Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband availability Bray area???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

I'm just waiting for the day that you come back here and say that now you can't get UPC broadband because a neighbour will not allow UPC put the cable across their premises

lalalalalalalLALALALALALALALALlalalalaa

still not listening. still in happy place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

we had a lady from UPC call to our house last tues, we live just off boghall rd, she asked us to sign a piece of paper to allow a workman in around our garden to check the state of the cabling & exactly where it goes. When asked she said it would be at least 2/3 wks b4 the workmen would b around to check it all, we agreed on the understanding that we'd get a call on the mobiles 30mins b4 they arrived on site (giving us enough time to get back if we were out). Not exactly sure why they're checking the cables, something about if they can put another cable along-side the existing one?

guess what! the guy rang me within 2 days! unfortunately we were in Howth at a confirmation & couldn't make it back so they'll obviously have to make it anohter day, but it's looking hopefull anyhow... :D:D

jasper

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

Hi All
    Just been reading your posts. I usually just go straight to the soccer forum but i have a bit of good news for u all.
    My uncle lives in fairgreen terace just off castle street and the guys from UPC called about a month ago and had a chat to him. They are going to be using his house and front garden for upgrade works starting on the 1st of June. He signed a contract and got free digital tv for as long as he lives in the house for the inconvenience. Just though you all would like to know. So for all you non believers just drive down on the 1st and have a look.

the guy from upc rang us today & he's calling down to us tomorrow afternoon, so maybe we'll know a little more then 'cos he's not leaving without giving us some more up-2-date info :D:D:D...
    i'll post back tomorrow with an update.
    Jasper

& then they went away again.... :mad:
    the foreman said that they were looking to see what kinda shape the existing duct & cables were in & if they could 'thread' another (fibre) cable in the same route, but it's not looking good 'cos after 30-40mins they couldn't trace where the cables went when it disappeared over the wall into next door's place... so he said they'd have to find an alternative route. Then said they'd be in touch again shortly, whenever that'll be god only knows...
    Jasper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Had a couple of lads doing a bit of work on the lines in Palermo. (Well they replaced all the existing ones) Looking forward to the high speed BB in September. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

september can't come quick enough here. it's an absolute pain downloading iOS updates (c. 600megs) on a 3 meg line.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cbr954

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? is it here yet?
    :)

cbr954 wrote: »
    Is it here yet? Is it here yet? is it here yet?
    :)
    damn you, i check the thread daily to see if any updates are posted. i light up with glee when i see the reply number +1'd. :pac:

Anyone have any more insider info/cable guy tales on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

Spoke to UPC today allegedly 29th september is the release date.
    I did as if it was 29th september 2011 and the girl said yes (thought I was barking I'm sure)

Strange I done the same.

Person asked me were there any UPC/ntl/cablelink boxes in the house which I said no to and he told me the date of 31/10/2011.

Either way looks like its definitely this year which is a huge plus considering its UPC/ntl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

UPC are the worst service provider & customer service in the history of TV and customer service.

Stay well clear of them.

Their internet can be cheap & works ok, but if it starts to drops out, get ready for a world of pain.

For TV Sky is light years ahead and better.

The fact the Ireland has only 2 TV providers is shocking.

UPC are cheap & nasty.

Ah, but I don't care *at all* about UPCs TV service and I most definitely will not be taking that from them.

Nor their phone service for that matter.

Just the broadband m'am, just the broadband.

i think it would be worth taking everything from them

here's what i'm paying currently

40 to vodafone for crappy 8mbit that is more like 3mbit.
    85 to sky for hd + sports and second box.
    25 for eircom for line rental.

that's a whopping 150 a month.

i can get all the above plus 97mbit more internet for 133 on upc. yes please.

Well, yessss

I currently pay eircom ~50 per month for broadband that never exceeds 2Mbps + line rental.

I pay eircom €0 for calls since everything is via blueface or betamax/VoIP.

And I pay €0 for TV since I have long ago come to the conclusion that freesat + saorview is perfectly sufficient for me, as I am a geek par excellence and have the whole MythTV PVR backend/XBMC frontend/smart home nonsense going on. Works for me.

So in my case, which I accept is non-typical: just the broadband ma'am, just the broadband :-)

UPC's TV set-top boxes are a byword in the industry (in which I am professionally involved) for utter crappyness. Sky is much, much better in terms of usability and stability. So although on a strict price comparison basis, UPC might look like a better deal, for your sanity I would advice you go play seriously with one in someone's house before you make that particular decision.

i'll admit that i don't watch much tv bar sky sports, everything else is streamed from my pc, so as long as i can get sky sports and eurosport (for cycling) then i'll be happy to ditch sky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

liamf wrote: »
    lalalalalalalLALALALALALALALALlalalalaa

still not listening. still in happy place.

it does look like you'll be getting that broadband soon http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/
    Newly Added Areas
    VESSEY
    FORTUNESTOWN
    MONKSTOWN
    OLD CONNAUGHT
    DARGLE

DALKEY
    CARPENTERSTOWN
    MEATH STREET
    THE COOMBE
    MARROWBONE LANE
    WINDY ARBOUR
    DONNYBROOK

Soon to be Added

BRAY TOWN
    OLD COURT
    VEVAY ROAD

LOMBARD STREET WEST
    CAMDEN STREET
    MOUNT STREET UPPER
    MALBOROUGH STREET
    CHATHAM STREET
    CHAPELIZOD
    CAPTAINS ROAD

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

When it comes to Bray-will they cover all of it? Is that the way it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MrMickeyMouse

I live in the Woodbrook Glen area of Bray and now have 25MB UPC broadband installed and it's working just fine!

Speed tests over past 2 days reveal average speed of 21MB download and 2.5MB upload, UPC landline phone works nicely too.

Only issues to resolve are the €60 bundle offer for Digital+ TV, landline and 25MB broadband is not available to existing TV subscribers.

But..as with all companies a few choice words in the right ears might see us getting the bundle for €60 per month and not the higher charge of €68 for existing UPC customers.

Never had Eircom, never will now!

1418559793.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

We got our new cabling on Adelaide Road (Lawn Bowls road) last week. I'd well believe the September timeframe for it going live. Bye Bye Eircon !! :D

hmm wonder when the putland road will be available they keep telling me 31st of october :(

they've absolutely butchered the main street/castle street.

hmm wonder when the putland road will be available they keep telling me 31st of october :(

they've absolutely butchered the main street/castle street.

Back in the early 90's in the UK, the cable companies killed 100's of roadside trees as they merrily dug all the pavements up and went through tree roots etc.

I wonder how long it will be before Eircom come along and lay their own conduits and it all starts again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tankutis

Ive got today UPC package in bray woodbrook glen got it connected but cant get any internet :(

Back in the early 90's in the UK, the cable companies killed 100's of roadside trees as they merrily dug all the pavements up and went through tree roots etc.

I wonder how long it will be before Eircom come along and lay their own conduits and it all starts again!

ahh but i don't care about trees they won't damage my carbon fibre bike like the shoddy tarmac job that the upc contractors left behind :pac:

small price to pay for speed i guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

In Ireland your not allowed machine dig near trees, hand dig only so no killing off the trees. Eircom already have multiple ducts in the ground in most location.

ahh but i don't care about trees they won't damage my carbon fibre bike like the shoddy tarmac job that the upc contractors left behind :pac:

small price to pay for speed i guess :)
    That's only a temp reinstatement job. The only people allow leave things like that are the council themselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 seamuslawless

I contacted UPC yesterday on Twitter about broadband availability in the Vevay and they replied....

"Estimated release date for broadband in the Seacrest area is end of October, but bear in mind this is an estimate :)"

DingDong wrote: »
    In Ireland your not allowed machine dig near trees, hand dig only so no killing off the trees. Eircom already have multiple ducts in the ground in most location.

That's only a temp reinstatement job. The only people allow leave things like that are the council themselves :D

Ah, good news then, as much as leaves in the gutter are annoying, living in a concrete tree-less jungle is worse!

Well nearly a full week in and so far only 1 outage mid week, guess you have to splice the network cable at some time!!!

1429505730.png

I contacted UPC yesterday on Twitter about broadband availability in the Vevay and they replied....

"Estimated release date for broadband in the Seacrest area is end of October, but bear in mind this is an estimate :)"

When we first called UPC about the Woodbrook Glen area, back in April the estimated date given was July, so 5th August wasn't far off the mark.

Fingers crossed for you that Oct is a conservative estimate and Sept would be more realistic.

• Advertisement

still digging up the main street so vevay may be while off yet :(

Advertisement