Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to move to NZ for permenent work asap, visa issues?

Options
  • 01-01-2009 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hey folks,

I'm looking to make as quick as possible of an exit to NZ, after failing to find work after finishing a renewable energy engineering masters in October. After trying and failing to find work in the UK or Europe, and getting sick of waiting for info on US WHV, I think I've decided to bite the bullet and make for NZ. It's somewhere I've always wanted to head, but just didn't want to go now as I'm flat broke and have a nice bit of a student loan debt hanging over me.

Unfortunately this means I'd have to set up in one location and work my @ss off in NZ for a while. The problem with this is that the 12 WHV which is simple to get seems to curtail you a bit, in that only 3 month contracts are allowed and all have to be with separate companies. I'm wondering does anyone have any advice on the long term skilled immigrant visa, which as a civil/renewable energy engineer I think I'd qualify for.

Basically I'm wondering if I landed over in NZ on a 12 month WHV and went around to engineering companies on spec, would it be possible for them to take me on for 3 month contract and then try and start on applying for the long term visa while I'm actually in the country? I kinda want to get outta Ireland as soon as possible, so would prefer not to have to be contacting potential employers from over here, or maybe thats a bad idea?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

Hi There,

I'm not sure where you got the idea that on a 12month WHV you can only work on 3 month contracts. (this was the old system and is no longer valid)

My partner and i just moved from Ireland to NZ and our WHV states that we can work for a 12 month period in NZ once we do not sign a permanent contract.

I don't think you will have any problem getting a Skilled Migrant visa once you arrive. As far as i am aware it is easier apply once you are here as time spent working in NZ will help increase your points for Permanent Res.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yup, there's no limit on how long you work for one company. That has been changed. You can work for the whole year for one company but it has to be on a contract - you cannot be employed permanently. My work just gave me a fixed term contract until the day my WHV expires. My other visa should be in by then. They've said they'll give me a perm contract when my visa arrives.

My advice is, if you want to stay on and are eligible for another visa apply for it as soon as you can. It can take a while to come in (I discovered this the hard way and had to fork out more money for another visa to keep me going untilthe first one I applied to came through.)

Advertisement