Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half Term Reports

• 01-01-2009 5:48pm

Half Term Reports

Copy the questions and fill in...

Team: Manchester United

Current Position: 4th

Where did you expect your team to currently be 1st or 2nd. I never started the season believing fully we'd win the title again at the end of the year, I'd have taken 2nd, a few points off the leaders at this point. We're not quite there, but not too far off either. I'm fairly happy with our position.

Best player so far this season: Hard one. Rooney's been excellent, as usual, Ronaldo's been brilliant, Carrick, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra. If I had to pick, I'd say Carrick.

Worst player so far this season: Gary Neville. He's not played that much but when he has, he's just shown that he no longer belongs in our first eleven.

Best game so far: 1-0 against City. Not a lot of special games to choose from, so the best of an ordinary bunch. We did well that day though and they did the double over us last season, so it was nice to assert who the real force in Manchester is to those jumped-up City fans.

Who would you like to sign in January: Kariiiiim Benzemaaaaaa

Who would you like to sell in January: Nobody really. Nobody is a complete liability and even our 'worst' players are good enough backup players.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: Who am I to comment on a man like Sir Alex?

General thoughts on your team so far: Content. We've done well without being spectacular, and had it not been for an average start and injuries to Scholes and Carrick at the same time, we'd have done better early doors imo. But it's ok, it's under control. We can win the Champions' League, Carling Cup, FA Cup and certainly aren't out of the Premiership race.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 2nd. hope 1st.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Half Term Reports

Team: Liverpool

Current Position: 1st

Where did you expect your team to currently be: Top 4 but not too far off leaders.

Best player so far this season: Alonso, (best newcomer Reira, best young player Insua)

Worst player so far this season: Andrea Dossena nuff said.

Best game so far: A few to consider - Chelsea away, Utd at home the obvious ones. The win against Chelsea looks less impressive as the season unfolds as Scolaris team is not as strong as recent seasons.

Who would you like to sign in January: A whiz-bang full back.

Who would you like to sell in January: Pennant, Dossena. Keane (joking!)

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: Solid enough, still a few quirks that annoy like late subbing but has the side in good shape.

General thoughts on your team so far: Content. We've done well without being spectacular. We can win the Champions' League, FA Cup (if Rafa is bothered) and are well placed in the PL.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 2nd. hope 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Team: Manchester City

Current Position: 13th

Where did you expect your team to currently be? 6th - 8th

Best player so far this season: Stephen Ireland, then Robinho. Honourable mentions to Vinny K and Zab.

Worst player so far this season:
    Darius Vassell and Jo.

Best game so far:
    6-0 v Portsmouth and 5-1 v Hull are up there but 3-0 v Arsenal wins it.

Who would you like to sign in January:
    Xavi

Who would you like to sell in January: Vassell, Ball, Benjani, Ben Haim and maybe one or two others.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season:
    Must do better.

General thoughts on your team so far:
    Disappointing. Crap defence has let us down and it needs to be addressed asap. Whether Hughes is the right man to take us where we know the money can remains to be seen. Luckily we've progressed in the Uefa Cup otherwise he'd have been gone by now.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season:
    8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Half Term Reports

Current Position: 3rd

Where did you expect your team to currently be 3rd-4th since we had to go to world club championship .so i expected a few points behind

Best player so far this season: hard question. probly vidic
    a rock in the back for utd ,imagine only costed 7 million :D

Worst player so far this season: Nani and neville
    at least neville has an excuse but Nani is a disgrace

Best game so far: hmmm utd havent really glowed this season tbh

Who would you like to sign in January: Ashley Young could sort out the left side for utd

Who would you like to sell in January: Nani and campbell

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: he still thinks that giggs and neville can do a job

General thoughts on your team so far:A bit disappointing
    utd havent really performed like they did last season
    but suppose they had a very hard fixture list

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 1st . hope 1st
    once liverpool dont win it, ill be happy
    rather win the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Team: Arsenal

Current Position: 5th

Where did you expect your team to currently be: Top 4, I wasn't too confident about our chances after failing to replace players that had left and then some as we needed a couple anyway!

Best player so far this season: Not many candidates, up until his injury though, it was definitely Walcott so I'll stick with him! Nasri has been good when fit too!

Worst player so far this season: Song or Adebayor.

Best game so far: 2-1 against United...my favourite team to beat :D

Who would you like to sign in January: Anybody! Alonso or Yaya would be class (never happen though so a similar player maybe), Arshavin or Arteta would be great to cover for Fabregas!

Who would you like to sell in January: I wouldn't mind if Gallas or Adebayor were sold!

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: I like Wenger and we would be fúcked without him, I just wish he would add the necessary additions to the squad as we don't have enough players.

General thoughts on your team so far: Disappointing. Never really got going, we have too many injuries and we just don't look good enough at the moment!

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 3rd is possible, but probably 4th if we're lucky and Wenger spends in January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Man Utd are 3rd.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Man Utd are 3rd.

Who cares?!?

jasonorr wrote: »
    Who cares?!?

I would have thought there fans might?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Team: Arsenal

Current Position: 5th

Where did you expect your team to currently be: 3rd.

Best player so far this season: Sagna

Worst player so far this season: Bendtner

Best game so far: The 2-1 win over United as most of my amtes support United. Cleski game is up there though.

Who would you like to sign in January: Miguel Veloso, Xabi Alonso, Yaya Toure, Alberto Aquialini, Matheu Flamini

Who would you like to sell in January: Bendtner out on loan please. Silvestre.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: Same as usualy, we have the capabilities but his refusal to buy experienced players has seriously let us down in the DM position.

General thoughts on your team so far: Lacklustre.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: If we get a decent DM 4th.
    If not 5th.

I would have thought there fans might?

That's not the point, why do you care that someone made a mistake saying that they were 4th...it doesn't matter!

jasonorr wrote: »
    That's not the point, why do you care that someone made a mistake saying that they were 4th...it doesn't matter!

Are you serious? Its a tad bit stupid to make a half-term report on the club you support's progress, and then get the one most vital piece of information (league position) wrong.

• Advertisement

Well done you two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Team: Aston Villa

Where did you expect your team to currently be 7th-8th

Best player so far this season: Stiliyan Petrov. Completely unrecognisable from the player of previous seasons to the extent id rather be without Laursen than Petrov.

Worst player so far this season: Nicky Shorey probably, more coz he just hasnt settled in yet than anything else

Best game so far: 3-2 win at Everton. What a finish

Who would you like to sign in January: Micky Owen, Stephen Ireland, Brede Haagalend

Who would you like to sell in January: Zat Knight & Marlon Harewood.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: Answered any concern I had about him, and then some

General thoughts on your team so far: We're winning while playing rubbish. I cant remember the last time a Villa team could do that. Obviously concerned that we're playing rubbish most of the time, but the proof is there that we can play a bit of football. I think we're just waiting for everything to click. While everyone else seems to think we're underachieving, I think Villa fans actually realise we're not playing to out full potential at all yet. Thats a terrifying proposition considering we're picking up just under 2 points a game, which will traditionally have you in the title race til April

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: would be nice to nick 3rd and automatic CL group stage qualification, but id take 5th up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Half Term Reports

Team: Norwich City Fc

Current Position: 20th or 40th

Where did you expect your team to currently be Somewhere not as near to the relegation zone.

Best player so far this season: Lee Croft. That's when the Rodent can be bothered to play him.

Worst player so far this season: Take your pick.

Best game so far: 2-0 against the inbreds. Oh what a game.

Who would you like to sign in January: Leroy Lita and Darren Huckerby to come back.

Who would you like to sell in January: Can't really afford to lose any more players since we have a load in on loan.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season:SACK THE RODENT

General thoughts on your team so far: Shíte

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: Who knows??? As long as it's above Ipswich I don't care.

Are you serious? Its a tad bit stupid to make a half-term report on the club you support's progress, and then get the one most vital piece of information (league position) wrong.

Happy New Year Ebenezer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Team: Watford

Current Position: 19th

Where did you expect your team to currently be? 12th-16th

Best player so far this season: Tommy Smith. JJ O'Toolr

Worst player so far this season:
    Lloyd Doyley

Best game so far:
    1nil win against West Ham
    Who would you like to sign in January:
    A Championship quality CB
    Who would you like to sell in January: No one, squads too small as it is.
    Thoughts on your manager so far this season:
    Encouraging start

General thoughts on your team so far:
    Poor start to the season. Aidy could of been given more time. Looking bright now with Rodgers signing Hoyte on loan. He likes to play football. Can only get better.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season:
    14th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Best player so far this season: Hard one. Rooney's been excellent, as usual, Ronaldo's been brilliant, Carrick, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra. If I had to pick, I'd say Carrick.

You know April fools is April 1st not January 1st right ?

ha, I don't care about how much effort he puts in... he scores. Even if he's arrogant and seems like, oh I had to do it again, he still consistently does the business.

ha, I don't care about how much effort he puts in... he scores. Even if he's arrogant and seems like, oh I had to do it again, he still consistently does the business.

I think he's taking issue with this point to be honest! He hasn't been consistent at all this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Where did you expect your team to currently be? 5th / 6th

Best player so far this season: Petrov or Friedal

Worst player so far this season: Barry hasnt been on form, maybe its the change in system.

Best game so far: Against Arsenal at the Emirates when we won 2-0:p

Who would you like to sign in January: Darren Bent , Julian Lescott, and a creative midfielder

Who would you like to sell in January: Harewood, Routledge, Salifou

Thoughts on your manager so far this season He seems to be justifying the amount spent in the summer. Id prefer if he used the subs more as i fear a burnout.

General thoughts on your team so far: Friedal was shaky at the start of the season, he's improved greatly since. Petrov has been the unsung hero. Id like to see Luke Young play RB, Cuellar at CB before i can really judge them as players. Barry hasnt been the same player he was last season. Sidwell goes missing in alot of games, he needs to get involved more. Milner works hard tracking back, his attacking play needs to improve to justify his price tag. Ashley Young and Gabby have kicked on from last year and been great.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 4th, 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Half Term Reports

Where did you expect your team to currently be Within touching distance of the leaders and they are. We always perform better in the second half of the season as well everyone knows so if I was Chelsea, Liverpool I would be worried.

Best player so far this season: None stand out but young Rafa is one for the future.

Worst player so far this season: Bit contoversial but I am going to go with Berbatov. Expected so much more from him but lets wait and see if he improves in the second half of the season and silences his critics but he has to change his game to do this.

Best game so far: I would have to go with the Arsenal game at the Emirates. We lost but it was an enjoyable and top quality game.

Who would you like to sign in January: Messi but dont aint going to happen. I would settle for David Villa.

Who would you like to sell in January: At the moment Berbatov but only if we could get David Villa.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: His usual self.

General thoughts on your team so far: Performing as expected. Within touching distance of leaders and into the last 16 of the champions league.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 1st and Champions league Winners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

redout wrote: »

Half Term Reports

Where did you expect your team to currently be Within touching distance of the leaders and they are. We always perform better in the second half of the season as well everyone knows so if I was Chelsea, Liverpool I would be worried.

Best player so far this season: None stand out but young Rafa is one for the future.

Worst player so far this season: Bit contoversial but I am going to go with Berbatov. Expected so much more from him but lets wait and see if he improves in the second half of the season and silences his critics but he has to change his game to do this.

Best game so far: I would have to go with the Arsenal game at the Emirates. We lost but it was an enjoyable and top quality game.

Who would you like to sign in January: Messi but dont aint going to happen. I would settle for David Villa.

Who would you like to sell in January: At the moment Berbatov but only if we could get David Villa.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: His usual self.

General thoughts on your team so far: Performing as expected. Within touching distance of leaders and into the last 16 of the champions league.

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 1st and Champions league Winners

Really? I would have thought by their own high standards United have been poor this season. Similar to Chelsea in that they've been so good in the recent past that anything below excellent seems a lot worse than it would otherwise. I personally haven't been impressed with United at all this season, I still think they'll win the league but if I was to give them a grade for this first half of this season it'd be a C+ (as i said in relation to the expectations i would have for them).

Liverpools downfall was due to the fact they didn't see what was happening in front of them, the above is the kind thing that would have been posted by me in 1990 had this place existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Half Term Reports

Team: Liverpool

Current Position: 1st

Where did you expect your team to currently be: I thought we'd be in 3rd or 4th so delighted so far.

Best player so far this season: Alonso has been immense.

Worst player so far this season: I've been very dissapointed with Babel this season. I thought he'd be a big player for us. Obv Dossena has been poor but he's still settling so deserves some leeway...

Best game so far: Newcastle away. As good a performance as you can get imo.

Who would you like to sign in January: Ashley Young but that aint happening. I'd love Micah Richards. But only as a right back.

Who would you like to sell in January: Pennant, get out of the club ya tool... :)

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: In RAFA we trust! Top of the table n Jan, can't ask more really.

General thoughts on your team so far: above expectations by some distance. We haven't always played amazing but we're doing great!

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: 2nd and a cup, although i'm still crossing the fingers... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Helix wrote: »

Where did you expect your team to currently be 7th-8th

Best player so far this season: Stiliyan Petrov. Completely unrecognisable from the player of previous seasons to the extent id rather be without Laursen than Petrov.

Worst player so far this season: Nicky Shorey probably, more coz he just hasnt settled in yet than anything else

Best game so far: 3-2 win at Everton. What a finish

Who would you like to sign in January: Micky Owen, Stephen Ireland, Brede Haagalend

Who would you like to sell in January: Zat Knight & Marlon Harewood.

Thoughts on your manager so far this season: Answered any concern I had about him, and then some

General thoughts on your team so far: We're winning while playing rubbish. I cant remember the last time a Villa team could do that. Obviously concerned that we're playing rubbish most of the time, but the proof is there that we can play a bit of football. I think we're just waiting for everything to click. While everyone else seems to think we're underachieving, I think Villa fans actually realise we're not playing to out full potential at all yet. Thats a terrifying proposition considering we're picking up just under 2 points a game, which will traditionally have you in the title race til April

Where do you think you’ll finish from this point to the end of the season: would be nice to nick 3rd and automatic CL group stage qualification, but id take 5th up

simce when does 3rd gaurantee this??

and would u yake 5th right now?? really?? cos i dont think MON or anybody linked with villa would. in fact wenger would jump at the chance to let ye settle for 5th..you crazy

mormank wrote: »

and would u yake 5th right now?? really?? cos i dont think MON or anybody linked with villa would. in fact wenger would jump at the chance to let ye settle for 5th..you crazy

Ah yeah, but a fan being willing to take 5th, and anyone with a stake in ensuring where we do get, being willing to take anything other than 1st, are completely different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mormank wrote: »

since the revamped qualifying procedures. 1-3 gets automatic, 4th qualifies

and yes, i would take 5th because despite it all, we're only 3 points ahead of arsenal, and theres every chance we'll go on a 3-4 game run without winning to let them back in

i think the most important thing isnt where we finish, but how well we acquit ourselves. i thought we'd finish 8th at the start of the season, fortunately we're now looking like doing far better than that, but its been a very strange season this year. id be disappointed with 5th obviously but id still take it gladly if thats where we finish

a 5 point improvement on last season is all i ask for, i dont care where that leaves us in the final table if we get it

Advertisement