Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help explaining plug dilemma

• 01-01-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,023 ✭✭✭✭

Girlfriend bought me a Storex mpix 357HD Media Player from Pixmania for Christmas but here's the problem, the plug attached is an odd one. Might be a European plug (as they're a French company) and the adapter Pixmania sent with it (not in the same box) is entirely wrong.

To help explain, attached (as photo1.jpg) is the plug on the Storex Media Player, it's two bulbous circular prongs which don't seem to fit into any plug connection I have comfortably (in fact, there's quite a bit of pressure to take it out once partly in).

I've also sent a picture of the adapter Pixmania sent (photo2.jpg). I've plenty of these adapters.. they're used with the electric razor type plugs (flat with two prongs that just push into the bottom). There's absolutely no way the plug with the Storex will fit into it. Any adapter I can buy, or should I just chop off the Storex plug head and re-wire it?

Very frustrated.. and can't be arsed with Pixmania's woeful support.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

basquille wrote: »
    .... or should I just chop off the Storex plug head and re-wire it?
    Yep. Simple solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

iv one like that as well for my digital camera...i just turn off the power going to the socket, stick a steak knife in d earth to open d flaps and put it in that way....the only problem is you'll have to keep it in that socket unless you want to go through the whole process again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

coffey-16 wrote: »
    iv one like that as well for my digital camera...i just turn off the power going to the socket, stick a steak knife in d earth to open d flaps and put it in that way....the only problem is you'll have to keep it in that socket unless you want to go through the whole process again

Not exactly the safest option though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Three options:
    1. Get Adaptor
    2. Rewire
    3. If the lead is just a figure-8 or kettle lead (as in, it can be detached from the back of the device), just buy the appropriate irish lead.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah, the Schuko! And to think we used to use those plugs here once upon a time!

Personally, I'd just lob the plug off and rewire a new one.

There are UK-Schuko adaptors if you prefer not to wire a plug, any electrical shop should have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Bryn wrote: »
    Not exactly the safest option though!

do you think there's a current throught the earth pin?

Slaphead07 wrote: »

Very blonde comment i made earlier on, i was half asleep :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,023 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers lads.. it is indeed a Shuko.

Just checked and it is a simple kettle lead from the adapter to the Shuko plug head. Checked the two kettles in my house (both on their way out) and both are wired directly into the base. :(

I've rewired plugs before but not particularly comfortable with it. And seeing I don't have a spare plug head, might just get a kettle lead from parent's house - bound to be one there.

Thanks again lads.. and cheers byte, I can finally put a name to it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Aren't they the same leads that are used on a PC? I'm sure I got one in the computer place in Market Yard beside the garden centre Basquille, for a couple of quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Slaphead07 wrote: »

Still probably not the best thing to advocate though?!

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    Aren't they the same leads that are used on a PC? I'm sure I got one in the computer place in Market Yard beside the garden centre Basquille, for a couple of quid.

You are quite correct on that one!

sueme wrote: »
    Yeah, exact same ones alright. Cheers sue.

I own 3 laptops and a Mac Mini... not one spare power cable lying around.

There's definitely some spare ones lying around either my parents house or brothers house so I'll pick one up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You've three options:

1) Get a "Schuko" adaptor:
    They look like this tz55k.jpg. This will perfectly safely connect your plug to an Irish socket, and will make the earth connection correctly. The adaptor in the thread further up is not suitable for Schuko.

Or, a permanently fitted one like this for a neater job :

73096big.gif

Available here : http://www.lindy.ie/earthed-schuko-plug-converter/73096.html

The version they sent is for the smaller unearthed version of the plug.
    2_pin_europlug.gif

2) Cut the plug off, and wire on an Irish one.

3) Replace the cable with an Irish/UK version. Any computer shop has them in stock.

Crisis averted!

Went searching in the press with my old surround sound system and... my 14 week old Yorkshire Terrier almost took it as his chew toy

Advertisement