Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband availability Bray area???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

how are you connecting to the router? wireless or wired? if wireless try wired :)

Oh I have a huge multitude of networked toys, behind a second DD-WRT router in a DMZ and so forth.

Speedtest checks done wired: I only have 802.11g networking so my wireless isn't fast enough to stretch the UPC WAN link.

Must check again now that everyone locally should have got over the initial euphoria and stopped torrenting to beat hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

There was a cable cut in Pres grounds last week that may have impacted on speeds in the area (it cut me off altogether).

This was resolved on Saturday evening so maybe it could be related?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dr.TV

liamf wrote: »
    stopped torrenting to beat hell.

Might take a bit longer I would think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ysey

Hey ya folks, was just wondering if anyone got the leaflet with this Paul person's number printed on it? Living at The Headlands and trying to convince the family to switch but yeah with the kids channel package they have it might be a bit hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Cables laid today. Ask the lad doing the work how long it would be before it goes live. He said 5-6 weeks WTF!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 halite

5-6 weeks if your lucky. Cable was laid in my road at the start of December and still not live yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Box is meant to be going up on my wall, all the estates around me have it already. Literally over the wall in front of my house in my mates have it. Haven't seen them now for about 8 weeks. Just a coil of wire coming from my roof, no sign of a box. :rolleyes:

Oh I have a huge multitude of networked toys, behind a second DD-WRT router in a DMZ and so forth.

Speedtest checks done wired: I only have 802.11g networking so my wireless isn't fast enough to stretch the UPC WAN link.

Must check again now that everyone locally should have got over the initial euphoria and stopped torrenting to beat hell.

Oh, my.

I had some time on my hands and did some investigation.
    The problem isn't UPC : I get 50/5 consistently there.

The problem is that my venerable WRT54G home router running DD-WRT (which all my home network is behind, just using the UPC router as a modem and to provide a "guest" WiFi network) is *too slow* to pull down 50 Mbps of network bandwidth.

Guess I need to update my router :-)

Granted, it's still the honeymoon period. But I am one happy UPC customer at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

The problem is that my venerable WRT54G is *too slow*

I am in bray and have a similar wireless router. I use tomato firmware. Most of these routers claim things like 54Mb but usually struggle above 5Mb real throughput.

Off topic but ideally you need to check to see if your laptop etc can do 802.11a at 5Ghz. Most laptops and wifi access points don't do 5Ghz but if you get compatable gear you can get 100Mbps real world throughput, with less interference from neigthbours. There is units available with DD-WRT etc, just check the best recommended gear or PM me. As I said it's only the more expensive routers and laptops come with 5Ghz built in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maciej1971

Still no UPC broadband in Waltrim Grove/ Saran Wood area :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

the upc guys were digging their way up the boghall rd (started at the dell end) & have got up past wheatfields, they were also digging part of our road (a turning off the boghall rd) b4 christmas but haven't been seen since so half our road is 'done' & half isn't... :-(

has anyone else from around there got any news??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

UPC Twitter said that there is a timeline for Southern Cross Business Park [just of Boghall Road @ Ballywaltrim] should have broadband by March [estimated, of course].

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Cables laid today. Ask the lad doing the work how long it would be before it goes live. He said 5-6 weeks WTF!!!! :mad:

Well almost a month and nothing has changed :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no word here on putland road either, although they are butchering the road here for water meters at the moment, kns should be there sticking cables in as well but alas not so.

Letter from UPC this morning saying that due to the new network improvements I will have to re-tune my TV for E4 Discovery etc.. Did others get this before the new cable went live??

I am not sure about the letter, but yes, one difference between the old system and the new system is that if you are watching the normal analogue stations (17 in total) you will notice Discovery dissapear.

If you have a grey or black digital box then you will not notice.

You can get it back by re-scanning the channels on the TV. This indicates you are on the new system and that you can probably now get internet too.

I connected up my brothers in Richmond Park in Bray over the weekend. 20Mb down, speed tested at 20Mb. It also includes a phone service which I have not tested.

I did noticed that on the wall outlets there are two connections (presumably for TV& internet and the other for Radio/HIFI only) but that neither is labelled. That's a bit silly. The installation technician did put a terminator on the radio connection so it's difficult to connect to it by accident.

Overall seems good so far.

Got same letter today.

194436.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

zg3409 wrote: »
    I did noticed that on the wall outlets there are two connections (presumably for TV& internet and the other for Radio/HIFI only) but that neither is labelled. That's a bit silly. The installation technician did put a terminator on the radio connection so it's difficult to connect to it by accident.

Overall seems good so far.

They replaced the wall outlets in my place & put a terminator on the Radio socket in the spare room where the router is. I asked him to remove it as I usually connect it to my stereo & he said the router wouldn't sync to their network if the radio was connected!

He was out the door less than a minute & I connected a splitter to the TV/Internet connection: 1 cable to stereo & 1 to the router & it's working fine.

Thats me connected up and all ordered. I phoned their customer loyalty department but they offered feck all different than whats on the website. Ah well, still delighted to dump Eircom.

Is it ironic that at the bottom of this page for me right now there is an ad for UPC for 3X faster broadband?? :mad:

• Advertisement

oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, ... I JUST CHECKED, ITS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN WALTRIM GROVE!!!! HALLELUJAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cbr954

3 years after you started this thread! It was a long, long, wait!!

"oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, ... I JUST CHECKED, ITS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN WALTRIM GROVE!!!! HALLELUJAH!"

Dr.TV wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I have just moved into a new place on Killarney Road in Bray and I was told when I was ordering up my Cable TV that the broadband would be available in about 4-6 weeks, and ddefinetly before Christmas. This was back in September. I have been on to UPC many times and they haven't got a clue when it will be up and running, all they say is that "we are constantly upgrading our lines". The fact that they said it to me as I was ordering me TV that it would be available shortly has really bugged me. Does anyone have any idea how to find out what areas they are currently upgrading or can anyone report back and let me know roughly where they live if they have UPC broadband if they live in around Bray.
    Cheers

cbr954 wrote: »

"oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, ... I JUST CHECKED, ITS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN WALTRIM GROVE!!!! HALLELUJAH!"

Yes, take a deep breath there. You don't want to do yourself a mischief before the nice UPC Installer Man shows up.

And, actually, it really is just as good as you think it's going to be.

I get 20x the broadband speed that I used to get on eircom, for less money.
    What's not to like?

cbr954 wrote: »

It's been a long 4-6 weeks!

Modem delivered tomorrow afternoon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hate you all :pac: but i guess with sopa signed in they'll have stricter laws by the time upc get up off their ring and connect me.

Does anyone know what the nice upc man offers when they call to your door. Or am I better off just ordering it from the Internet and get it ASAP

Dr.TV wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the nice upc man offers when they call to your door. Or am I better off just ordering it from the Internet and get it ASAP

Do not order online as you will pay connection fees. The guy called the next day I had the cable plugged in but I had already ordered via customer loyalty department with no connection fees. Sales guy at door also has no connection fee. I have the modem in but cannot get internet access, I keep getting a UPC page that is being redirected to :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So we just switched to UPC from eircom. Stuff arrived today. Killarney Rd.

Have all the TVs setup, but the 'online' light on the modem keeps flashing (US / DS fine)? I'm picking up the UPC wireless, but it just won't finish connecting. Anyone else had this problem? Just going to leave it until the morning, me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 krusty_10

I had similar issue when got the modem. I was one of first in my estate to sign up and get modem. It arrived on a friday afternoon and nothing worked until the tuesday. I had a call logged for an engineer to come out later that week, however on the tuesday after seeing the KN guys on the estate, I turned the modem on and off again ( which I had been doing over that weekend ) and all was fine, so something for the estate wasn't fully connected. Can't recommend the service highly enough. Brill speed @20MB. Only had one funny with the modem last week ( I have it since January ) where the wireless was dropping ( not the ethernet cable though ). The 'turn it off and on again' fixed it though.

Advertisement