Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband availability Bray area???

• 01-01-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I have just moved into a new place on Killarney Road in Bray and I was told when I was ordering up my Cable TV that the broadband would be available in about 4-6 weeks, and ddefinetly before Christmas. This was back in September. I have been on to UPC many times and they haven't got a clue when it will be up and running, all they say is that "we are constantly upgrading our lines". The fact that they said it to me as I was ordering me TV that it would be available shortly has really bugged me. Does anyone have any idea how to find out what areas they are currently upgrading or can anyone report back and let me know roughly where they live if they have UPC broadband if they live in around Bray.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

i was told the same thing for the last two years, nothing but lies from them, they keep saying it it should be available in september but no luck. In a area where you can only get a one mb line which these days is crap. have you have any luck with them since

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Looks like they're upgrading Shankill soon as they're digging into the town at the moment with a new duct. Bray is next on the line after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Dr.TV wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I have just moved into a new place on Killarney Road in Bray and I was told when I was ordering up my Cable TV that the broadband would be available in about 4-6 weeks, and ddefinetly before Christmas. This was back in September. I have been on to UPC many times and they haven't got a clue when it will be up and running, all they say is that "we are constantly upgrading our lines". The fact that they said it to me as I was ordering me TV that it would be available shortly has really bugged me. Does anyone have any idea how to find out what areas they are currently upgrading or can anyone report back and let me know roughly where they live if they have UPC broadband if they live in around Bray.
    Cheers

OP have you signed into a contract with upc? or are you just waiting for the actual product?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ronoc88

Lies Lies its all Lies.....
    UPC's infrastructure feeding south Bray is fed from the Main St.
    The cable on the main st is in a duct owned by eircom, this dates back to P&T times where both tv and phone cables were in the same duct. Eircom will not let them use this duct for upgrade works.
    In short: in order for UPC to upgrade their system they would have to dig up the whole main st.
    The wont have broadband here for quite a while I reckon.

Their customer service is atrocious, so much so that I have had their digital tv service removed and sky installed in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dr.TV

Well, I have been on to them a couple of weeks ago and they said again, it'll be the end of the year/start of next year before it will be installed. Then yesterday I got on to them and they said that there is nothing planned in the next 3 months. They are just full of crap!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Try getting in touch with one of their local agents (maybe number in local paper)
    Thats how I got my BB in the midlands, he took all my details and they called around later that week to install it.
    He said dont bother with ringing up or online, (i know he wont make commission that way, but just another avenue that you might get information from)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So they have been lying to you consistently since september 2008 drtv, I admire consistency :)

Their own published map says nothing is coming in 2009. Once you know for sure they are digging it takes about another 6 months to go live.

ntl09.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

ronoc88 wrote: »
    Lies Lies its all Lies.....
    UPC's infrastructure feeding south Bray is fed from the Main St.
    The cable on the main st is in a duct owned by eircom, this dates back to P&T times where both tv and phone cables were in the same duct. Eircom will not let them use this duct for upgrade works.
    In short: in order for UPC to upgrade their system they would have to dig up the whole main st.
    The wont have broadband here for quite a while I reckon.

Their customer service is atrocious, so much so that I have had their digital tv service removed and sky installed in its place.

Not much use if ye want broadband. I have been waiting for years in Bray for UPC broadband as my Eircom line can only provide 2 MB/s. The services for the Bray area are atrocious and we may as well be on the feckin moon. :mad:

BTW I live just of the Boghall Road area and Digiweb could not even advise me of what speed I would get from them. They said my address was not on their maps WTF!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dr.TV

Thanks for the reply Antrim_Man. I am living in and around the Saran Wood area and I'm with BT/Vodafone and on a 3mb line. Usually get those speeds too. Only got it last month as I just couldn't wait anymore. I hope to expect that it will be here within the next year from NTL but I'm not holding my breath

• Advertisement

Dr.TV wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Antrim_Man. I am living in and around the Saran Wood area and I'm with BT/Vodafone and on a 3mb line. Usually get those speeds too. Only got it last month as I just couldn't wait anymore. I hope to expect that it will be here within the next year from NTL but I'm not holding my breath

They use Eircoms cables do they not or are you wireless. My phone line is of such bad quality from the exchange that they cannot increase the speed to 3 MB/s as it keeps dropping off :mad:

If enough people from South Bray register with www.imagine.ie we might finally get a decent broadband service for this area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bray is not on the NTL upgrade map in 2010 neither but Mullingar is and Tullamore possibly is.

map_dublin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cbr954

UPC are digging their way from Shankill to Bray, they are nearly at the Wilford roundabout. Hopefully, in a few months, I can pay upc €65 a month for 100mb instead of Eircom for 5+!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

Oh be still my heart!

I just fired off Yet Another Support Complaint to eircom. For several days I have been getting 0.7 Mbps on a NGB 8Mbps line.

I will invite the nice UPC man in for tea and cake when they come door to door.

I suppose it's too much to hope for that all of Bray is a single loop or whatever the UPC cable terminology is? And that once the North end of the town is hooked up to the fibre goodness and us country cousins down the South end of the town would get our fast bband too?

or do we need to wait for them to dig up the whole way through the town?

To be honest, if UPC give us a shout, I am sure I could organise for some people to start unofficially digging up the road from down this end to meet them in the middle, such is the pent up demand for decent bband in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Here's an updated map: http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png

It does indeed show that UPC intend to upgrade the entirety of Bray already served by cable, though I suspect it will only be switched on at the end of this year at best. An awful lot of work yet to do, so it sounds.

Yes indeed, I have that link memorized and I gaze longingly at it from time to time.

I think I will print out a copy and take to colouring in the furthest reach of the UPC dig. Like a map of the front in WWI.

I phoned upc a couple of weeks ago and was told that broadband would be september / october. 10mb upload speed!! I can't wait :)

@cbr954

c'mere, not that I am doubting you or anything, but I happened to find myself driving from shankill to bray there the other evening, along the normal route which goes past the cemetry and woodbrook golf club and such.

No evidence what-so-ever of any digging going on there along that road either now or in the recent past.

Are they going cross country :)

?

liamf wrote: »
    @cbr954

c'mere, not that I am doubting you or anything, but I happened to find myself driving from shankill to bray there the other evening, along the normal route which goes past the cemetry and woodbrook golf club and such.

No evidence what-so-ever of any digging going on there along that road either now or in the recent past.

Are they going cross country :)

?

Lol !!!! I drive that road every day.. upc signs, trench being dug.. on the date I posted. I didn't pass through the twilight zone on the way :) I phoned upc and they said I should have broadband by September / October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Yeah I saw upc signs when I was passing through bray today :)

Well I guess they must be finished, so ...

Or else I was in the twilight zone myself.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kathor

Hi,

They just finished laying the cables on the houses in woodbrook glen. All houses have new cables underneath the roofs as well as new sockets. all houses connected by old sockets still tho. They were digging all week here as well. UPC signs fibre coming soon all the way from Shankill/Bray roundabout.

Pls God let them finish ASAP as I can stand my Vodafone (should be) 8Mb

My wife was talking to a scouting party for UPC in our estate today (off Southern Cross, south end of Bray). They had lifted manholes and were poking about. Given that the Queen is unlikely to make it this far, she reckoned it wasn't Special Branch.

Guys said they were the advance party, checking out the conduits and ducting around the area to make sure they are clear and undamaged.

They report back any issues found, then Phase #2 is a team come around and fixes those up.

They finally the wiring dudes come around to finish off.

They said it might be 6 months before they got this far. But they're a comin :-)

Not, of course, that I ever doubted it. Not for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

They said it might be 6 months before they got this far. But they're a comin :-)

6 months in UPC time could actually be anything:)

6 months in UPC time could actually be anything

lalalalalalalalalalalala

Go away out of that I'm not listening. I'm in my happy place waiting for the good broadband to show up.

lalalalalalalalalalala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bealtine wrote: »
    6 months in UPC time could actually be anything:)
    I'm rather convinced by such times if it's coming from the men whose work schedule and where they work is dependent on such timeframes being accurate. They're hardly call centre staff who got lost on their way to Limerick:D

Precedence with time from examination of an area to coax build would also suggest that's quite an accurate timeframe. Or the time it takes from UPC to move through an area etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the fact that their twitter team is saying august/september to me and the call centre saying september and the fact people have seen signs around saying it's coming and people having talked to engineers makes me believe that we'll see it this year in bray. now you may say oh their twitter team and call centre are just singing off same hymn sheet, that's a huge slight closer than ever before. used to ring up and be told it's available anytime from 6 weeks away to it's never going to happen.

thank christ. have been waiting easily 13 years for ntl/upc broadband in bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,617 ✭✭✭✭ted1

got a letter in the office door on dargle road yesterday saying their upgrading the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

lalalalalalalalalalalala

Go away out of that I'm not listening. I'm in my happy place waiting for the good broadband to show up.

lalalalalalalalalalala
    I'm just waiting for the day that you come back here and say that now you can't get UPC broadband because a neighbour will not allow UPC put the cable across their premises :D

Advertisement