Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Gloss Wardrobe Doors

Options
  • 01-01-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how they get the paint on those High Gloss Wardrobe Doors so perfect?

I want to make a few units for the bedroom - high gloss black

I know the doors are only MDF - but are the paints Enamel or 2-Pack Urethane?

Are they're any special methods involved?

Ive tried Acrylic paint - but could never get the same kind of depth

the place I worked before only made more classical oak and pine faced shaker style kitchen doors - so Ive always been curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Surely its nothing that a few coats of laquer couldnt sort? Applied by spray of course. It'd give you a glassy effect, ie a black base with a couple of layers of laquer over it, as opposed to just a gloss black. The black base would want to be spray applied also.

I dont know, just a thought :o

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

most high gloss doors are mdf covered in high gloss laminate so no paint is used.i have done it with paint before but its a long process,using 2 primers and about 4 or 5 coats of high build ac paint,all sprayed on(i think it was about 80% sheen).to get the proper high gloss finish,the mirror finish,we used a burnishing cream and a buffering machine with a soft pad like what they do with cars to really bring up the shine/mirror finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can buy panels of that high gloss from the Panelling centre, they are not cheap in the larger sizes though!
    I have the cream in my kitchen, and the finish is from a plastic film that is shrunk on to the MDF not paint.

Advertisement