level of fitness! Roll-on your marathon!

• Advertisement

24 days to go.

Effectively did the required tempo run yesterday evening so relaxed a bit with a return to my old training haunt and did some running around the wonderful trails of Avondale. 3 loops of a new circuit with another runner and this time the conversation test (being able to talk and run that is) was passed. This place is a joy to run in.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7778850

Total miles today: 5.46
    No. of runs this year: 76
    Total mileage this year: 578.7

23 days to go.

Swapped the marathon paced run from tomorrow to today. Ran it before work with a mate and was happy with overall pace (marginally faster than necessary) and ability to talk. Even did the muddy bits in Shangannagh this time Krusty.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7783988

Total miles today: 9.91
    No. of runs this year: 77
    Total mileage this year: 588.6

I'm putting my marathon trip to Rotterdam to good use by raising money for the Alzheimers Society, a cause thats close to my heart. If anyone wants to make a contribution, no matter how small, I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_hanney_alzheimers_society_sponsorship/

22 days to go.

Strong temptation to rest today ahead of LSR. Stronger temptation to run on the lovely morning that presented itself. Did an easy and short trail run in Glen of the Downs.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7786883

Running Rotterdam and raising money for Alzheimers: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_hanney_alzheimers_society_sponsorship/
    Total miles today: 4.3
    No. of runs this year: 78
    Total mileage this year: 592.9

21 days to go.

A better morning for running you couldn't wish for. Last LSR in prep for Rotterdam. Headed out backroads to Aughavannagh and back with a loop pinned on at the end which took in another hill from Aughrim. All done at an avg 4:40 pace with donothoponpop. We're both running well and looking forward to the taper. Bring it on. Rest day tomorrow to celebrate.

Run: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7797582

Running Rotterdam and raising money for Alzheimers: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_h...y_sponsorship/
    Total miles today: 20.53
    No. of runs this year: 79
    Total mileage this year: 613.4 :D:D:D

• Total mileage for the week was 57, a good no. to be tapering from. 2 weeks back I hit a peak of 65 miles. Crossed the 600 mile threshold on the 1000 mile challenge too, so that too in a way has been a nice motivational sideline.
    • Today's run was pretty much the same route as the LSR 2 weeks back, which I managed to run at 4:30 min/k pace, 10 secs per k faster than today. Today's run was better paced and had the benefit of a running partner from stopping me going to fast. Training runs are all the better for having someone to run with.
    • Today's run featured some 470m of hills that won't be in Rotterdam. I wonder can I run on the completely flat :D

Schedule called for a recovery run today but I opted for a rest day, my first in.. eh.. a month, so I think I owe myself that.

Looking back over my schedule for Rotterdam...
    I've averaged 84k per week which is my best sustained training by a long shot.

I've pledges approaching 600 euro so far and counting for Alzheimers Ireland. And KC I'll be trying my damnedest to get the other half of your pledge by running that sub 3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I've pledges approaching 600 euro so far and counting for Alzheimers Ireland. And KC I'll be trying my damnedest to get the other half of your pledge by running that sub 3 :)

I've donated a few quid. Like Krusty I'll double it if you go sub 3 !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

And KC I'll be trying my damnedest to get the other half of your pledge by running that sub 3 :)
    It's a cruel and mean thing to do. :P But it did help me get my sub 3:30 goal in my first marathon (and collect loads more money to boot!).

• Advertisement

19 days to go.

Fab morning. Headed up Annacurra hill and did some hill repeats, 400m up, jog back and repeat 6 times, with a hill run to warmdown pinned on afterwards. Tough going in the warming conditions. Avg time of 1:41 with a best and worst of 1:37 and 1:47.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7814786

Running Rotterdam and raising money for Alzheimers: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_h...y_sponsorship/
    Total miles today: 7.7
    No. of runs this year: 80
    Total mileage this year: 621.1

Advertisement