Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Store closures for 2009? [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Also that new Tommy Hilfiger shop on Grafton St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Is it Spar? I was meeting someone on O'Connell street this morning and as I was walking along I was looking at the shops trying to figure out which it might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Is it the shop in this pic behind the tree between Best and Abra?

Its one of those shops that sells irish gifts and there must
    be around 20 of them around the country in all the touristy
    spots?

Seems like a likely target?

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6532/bestocstoq4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's Caddles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Clearys

sure they had to put DID in their store to help get more customers in etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Shiny wrote: »

spots?

I suspect your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

spots?

Nope...

smccarrick wrote: »
    Whats with all the cryptic stuff.
    Spit it out, or stay quiet.

Be patient Daniel Son... Tomorrow, we paint fence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Aha Darragh you haven't confirmed or denied that it's Spar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Nope...

Dammit !
    I was so sure!

Its hardly spar. (he mentioned that there are around 20 outlets)

Spar have alot more than that don't they ?

Dammit !
    I was so sure!

Its hardly spar. (he mentioned that there are around 20 outlets)

Spar have alot more than that don't they ?

Nope, not Spar. Not Burger king either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It gives me the shivers every time I see this thread creeping to the top of the forum :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Is it Claires Accorisies jewellary place? They always seem empty

Havent been in Dublin in a long time but is that manky Cafe Kylemore still open? If so, that could be a contender ... although my money is on Burger King

It gives me the shivers every time I see this thread creeping to the top of the forum :eek:

Why, do you work on O' Connell Street??? :D

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Is it Claires Accorisies jewellary place? They always seem empty

Havent been in Dublin in a long time but is that manky Cafe Kylemore still open? If so, that could be a contender ... although my money is on Burger King

No, not this business but you're starting to vaguely go in the right direction though, (not necessarily geographically), away from Burger King!

• Advertisement

For those that like to rock, Sentinel Records in the Temple Bar is to close at the end of February. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I would say it is Best Menswear.

Isn't the O'Connell Street Shop supposed to be the flagship store (according to their own webesite)? For that it looks quite tatty with all the closing Down Signs wrapped around the windows.

DubDani wrote: »
    I would say it is Best Menswear.

Isn't the O'Connell Street Shop supposed to be the flagship store (according to their own webesite)? For that it looks quite tatty with all the closing Down Signs wrapped around the windows.

Nope..

Looks like Land of Leather are next...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0112/breaking37.htm

They had a major recall in the UK over allergies from pigments used in leather dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Didn't they try to cover up the problems with the furniture causing those skin problems.

I think it was more not announcing a recall or something rather than a cover up but still disgusting behavior considering the effects of their error.

All for their bottom line which didn't serve much use in the end anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

brim4brim wrote: »
    Didn't they try to cover up the problems with the furniture causing those skin problems.

I think it was more not announcing a recall or something rather than a cover up but still disgusting behavior considering the effects of their error.

All for their bottom line which didn't serve much use in the end anyway.
    it did it made more monies to be syphoned off

Be patient Daniel Son... Tomorrow, we paint fence!

OK we are now well past the "deadline" who is it!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think it's Burger King

The hotline number for customer inquiries is 0800 496 0868 and the email enquiry address is lol@deloitte.co.uk.

Nice one Deloitte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Argos
    Carphone warehouse
    Centra

Here, I have an idea, let's start emailing every business in O'Connell street and ask them if they are going out of business. It will take a while but **** it!

Argos
    Carphone warehouse
    Centra

Here, I have an idea, let's start emailing every business in O'Connell street and ask them if they are going out of business. It will take a while but **** it!

None of the above, it's obvious walking past the shop in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Look, just tell us which one it is or stfu.

janeybabe wrote: »

I already said I can't, I'm not doing their dirty work! In fairness to the outlet, if I post it up here I could be infracted or banned for exposing boards.ie to litigation...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just put him on ignore......save your sanity......

I already said I can't, I'm not doing their dirty work!

Then stop ruling places out. What's going to happen when someone guesses correctly?

Exactly.

Seriously, I don't even know why you brought it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are people even going to know the name? i.e. is it a household name, or just one of these cheapass chainstores selling Oirish tat to american tourists, Carrolls I think they are called.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I already said I can't, I'm not doing their dirty work! In fairness to the outlet, if I post it up here I could be infracted or banned for exposing boards.ie to litigation...

Didn't you post a similar post a couple months ago about a bank that would be gone within a week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

:rolleyes:

Im going around to every shop in O'Connell St tomorrow with a clipboard and its going to go like this;

"Hi could I speak to the manager please?"

"Yeah do you know a Darragh and would he be around 29?"

"You do?"

"Yeah well he says you're closing down. Have a nice day!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

i dont want to instigate things here, but my friend is working in Awear.

her hours are cut, the store is the worst performing of the bunch and they are taking in 1k a day on a good one. the deliveries have been slashed and they havent bothered replacing the manger on maternity leave.

has anybody heard any rumours? i wouldnt be surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Seriously, I don't even know why you brought it up.

Because it gives him a nice feeling inside to see the thread being bumped up all the time and people guessing to a rumour that he started.

Because it gives him a nice feeling inside to see the thread being bumped up all the time and people guessing to a rumour that he started.

It's immature and pointless.

"Na na na na na I know something you don't know!"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Spoken like a true teacher ;)

i hope people arent reading mine like that, i honestly dont want to be seen to enjoy the idea of stores closing!
    im concerned about my friend!

apologies if it comes across otherwise!!

Piste wrote: »
    Spoken like a true teacher ;)

:D

It might have escaped you Darragh, but store closures mean job losses, and you coming on here saying that one of the many businesses on O' Connell Street is in trouble is dangerous and stupid. People are worried enough as it is without you posting a vague rumour like you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

i dont want to instigate things here, but my friend is working in Awear.

her hours are cut, the store is the worst performing of the bunch and they are taking in 1k a day on a good one. the deliveries have been slashed and they havent bothered replacing the manger on maternity leave.

has anybody heard any rumours? i wouldnt be surprised...

Interesting, I would have thought AWear would be ok because the prices there are reasonable but that Peter O Brien range which must have cost a fortune to make compared to their usual stuff didn't sell very well. I hope Awear stays, lots of shops wouldn't be as busy now as before Christmas so they wouldn't need as many staff.

There's no Awear on O'Connell st so that can't be Darragh's news.

sunnyside wrote: »
    Interesting, I would have thought AWear would be ok because the prices there are reasonable but that Peter O Brien range which must have cost a fortune to make compared to their usual stuff didn't sell very well. I hope Awear stays, lots of shops wouldn't be as busy now as before Christmas so they wouldn't need as many staff.

There's no Awear on O'Connell st so that can't be Darragh's news.

my friend is one her wits end, she'd probably year about it in the metro before she's officially told!

i'd imagine the likes of henry street, grafton street and dundrum remain, but she's in a smaller store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i'd imagine the likes of henry street, grafton street and dundrum remain, but she's in a smaller store.

Don't bet on it. They got nowhere when they tried to renegotiate some of the leases- and footfall even on the likes of Grafton Street is at scarey levels. The smaller stores might actually be the ones that survive- because their overheads are so much lower than some of the more prestigious locations...... Up Grafton Street direction the mantra appears to be let the lease holder go bust before you consider lowering the rental yield....... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Most peoples hours are slashed everywhere tbh. Mine are hovering around 16, they were 34ish a few weeks ago which isn't so bad since I'm just part-time but the same thing is happening to full timers. (Dunnes). A-Wear isn't safe anymore since it no longer has the protection of Brown Thomas and 1k is atrocious..it'd probably struggle to make to to Christmas 2009 at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I guessing you work for the place who is based on O'Connell St?

How else would you know a place is going out of business

swingking wrote: »
    I guessing you work for the place who is based on O'Connell St?

How else would you know a place is going out of business

No, already explained how I have this information in an earlier post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

What is this.. twenty focking questions?

"I know something you don't nah nah nah-nah nah"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No, already explained how I have this information in an earlier post...

Didn't you post a similar post a couple months ago about an Irish bank that would be gone within a week?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Didn't you post a similar post a couple months ago about an Irish bank that would be gone within a week?

Well if you want to get into an off topic discussion about that, a bank with a market valuation of under 200 Million Euro but debts of several hundred billion Euro, is a bank in a permanent vegative state, being kept alive by an artificial injection of undeserved and immoral funds. The post mortem still has to be done on Anglo by the way because time of death hasn't been called yet.

I didn't think our politicans were that corrupt that they would sell the deeds to Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore in order to put a dead beat bank on a life support machine.

BTW, in the bank case, I was offering my opinion, which is just that, an opinion. Same goes here, my friend who is a creditor of this company has stopped supplying them and reckons they will pull down the shutters this month. I happen to agree with him. He could indeed be wrong and I could indeed be wrong, hence why I can't name the business in question here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I know of another retail chain that is about to pull down the shutters, but can't mention it here as I was told by a creditor of the company that has lost a lot of money. I reckon this business has around 20-30 outlets around the country.

So you don't actually know there IS a shop about to close down. You only heard from a creditor.

swingking wrote: »
    So you don't actually know there IS a shop about to close down. You only heard from a creditor.

Creditors begin the process of closing down a business, informally first by refusing to continue supplying the company with products and services until the account is returned to order and then formally by petitioning the High Court to have the company wound up or put into liquidation if the account is not put into order, so that assets can be sold to pay off debts.

That is what is happening here at the moment, the process has been started. You won't hear about it until it gets into the High Court.

• Advertisement
Advertisement