Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowlight of 2008

• 01-01-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well have one of these too.

For Shels it's gotta be that last minute goal against Limerick. I'll never experience what I did after that goal went in. The life that was sucked outta me.

For Watford it would have to be the limp to the finish after such a good first half to the Championship season last season. Booked flights for Blackpool away, the last game, expecting it to be a game for us to get promotion. Ended up being fight to get into the play offs. We got in. And then Hull smashed us.

What's yours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Sligo's financial troubles, a league table with asteriks beside teams names.

Evra getting that 4 match ban annoyed my ****e too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Most City fans would say the 8-1 defeat to Boro but for me the warning signs came when we bent over and took a good arse raping from Fulham in the second half at the COMS. Elano at right back etc. Awfully depressing stuff and it was the beginning of the end for Sven.

Waking up to see the Shels final day fuck up had me absolutely gutted as well.

Spurs vs Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Eduardos broken leg, Horrendous. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Our financial woes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

not having the dream CL final of liverpool - man utd

Jazzy wrote: »
    not having the dream CL final of liverpool - man utd

Naa to be honest.

Too scary for both sides. I'd **** the bed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Evra getting that 4 match ban annoyed my ****e too!
    Boggles wrote: »
    Eduardos broken leg, Horrendous. :(

These 2, but obviously for very different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Yeah the night after the Shels-Limerick match was my lowpoint.
    Also, Stuttgart losing to Freiburg for the 1st time in 10 years on the only time I made it over to the stadium last year was pretty crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I realise that my love affiar with Shelbourne was put on hiatus in May 2001, after a seven year turbulent relationship, I could never imagine that I would have been as gutted as I was on November 15th. Tolka Park deserved a promotion that evening.

With West Ham.....I am satisfied that we stayed up, and we still had Bellamy, Parker, Upson, Green and Behrami. 2009 could be a lot worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Losing the League One playoff final when we'd done all the hard work by coming back from the 15 point deduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sitting in a local pub watching the CL final and watching a quartet of grown men in full Manchester United regalia with thick Dublin accents physically & audibly running the gamut of emotions from despair to ecstasy as their favourite sports franchise scored some penalties or missed or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mark Hughes leaving Blackburn Rovers. I knew we would be in trouble no matter who we got to replace him. Luckily we now have someone who can rescue us from the nightmare of relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Champions league semi defeat to Chelsea.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Easy.

terry5_666x450_492361a.jpg

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

That Scanlon goal for Limerick aswell, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Newcastle United

Where does one begin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Newcastle Untied

Where does one begin?

With the correct spelling of the team name I suppose :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Playing UCD at Belfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    With the correct spelling of the team name I suppose :p

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Losing both Flamini and Gilberto and the painful realisation no-one was being brought in to replace them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Utd winning the champions league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Kevin Hunt retiring (before he would have wished, due to personal circumstances).

Utd winning the champions league

The Best team winning the competition is hardly a low light whatever side of the fence you sit on.

If your a Chelsea fan losing it is a lowlight, United winning it is disappointing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rijkaard's painfully slow demise only beaten by Scully's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Boggles wrote: »
    The Best team winning the competition is hardly a low light whatever side of the fence you sit on.

If your a Chelsea fan losing it is a lowlight, United winning it is disappointing.

believe me you it was a lowlight as a Liverpool fan an as a man who laid utd 500 at 5/1 that john terry Cnut cost me €2500

believe me you it was a lowlight as a Liverpool fan an as a man who laid utd 500 at 5/1 that john terry Cnut cost me €2500

Oh right, fair enough I'll give you that as a lowlight. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shelbourne conceding in injury time vs Limerick 37.

Then the Limerick 37 players and bench celebrating like they'd just won the CL.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Easy peasy, from Jan 08 to Jun 08 was all a lowlight, but more specifically;

- 4-1
    - Zambrotta's stupid error at Old Trafford
    - Rijkaard's and the team's faces when we lost to Man Utd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Shelbourne v Limerick was a rough day. Felt sorry for the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Naa to be honest.

Too scary for both sides. I'd **** the bed.

Can never understand that opinion. It was all set up to be probably the biggest grudge match since Holland v Germany in 88, one miskick by Arne Riise and it is shattered :( Utd in the CL is a strange one for me- I watch the games cringing hen they score but half hoping they win so they can meet Liverpool in the quarter/semi/final.

Anyway, my lowlight (bar United winning) was watching the Dutch have a baffling loss of form vs Russia after stemrolling the opposition.

Added to that at the start of the tourno I had them 20 quid at 14/1 IIRC, and from their first 3 matches they looked like they would batter anyone they came up against, including Spain and Germany. Stranglely though I was always worried about them meeting Russia, mainly because of Hiddink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Scully and Rice - and some of the football - at Rovers

Being turned over by Bohs

The usual LOI disasters, including the news about E****m

The Cristiano Ronaldo saga

Eduardo's injury

Paying into Croker to watch dull football, witnessed by a even duller crowd

No real feelings for Shels, but I really felt for the fans, given the nature of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Pigman II wrote: »
    Sitting in a local pub watching the CL final and watching a quartet of grown men in full Manchester United regalia

What, shirts, shorts and socks? Or the whole hog with the duvet covers and wallpaper and everything?

Mine included Limerick's equaliser in Tolka Park, losing the penalty shootout in the UEFA Cup to PSV (made for a depressing three hour train journey back to Amsterdam) and the subsequent 7 months up to Ramos' departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

What, shirts, shorts and socks? Or the whole hog with the duvet covers and wallpaper and everything?

No, just items of clothing that indicate ones preference of the Team Manchester franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eagle eye wrote: »
    Mark Hughes leaving Blackburn Rovers.

^^ Definitely this!!

and as a dedicated ABU, Terry's slip was a serious lowlight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Spurs, every time we have reason to get a little bit optimistic BLAM straight back to earth.

I think Keane and Berbs leaving left quite the sour taste in my mouth though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Being awakened to the news that Cork City was on the verge of extinction.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Traps Central Midfield Selection
    Keano packing it in (prematurely IMO)
    Villa failing to beat liverpool at villa park in the league.
    The credit crisis in the league of ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Evertons loss to Fiorentina, inability to beat the Kopites and the continuation of the Kirkby saga. As well as having no money :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

CL Semi Final - Liverpool losing to Chelsea.
    Bobby Robsons decline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

the mess manchester was left in after the uefa cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Scanlons' 93rd minute equaliser and the following celebrations. I wanted the earth to open up and swallow them all, or me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Lowlight? It will be, and always will be for me anyway, the tabloid media. Oh how I smiled when I read the full transcript of Joe Kinnear's verbal abuse of Simon Bird.

Joe: Which one's Simon Bird?

Bird: Me.

Joe: You're a ****.

Bird: Thank You.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

As a Drogheda United fan the entire year has been a lowlight.

Advertisement