Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Eircom League Player....

• 01-01-2009 5:32pm

and why...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ever or just now?

now.

Mines probably Kearney, class player always plays his heart out and gives 100%

As in Liam Kearney? Lol fair enough.

Probably Rutherford because he reminds me of the good ol' days and is an absolute legend.

I'd like to say Owen Heary but he plays for Bohs now so I'd feel dirty.

who'd you support?

I would have thought it was pretty obvious considering I mentioned both Rutherford and Heary. I'm a Shels man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Trevor Vaughan. Superb touch and vision. Scored several crackers last season as well.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    As in Liam Kearney? Lol fair enough.

Probably Rutherford because he reminds me of the good ol' days and is an absolute legend.

I'd like to say Owen Heary but he plays for Bohs now so I'd feel dirty.

I don't support Derry, or Cork. :rolleyes:

I don't support Derry, or Cork. :rolleyes:

When did I say you did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Anto Flood, Rutherford a close second. Two players with absolute and utter love for the club they play for. From other clubs I'd probably say Boco or Quigley.

When did I say you did?

you know what I mean :(

• Advertisement

you know what I mean :(

I don't actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Brian Murphy.
    Too good for Ireland.

I don't actually.

you said
    I would have thought it was pretty obvious considering I mentioned both Rutherford and Heary. I'm a Shels man.

I mentioned Kearney and I don't suppoirt Cork/Derry.

therefore meaning it wasn't that obviosu, but really, I should've guessed at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

From current players, in no particular order:

Dan Murray
    Captain Fantastic. He's our most successful captain, a fantastic leader, and one of the best footballers to have played in the league. He always stands up to be counted. He's our top scorer in Europe.

Joe Gamble
    The best centre-mid in the league. Top quality. Worth the entrance fee to watch him. He’s earned two full international caps while at City.

Neal Horgan
    Hoggy is a great role model - he is one of the best right backs to have ever played in the league, he has a Law degree, and next season will be his tenth at the club.

Colin T. O'Brien
    The T is for Terrific. He's Cork City's longest serving player having spent 14/15 years at the club.

Mick Devine
    He was the best keeper in the league. Great ability and very reliable.

Danny MurphyThe best left-back in the league. Great ability, and plays with passion. He's well able to get stuck in. Great guy on and off the pitch.

All of them are Cork City legends in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mark Rutherford or Owen Heary for me, both Shelbourne legends. Keith Fahey and Killian Brennan are quality players aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

From the current crop of LoI players, and based on the season we just had, I could pick pretty much any Bohs player, but I'll select a few:

Mark Rossiter: One of the most under-rated player at Bohs. A top pro and a has a lethal strike of the ball. Scored a few cracking goals, and important ones too. Plays anywhere he's asked to and doesn't whinge about it or make excuses. He puts in a good performance whatever postition he plays and is fully committed.

Liam Burns: If Rossi is one of the most under-rated players at Bohs, Burns is one of the most under-rated players in the league. Absolute quality. He's a rock at the back.

Brian Murphy: Best goalkeeper I've ever seen in the league. Should be in the Irish squad. He's international quality. (Deegan is another guy to watch for the future by the way. Great engine on him and was a massive player for us in the second half of the season. I'm sure Galway fans will agree... not sure how impressive he was in his Shelbourne days or if he ever played much with them).

From other teams in the league:

I would have named Fahey and McGinn, but alas they won't be playing in the LoI next season.

Gotta agree with the other posters who said Sparky. He's been around for ages and is still doing the business. Great player. Ah, the days of him and Bobby Ryan on the wing (remember, when he was actually good?) during Kenny's reign at Bohs. Happy times.

Rafael Cretaro from Sligo has impressed me any time I've seen him.

Eamon Zayed has IMO failed at Drogheda, but I rate him as a player still.

Alan Kirby. He's been around for ages, but I think he's got a load of skill and nearly always gives 100%.

EDIT: Pizza Hutton also deserves a mention for his contribution to the league and his loyalty to Derry. Great player.

Favourite LoI player of all time? Easy.
    Kevin Hunt. LEGEND.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

My favourite player is Joe Gamble. Brilliant player simple as.

i'd have to say Brian Murphy is a brilliant keeper as well. Deserves all the praise and an international call up.(But that's for another thread;))

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rutherford ahead of Barry Murphy

Fair amount of respect for Crowe too unfortunately. Ever would be Tony Cousins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

From Rovers I'd have to say Raff Cretaro

From other teams probably Liam Burns , Glen Crowe and would hve said Keith Fahey too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Kalonas or Murphy for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mark Rutherford or Owen Heary for me, both Shelbourne legends. Keith Fahey and Killian Brennan are quality players aswell.

Killian Brennan is a good set piece player. That's it.

My favourite player this season would be Dave McAllister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I have a bit of a softspot for Burns, although he is a bit heavy.
    Likewise Keith Foy, such a waste it is for him to be playing LSL when if he tryed he could be playing Premier League in England.

At Rovers, Danny 'Loola' Ventre. A firm fans favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

at Shels- Mark Rutherford (hope he signs another year)

Outside Shels-
    -Conor Sinnott at Wexford has always impressed me
    -Romauld Boco at Sligo
    -Keith Fahey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Brian Murphy, or for non-Bohs, Joe Gamble. He had a terrible season last year (even allowing for the problems Cork went through), but I can see him being a massive influence in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

For the biggest thread ever, rename it
    Least Favourite Eircom League Player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Owen Heary very consistent player. Keith Fahey also looked like a player with loads of potenial and great vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Quint wrote: »
    For the biggest thread ever, rename it

:D

Harpal Singh,
    Darren Mansaram,
    Glen 'Jellybelly' Crowe,
    Owen Heary,
    The list goes on..:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Denis Behan great attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Tony Grant - Great footballer, 110% effort and a really nice guy.

Dan Connor - For all thework he's done for us over the last while and all the help he's given.

Outside Drogheda

Damien Lynch, Graham Gartland, Gareth McGlynn, David Cassidy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Danny MurphyThe best left-back in the league. Great ability, and plays with passion. He's well able to get stuck in. Great guy on and off the pitch.

He was not even the best left back at City last season. He is an incredibly over rated player. Sure he plays with heart, but that should be a pre requisite. The reason he gets so "stuck in" is because he is usually making up for a mistake with a last ditch tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

gimmick wrote: »
    He was not even the best left back at City last season. He is an incredibly over rated player. Sure he plays with heart, but that should be a pre requisite. The reason he gets so "stuck in" is because he is usually making up for a mistake with a last ditch tackle.

I think Kearney playing a free role left Danny more exposed.

Advertisement