Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: Home or Away??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I prefer Neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'd prefer to stay.....but still keep a weekend holiday home here in oz! :p
    That would be perfect but the flight is so goddammed long that I don't think I could do it more than once a year (even one way).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

the weather is just too awful, and from what I read in the papers people seem to get stabbed/shot all the time. It's a depressing old kip but it's home, and I do love the west of ireland, it's beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm planning to get out of Ireland and move somewhere else in Europe, most likely France, in another year or so. I wouldn't like to be too far away from home but I reckon I've almost had my fill of this country at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

dSTAR wrote: »
    That would be perfect but the flight is so goddammed long that I don't think I could do it more than once a year (even one way).

I dont get that at all! The flight rocks!! Its like having ur own personal entertainment centre in front of ur face, and u have waiter service bringin ya beer. you dont have to move at all and u can sleep where ya sit! I'd easily sit at home for a full sunday in front of the telly if i had a air hostess bringing me booze the whole day, and i had on-demand telly! suppose the only difference there is that u cant shower on the plane...but like, meh! Let the manly odours eminiate, i say! :p

tho in saying that, by the time you left on the friday, and arrived in Oz, you'd have to get the place straight back, meaning you'd save on a mortgage/rent coz you wouldnt actually need a house in the first place!! Bingo, i just saved meself 500k! :p

• Advertisement

I dont get that at all! The flight rocks!! Its like having ur own personal entertainment centre in front of ur face, and u have waiter service bringin ya beer. you dont have to move at all and u can sleep where ya sit!
    You raise some very pertinent points my good man.

Although you forgot to mention the all important piss pouch which is essential so you don't have to queue to take a piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ireland is just home for me. Sure it has its fault but so has everywhere. least we always laugh at ourselves no matter how bad things might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Interesting that a lot of people site their reason for choosing Ireland as "because my family is here" rather than mentioning anything specifically preferential or noteworthy about this country.

I myself will be saying auf wiedersehen soon and setting myself up with a fully bought apartment in Berlin soon. Any country where simply owning a home is as expensive as it is here in Ireland has something seriously sick at its core.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

mfitzy wrote: »
    Ireland is just home for me. Sure it has its fault but so has everywhere. least we always laugh at ourselves no matter how bad things might be.

Is everywhere else's faults brought on themselves as much as Ireland? :p

*runs before the party politicians jump in*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I've been gone for over two years now. Love it over here. I've travelled home twice so far. Next time will be july/aug '09 for a few weeks.

Some people say they don't like being too far away from home, but really you're only over a 2-3 days max away from home. Not that long, easy to get back.

Only thing I miss about Ireland is the Euro.

• Advertisement

You raise some very pertinent points my good man.

Although you forgot to mention the all important piss pouch which is essential so you don't have to queue to take a piss.

Will that also work for number 2's? Or will ya actually have to get up and go to the tiny little air-toilet and poo all over the sea below?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

After living in the states for the last 3 years i cant wait wait to move back in 2009. Moreso for family reasons. Ireland is a great country.

In saying that would have loved to have lived in Lodnon or Austrailia but im tied down now so that wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Will that also work for number 2's? Or will ya actually have to get up and go to the tiny little air-toilet and poo all over the sea below?
    To hell with those pokey little toilets.

What you need is adult diapers. Problem solved on both fronts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I'd say go , if you have the opportunity . I left these shores 25 years ago and had a rare old time discovering mainland europe , which was as far as my pocket would take me . South of France was fantastic - the country folk there are among the best people I have ever met , btw . At the time I was glad to see the back of Ireland ( Dublin , specifically) and never wanted to return . Eventually settled near London and got married . Kids arrived in due course and no way were they going to grow up in a place where people would look away from them when they said 'hello' ! Moved to near Edinburgh for a year but it was little different (probably because of my accent :( ) then headed back to Dublin where I now love the whingeing about the weather and the wry smiles and I dont have to shush my kids on the bus because people actually have time for kids over here !

I suppose I'm just saying go for it if you can and only when abroad will you have a true idea of the merits of home ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No I would stay, we don't have any dangerous animals. Well some women would be considered life threatening if you are in close proximity. :P I love Ireland, wouldn't like to live anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

I will be going for good to Australia this year 2009. Will be gone by July/August.

Stones85 wrote: »
    I will be going for good to Australia this year 2009. Will be gone by July/August.
    Chances are within a few years you will miss the multitude of little things about Ireland that make it unique and it wont seem like a such a bad ol' place after all.

mainly the pubs! sorry to keep goin on about drink, but its impossible to find a local over here like u have back home. They just dont exist, except maybe in the very small towns. Even then, they're not decorated as well as back home.

also, theres no such thing as a "Toy Show" outside ireland!!!

mainly the pubs! sorry to keep goin on about drink, but its impossible to find a local over here like u have back home. They just dont exist, except maybe in the very small towns. Even then, they're not decorated as well as back home.
    I know what you are saying. I miss the carvery lunches and the lads coming into the local on Sunday afternoon to get a few sherbets in. I remember going to 'The Foxes Covert' when I was a kid to meet the relatives from Tallaght back in the day when Tallaght literally was a village and not the satellite town or 'mini city' I hear it has become now.

• Advertisement

lol i used to go there every thursday night for the table quiz! We used to win most weeks. I say "we" but mainly i sat there with me pint, while the rest of them answered all the questions!

I miss goin to the local across the road tho, and watchin the premiership/ireland games. Or if ur bored, ya can all just go over for a few. nothin like that over here. Everyone in sydneyt is a mad health freak! ya can spot the irish a mile off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

Chances are within a few years you will miss the multitude of little things about Ireland that make it unique and it wont seem like a such a bad ol' place after all.

The "burd" is Aussie. A home bird at that. Tbh I miss the North-West being down here in the big smoke in Leinster and all. It's like a different country... so it is.:)

Imo Oz is a better place for our wee bubs too.

lol i used to go there every thursday night for the table quiz! We used to win most weeks. I say "we" but mainly i sat there with me pint, while the rest of them answered all the questions!

I miss goin to the local across the road tho, and watchin the premiership/ireland games. Or if ur bored, ya can all just go over for a few. nothin like that over here. Everyone in sydneyt is a mad health freak! ya can spot the irish a mile off!
    Thanks be to christ Melburnians are not as plastic fantastic as Sydneysiders. Forget that exercise malarkey. Even the Irish pubs down here are pretty tame. I'll be heading out tonight with an Polish friend who likes to drink. Fuck knows where we will end up.

Last time we stumbled into Bridey O'Reilly (not sure if you have it up there) for one and pissed off to hit the bars down on Brunswick Street shortly afterward even though its a bit more scenesterish there.

Stones85 wrote: »
    Imo Oz is a better place for our wee bubs too.
    Even though I miss the old country sometimes and after having lived Stateside, in the UK and Europe I would have to say that Australia probably is the best country in the world to bring up children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 FloorBoard

Any where to get away from Smug Paddy Irishman, or maybe that should be the lately not so smug Paddy Irishman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Moot question for me, as I left Ireland over 3 years ago for a university scholarship and a little work. So using 20-20 hindsight, I guess I would leave for opportunity overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Easy: Go.

Having stayed in America numerous times, it's much, much better than this kip ever could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Ireland is the best country in the world. I wouldnt live anywhere else, but i do love visiting other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Stay in Ireland fo sho, would never move back home....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'll never leave Ireland, except for a holiday every now and again of course :D

Advertisement