Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Power Sale Today only

Options
  • 01-01-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Loads of 1 day special offers in shop only.
    The ones I can remember are:

MU to win Champions league 8/1
    Denman 5/2 Gold Cup
    Binoc World Hurdle 2/1
    Ireland qualify for World Cup Soccer 9/4
    Henman Wimbledon 7/1
    can't remember the others but the best one of the lot is

Kilkenny to win All Ireland Hurling EVENS :eek:

Looks like they are doing all sort of specials each day in the shops for Jan.
    I especially like the money back offer if your horse loses (if only I knew the races beforehand ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭call d

the wimbledon bet is that scottish guy Murray I think, but some great bets in there today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Thanks for the heads up! gonna stick a few quid on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Yep Murray was the guy.
    Henman would be around 5000/1 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Yep Murray was the guy.
    Henman would be around 5000/1 :P
    500000000000000000000000000000/1

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mitsubishi

You can lay cats on betfair at 1.74 :)

• Advertisement

mitsubishi wrote: »

Only €2 matched As far as i can see! but good Idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Would somebody be willing to post up each daily sale special? Ill try and post if Im in shops but would be great for readers on here to get a heads up.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

mitsubishi wrote: »

Damn, this was one of the arbs of the year. Didn't realise it was shop betting only and missed it. I presume there was a max bet for each shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

usually €300/£200...

It was €200 per bet but not sure if you went up and back 4 or 5 times what
    if anything would be said.

• Advertisement

you probably could make the bet more than once. just come back later and go to a different teller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Would somebody be willing to post up each daily sale special? Ill try and post if Im in shops but would be great for readers on here to get a heads up.

Cheers
    are there more specials today?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

These specials are more than adequately advertised in Powers Shops and on their site, these posts feel like Spam to me. Please lay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭timaaaaay

If there's anything even close to being as good as KK at evens, please post here, spam it is not IMO

Spam? LOL

timaaaaay wrote: »
    If there's anything even close to being as good as KK at evens, please post here, spam it is not IMO

I dont think they will have had a lot of takers, IME people are very reluctant to take short prices at a long distance.

Even with KK at levels they are still 111% on their book so they have left a little for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭timaaaaay

I was in their shops shortly ago, todays specials are some money back on 2nd place in selected dog/horse races, Benni Mccarthy 4/1 (from 3/1 originally) FGS tonight, Blackburn - 2 @ 2/1 from 7/4 and all 4 faves to win tonights BDO darts @ 3/1 from 5/2.

Nothing that really appeals to me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I dont think they will have had a lot of takers, IME people are very reluctant to take short prices at a long distance.

Even with KK at levels they are still 111% on their book so they have left a little for themselves.

If people didn't want to invest long term, that's their issue. The Evens was huge value and i wish i had known and gotten on. It may still be a 111% book overall but there is no margin at all built in to Kilkenny if the price is Evens. In truth, it's way less than the 100% line of the selection considering the standard price appears to be 4/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

These specials are more than adequately advertised in Powers Shops and on their site, these posts feel like Spam to me. Please lay off.

If you don't want to told about some special prices that only lasted for that day, don't join in the thread.
    A lot of people wouldn't have known about the NYD specials if they hadn't gone into the shops and I for one was glad somebody posted it on here as I now have 3/1 and Evens on 2 good things this year (I hope :o) against 2/1 and 4/6.
    I wouldn't have even known they had them up if I hadn't seen it here.

The 111% margin might be correct but that would be using Kilkenny @ 4/6, when they are Evens, the margin goes right down (wouldn't think below 100%) but it was only for that day.

If there's any other firms doing specials for January, can someone please post any details?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If you don't want to told about some special prices that only lasted for that day, don't join in the thread.
    A lot of people wouldn't have known about the NYD specials if they hadn't gone into the shops and I for one was glad somebody posted it on here as I now have 3/1 and Evens on 2 good things this year (I hope :o) against 2/1 and 4/6.

The 111% margin might be correct but that would be using Kilkenny @ 4/6, when they are Evens, the margin goes right down (wouldn't think below 100%) but it was only for that day.

If there's any other firms doing specials for January, can someone please post any details?

+1

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »

It would be far more useful if offers from all firms were posted not just Powers. The fact that the thread is/was confined to Powers makes it feel spammy.

111% is correct using Kilkenny at 1/1 If you use KK at 4/6 Powers are at 121% in what in effect is a 7 runner book, which is 3% per runner. That is a nice wee book if you can lay it. Look behind the hype lads.

It would be far more useful if offers from all firms were posted not just Powers. The fact that the thread is/was confined to Powers makes it feel spammy.

111% is correct using Kilkenny at 1/1 If you use KK at 4/6 Powers are at 121% in what in effect is a 7 runner book, which is 3% per runner. That is a nice wee book if you can lay it. Look behind the hype lads.

As I pointed out above, it's a nice wee book if you can evenly lay each selection and take that margin. In reality though, the evens is way below the 100% line and there's negative margin there. If you're willing to lay the evens, stick it up on Betfair and i'll have a chunk.

Powers SHC book is recast at 100% below and it shows Kilkenny at evens.

Kilkenny 2.02 Tipperary 7.87 Galway 9.08 Cork 10.89 Waterford 15.73 Limerick 22.99 Clare 18.15 Wexford 152.46 Offaly 182.71 Dublin 243.21 Antrim 1211.21 Laois 1211.21

I won't lay in on betfair as it would tie up betting capital for 9 months. Anybody wanting levels about this can surely get it from a friend in the pub without tying up funds.

None of my mates are stupid enough to lay me evens on Kilkenny to be honest.

redarmyblues
    The title of the thread should give it away
    ONE DAY
    So all I was doing was informing people that they were giving some very
    good enhanced odds on some selections that people might like to, back,
    like to back and lay off or just ignore, it didn't matter to me.
    What did matter was that when I posted it, there was only a couple of hours left to do it as they were for that day only.
    It's called giving people a heads up.
    Just happened to drop into PP's on NYD and saw them, wasn't in any other bookie so couldn't say whether or not, anybody else had any offers up?

You seem to have the hump over some of the prices they laid that day,
    maybe a bit close to....

By all means stick up ALL Special offers, enhances, value bets etc from all bookmakers or even start a new thread on it.

wb wrote: »
    Damn, this was one of the arbs of the year. Didn't realise it was shop betting only and missed it. I presume there was a max bet for each shop?

Say you got had e200 on KK @ 1/1 with Powers, laid them back for e214 @1.8 on betfair, you would win e14 come what may come September. If you were to take the e385 and put it on deposit @5% for 9 months you will earn e14.50 in interest. Therefore it would probably be more profitable and possibly more fun to put the money into the Post Office instead of Arbing on Kilkenny in the egg and spoon races.

I would encourage people to be skeptcial when it comes to betting beware of greeks bearing gifts and all that. I do not see the sense in taking a short price in an tournament that does not start for six months and has a history of throwing up suprises, others may disagree , but I think that the paltry sums matched on the machine on this event bears out what I say.

Bookmakers are not above encouraging their employees to come on to betting forums to promote them so when I see an unequivocally uncritical thread concerning the slickest marketing operation in bookmaking I get suspicious of spam, however I am glad to see that whatsupdoc conceded his first post was late as that was one of the things that originally concerned me.

These specials are more than adequately advertised in Powers Shops and on their site

Incorrect.
    I rang them last night to ask what specials they had for the footie and was told specials are for shops only so you have to walk into the shop to get whatever they are doing.
    Probably trying to stop arbsters getting involved or get people going into the shops instead of using the net/phones.

Therefore it would probably be more profitable and possibly more fun to put the money into the Post Office

You sure you're on the right forum?

you got had e200 on KK @ 1/1 with Powers, laid them back for e214 @1.8 on betfair

Anybody who was going to do that would have had at least €1k on it.
    Might have taken a couple of trips to do it but as you say not worth doing it for €14.
    I think most people would have backed KK at 1/1 and been happy with it rather then trying to lay it off.
    Don't forget laying it off would have tied up twice your stake for 9 months.

beware of greeks bearing gifts and all that.
    Whatsupdoc? was telling everybody about the specials that PP were doing that day. He wasn't bearing gifts and there is always the chance the selections will not win but the prices were enhanced so if you were going to back one, any or all of them you could have reduced your stake to win the same amount or staked the same amount to win approx 10-15% more.
    I for one don't see a huge amount wrong with that?
    I do not see the sense in taking a short price in an tournament that does not start for six months

As you see from some of the posters before, most people on here would have had their shirts on KK at 1/1 if they could or had known about it.
    It doesn't matter whether you think it/they will win or not, in a weeks time or 6 months time. It's the fact that you could have got 1/1 on a 4/6 shot (sure you have to wait 9 months to get paid) but gambling is not about deposit rates, it's about getting on early at a good price and sitting happy with your slip for 6-9 months!

It doesn't matter if you bet 1k or 100 the return on deposit @ 5% is higher than the return on the arb.

Many posters on this thread have said they would have backed KK at evens you have to take them at their word on that, however I don't see them queuing their orders for 2.0 up on betfair, e194 has been done @ 1.95 on the purple so 2.0 is layable.

It is also a given on this thread that 2.0 KK is value, yet nobody has condescended to back up this recieved wisdom with argument. Sure 1/1 is a a 20% better price than 4/6 that does not mean that 1/1 is value.

If you're that interested in getting a return on your money, I'm sure there's a place reserved for you in Savings and investments.
    I'm sure they would love to hear your thoughts.

If your choice was: Date & Time of selection running is irrelevant.

To be guaranteed to back a team at 1/1 in a bookies now
    (minimum €200 if you're clever) or
    To have the potential of backing the same selection at 1/1 (same price &
    minimum stake unknown) anytime within the next 6 months (but not guaranteed) and then take 5% off (approx) your winnings if it wins.

I know which one I'd be taking.

1/1 is value on KK wining another All Ireland Hurling Title.
    Tell me who is going to stop them?

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter if you bet 1k or 100 the return on deposit @ 5% is higher than the return on the arb.

Possibly not true

Back 100 @ 1/1 on KK PP's
    Lay to win 112 @ 4/5 (available at 1.74 but only for €2)

After 5% commissions, it works out at Up €6.40 or Up € 4.08.
    One slightly worse than the deposit rate and one slightly better.
    I sure if I fiddle around with them, I'd get them to match.

Advertisement