Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad or mad to run?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

18 days to go.

The countdown is upon us in earnest. 5 miles 'normal' run was called for. Ran with my mate after work in a foggy and cool Shangannagh doing progressively faster kilometres which included a last km of 3:39 :eek:, that was almost unintentional. Avg: pace of 4:06 which is nearly at tempo run pace, but what the heck it was fun. Short tempo run tomorrow as the taper continues.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7821836

Running Rotterdam and raising money for Alzheimers: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_h...y_sponsorship/
    Total miles today: 5
    No. of runs this year: 81
    Total mileage this year: 626.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Whats your plan the nxt 18 days ??
    Stick me down for 10 euro and double it if you break the 3.
    Hope to meet ye on the line at the start......Are you planning to go thru halfway in 1.30 dead ?

Thanks vr. And much appreciated for the pledge. I'll do my best to get that extra tenner :). I would expect to be reaching half way slightly ahead of time, say 1:28ish, to maintain pace til 32k when the race will start in earnest. I've had a good training schedule so far and touch wood I've remained injury free so I'm confident I can give it a good lash.

The plan for the next 2 weeks til race day is as per the following table:

Date ,km ,Type
    19-Mar-09 ,7.5 ,Tempo
    20-Mar-09 ,0 ,Rest
    21-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Mar. Pace
    22-Mar-09 ,20 ,LSR
    23-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Recovery
    24-Mar-09 ,7.5 ,Tempo
    25-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Easy
    26-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Mar. Pace
    27-Mar-09 ,0 ,Rest
    28-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Easy
    29-Mar-09 ,13 ,Easy
    30-Mar-09 ,5 ,Recovery
    31-Mar-09 ,6 ,4x400s
    01-Apr-09 ,5 ,Easy
    02-Apr-09 ,0 ,Rest
    03-Apr-09 ,0 ,Rest
    04-Apr-09 ,3 ,Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thanks vr. And much appreciated for the pledge. I'll do my best to get that extra tenner :). I would expect to be reaching half way slightly ahead of time, say 1:28ish, to maintain pace til 32k when the race will start in earnest. I've had a good training schedule so far and touch wood I've remained injury free so I'm confident I can give it a good lash.

The plan for the next 2 weeks til race day is as per the following table:

Date ,km ,Type
    19-Mar-09 ,7.5 ,Tempo
    20-Mar-09 ,0 ,Rest
    21-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Mar. Pace
    22-Mar-09 ,20 ,LSR
    23-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Recovery
    24-Mar-09 ,7.5 ,Tempo
    25-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Easy
    26-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Mar. Pace
    27-Mar-09 ,0 ,Rest
    28-Mar-09 ,6.5 ,Easy
    29-Mar-09 ,13 ,Easy
    30-Mar-09 ,5 ,Recovery
    31-Mar-09 ,6 ,4x400s
    01-Apr-09 ,5 ,Easy
    02-Apr-09 ,0 ,Rest
    03-Apr-09 ,0 ,Rest
    04-Apr-09 ,3 ,Easy

impressive taper. I am a tired runner at present. What is your best race to date abeit 10 mile 1okm etc to see if if i could keep you company. As in i might be going to fast with you. I am staying in the westin which is beside the start i think. I would like the spare min at ha\lf way too.
    Training has gone well. Ran 16 @ 6.44 tuesday but after 1 mile it was a struggle. Glad i got thru it to be honest but i never enjoyed it. and we will arrange to meet up and especially after it handing over 20 euro. Send me a PM with your mob number to arrange meeting up.

17 days to go.

Similar to yesterday. This was a short run as the taper winds on but tempo pace was called for, so ramped it up progressively to avg. out at 4:00 min/k pace for the session despite running with mate and chatting away (albeit in very short sentences for the fast bits!)

Running Rotterdam and raising money for Alzheimers: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_hanney_alzheimers_society_sponsorship
    Total miles today: 4.79
    No. of runs this year: 82
    Total mileage this year: 631

• Advertisement

16 days...

Another rest day said the schedule so I'm obeying.
    Tomorrow I'll give the Crone race a lash but I'll probably run it conservatively - wouldn't want to pick up an injury at this point...
    Sunday an LSR along the Wicklow way is planned.

Sincere thanks to everyone who has helped with my fund raising for Alzheimers. I'll do my best to live up to people's support and messages.

15 days to go.

imra Winter League race in Crone wood near Enniskerry.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7837471

Perfect conditions for the last winter league race with Spring sunshine. I was 50 50 as to whether I'd do this race so close to Rotterdam, but I decided to run it but not to do anything stupid which might risk injury. Race was savage. For a short race the amount of climb is unreal and I was walking the steep bits with very leaden legs, despite having run every inch of the self same hills twice recently on a training run. Thats the effect of a fast race start I suppose and the ability of the muscles to cope (or not in my case) with the transition across the different gradients. Still, on a positive side I ran reasonably well and I was up and around those runners that I normally finish around. That was despite a crowded start which due to a narrow steep path wasn't condusive to keeping up with the lead guys. It was the most competitive race of the league thus far with some of the top guys back allied to the up and coming runners from the various universities. I ran conservatively enough but it worked for me. While I lost ground to some on the climb I got past more on the descent. The sting in the tail for those running this route for the first time was the 2nd climb which knocks the stuffing out of you, before the fast trail finish. Clocked a 3:20 kilometre on that stretch and I was probably holding something back - LSR tomorrow! Very happy with the days work. Don't know yet my finish place but should be top 20 hopefully. Eoin ran well to finish in the top 4 and secure the Winter League title and Sean Downey wasn't too far behind me at the finish - so Sean if you declare for boards (pop sinead roche at imra dot ie an email to do so) we'll have a team result today.

Helping Alzheimers:
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_hanney_alzheimers_society_sponsorship

Total miles today: 9.21
    No. of runs this year: 83
    Total mileage this year: 640.2

14 days to go.

Met donothoponpop and another pal to run the Wicklow way trail route. The guys hadn't raced yesterday so they went off at a faster pace than I could manage. What was a lovely day lower down was a wild, windy and foggy day up high around Djouce. Muscles were sore in the early part of run and it was a bit of a struggle, but got into it and hung in there on the steep climb up from Curtlestown and speeded up as I went. Ran it in decent time, less than 5 mins short of my race time last year, so it wasn't quite an LSR :eek:
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7847026

Results of imra Winter League posted. Chuffed with my 9th place finish (and 4th in M40). A nice improvement from my 18th place in the WL last year.

Helping Alzheimers:
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_hanney_alzheimers_society_sponsorship

Total miles today: 13.95
    No. of runs this year: 84
    Total mileage this year: 654.2

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Well done SJ on a good result yesterday, not bad for someone "taking it easy" Had hoped to be further up on the climb and get around in a similar time to you, but hadn't the legs. Case of the jitters right from the start I think. Totally destroyed my running average for the year too :(
    Gerry had already stuck me down for Clonliffe, somehow I even managed to score for them (in 32nd place :eek:) but wouldn't have made a difference anyway, the score wouldn't have counted in the league for either team...

Had the 'wish I was there' syndrome today as I flicked through results of Conn. My first time in 4 years I'm not there. Great to see the boardsies doing well and reading people's great race accounts. Particularly so to read the result of the fantastic programme of training that guys have done. Hats off to you all.

Was sorely tempted to rest today as the weekend had taken a toll, but dragged the body onto the treddie this evening and did 4 easy miles. Felt happier afterwards and can now look forward to that tempo run tomorrow. Only 13 days to go.

Total miles today: 4
    No. of runs this year: 85
    Total mileage this year: 658.2

• Advertisement

This was supposed to be a tempo run but with the blustery conditions we just ran easily. Happy not to be pushing it at this stage.

Total miles today: 4.8
    No. of runs this year: 86
    Total mileage this year: 663

Yesterday:
    8k on treadmill in 31:51

Today:
    Struggle of a run with the windy conditions around Shangannagh park with some 800 intervals thrown in. Weather ruined it but good to get out nonetheless.
    13.32 in 52 mins.

Total miles yesterday/today: 12
    No. of runs this year: 88
    Total mileage this year: 675

Yesterday:
    Rest...

Today:
    Short hill/trail run first thing in the strong winds that were guaranteed to wake you right up. Want to do more. Damn this taper.

Delighted with the response to my fundraising. I'll have 1,500 committed by the time I reach the start line in Rotterdam. Thanks all.

Total miles yesterday/today: 5.5
    No. of runs this year: 89
    Total mileage this year: 680.5
    Raising money in Rotterdam: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_hanney_alzheimers_society_sponsorship

Smashing run this morning around the beautiful trails of Avondale house. If you've never run here you are missing out.

Total miles yesterday/today: 9.3
    No. of runs this year: 90
    Total mileage this year: 689.9
    Raising money in Rotterdam: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mick_hanney_alzheimers_society_sponsorship
    Gardmin: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7891233

Heres my stats for the 16 weeks so far on Hal Hidgon Advanced Marathon Schedule II. I reckon I've followed his schedule aprox 95%. I've actually done more mileage than would be strictly required e.g. I skipped rest days when I didn't feel like it or ran a longer LSR sometimes. Its the best sustained schedule of training I've ever done so I should be in my best ever shape. Touch wood :) While I did a lot of stuff, particularly early on, on the treadmill, I still managed to cover an awful lot of hills which should help the stamina. Difficult to find flat runs in these parts.

Date Kms Time
    Week 1 44 03:29
    Week 2 48 03:28
    Week 3 71 05:44
    Week 4 97 08:20
    Week 5 96 07:17
    Week 6 88 07:00
    Week 7 86 06:17
    Week 8 81 06:12
    Week 9 101 08:17
    Week 10 90 07:18
    Week 11 95 07:22
    Week 12 106 08:11
    Week 13 82 06:27
    Week 14 92 06:55
    Week 15 66 05:20
    Week 16 57 04:19
    Total(km) 1301
    Average 81 06:22
    Average pace 04:42
    Total hills (m) 22,476
    Hills per week 1,405

Easy morning run on treadmill. The body wants to run faster and farther but the schedule says save it for the weekend.

Printed off a pacing bracklet from marathonguide.com for the weekend. 4:16 per km x 42.125 will do just nicely.

Total miles yesterday/today: 4
    No. of runs this year: 91
    Total mileage this year: 694

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

best of luck in the race sj......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Easy morning run on treadmill. The body wants to run faster and farther but the schedule says save it for the weekend.

Printed off a pacing bracklet from marathonguide.com for the weekend. 4:16 per km x 42.125 will do just nicely.

Total miles yesterday/today: 4
    No. of runs this year: 91
    Total mileage this year: 694
    Is the route only posted in kms? I think I'd prefer miles. The number just sounds so much more approachable.

Any continental marathons I've done are in kms but I've been working in kms for all my training over the last year practically, so it works for me. They go by that bit quicker :)

Another treadie run this morning.. another 4 miler this time with 5 400m intervals thrown in to get the leg speed going. 6.6k in 27:27. Overalll avg pace was 4:10 which is faster than I'll need come Sunday. An easy 3 miler tomorrow and thats pretty much it.

Total miles today: 4.1
    No. of runs this year: 92
    Total mileage this year: 698.1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good stuff SJ, your ticking over nicely. Whats the weather to be like, Paris is to be warm @20 c. When do yee fly out. Any taper madness going on or just gluttony

Cheers Woddle. Having run avg 55 miles a week all year the body doesn't know what to do with itself what with rest days and very short runs. I've just eaten my 2nd dinner of pasta today so I guess I score on the gluttony front, then again I could do with the body fat. Flying out Saturday morning to Amsterdam with the train directly onto Rotterdam. So I'm from now til then to think positive thoughts and get those vibes flowing.
    I've seen weather forecasts which range from 15 to 17 degrees, partly cloudy. Sounds okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi SJ it been a pleasure reading your log and watching how your training has progressed.
    great example of consistent running geared towards your goal race.
    best of luck this weekend .
    you've done the work now go reap the rewards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'll second that - of the three of us going out you def have the most consistent training done and you richly deserve the sub 3 you'll run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck and look forward to hearing how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The rest of my donation is burning a hole in my pocket. Get the sub-3 already! Best of luck with race, and let us know how many minutes you managed to shave off the 3 hour mark. :)

Thanks for all the supportive messages. Its fantastic for the morale.
    Its a great boost too that I've raised, with your help, almost 1500 lids for charity.

Today was supposed to be a last run, an easy run. Did 3 slowish k, but on the way back to work picked the speed up and I quite comfortably finished 7.5k in total in an avg pace of 4:14.. 34.5k of those on Sunday and I'd be in the happy zone. Can't wait at this stage. I'll be getting funny looks during the race wearing my Irish mountain running vest :)

Total miles today: 4.66
    No. of runs this year: 93
    Total mileage this year: 702.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

The rest of my donation is burning a hole in my pocket. Get the sub-3 already!

+1. Hope you have a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

SJ your in the best form ever to go sub 3. With the great winter form in those IMRA races and all those great pace runs, you just need to keep the legs turning over for those last 5ks in the race which you know are the toughest.
    Ideally if you turn half way in the 1:28's (and no quicker) you'll be celebrating.
    Important - keep taking the fluids in especially early in the race.

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    SJ your in the best form ever to go sub 3. With the great winter form in those IMRA races and all those great pace runs, you just need to keep the legs turning over for those last 5ks in the race which you know are the toughest.
    Ideally if you turn half way in the 1:28's (and no quicker) you'll be celebrating.
    Important - keep taking the fluids in especially early in the race.

Good advice as ever Abhainn. Many thanks for the encouragement. I'll be doing my bestest :)

Advertisement