Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to save on Income tax?

• 01-01-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all. Starting a new job on Monday and will be receiving a good salary. However my question is this, what is the best way to save on income tax?
    My wage will be considerably above the standard rate cut off point so incedently will be paying alot of tax.
    I have heard that buying into some pension schemes can save on tax payments?? Also will i be entitled to rent allowance as i will be renting in the coming months..

Any help greatly appreciated and obviously i would like to hear legal alternatives for saving tax :)

Michael.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You won't be getting rent allowance, not on a good salary paying 41% tax.
    If you rent in private accomadation you can claim rent relief but it ain't much, maybe 350-400 per year.

There are many things you can claim back on but being a PAYE worker has less opportunites for this then being self-employed.

All the info is on www.revenue.ie

The main area to look at will be health and medical bills.
    Rent relief/ mortgage interest relief
    Union fees and do check out pension schemes but remember the value of many schemes have collapsed. Is it a good time to invest in a private pension scheme? Maybe or maybe not, do research first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

mikemac wrote: »
    You won't be getting rent allowance, not on a good salary paying 41% tax.
    If you rent in private accomadation you can claim rent relief but it ain't much, maybe 350-400 per year.

There are many things you can claim back on but being a PAYE worker has less opportunites for this then being self-employed.

All the info is on www.revenue.ie

The main area to look at will be health and medical bills.
    Rent relief/ mortgage interest relief
    Union fees and do check out pension schemes but remember the value of many schemes have collapsed. Is it a good time to invest in a private pension scheme? Maybe or maybe not, do research first

+1

The maximum rent relief available for someone renting private accommodation is 400 euro. Its works out at 20 percent up to a maximum of 2000 euro rent paid.

Be aware though that if you have a mortgage and are renting a room say close for work reasons you are not entitled to claim rent relief if you are already claiming mortgage interest relief (TRS credits).

Also if you are paying waste service charges, bins etc you are entitled to claim 20 percent of up to 400 euro=80euro max provided your charges are paid up to date and on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Paying into a pension is the most efficient way of paying less tax.

You'll find much more information on the pensions board website www.pensionsboard.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

The tax relief on pensions such as PRSA, RAC etc is calculated in relation to your age and is expressed as a percentage of your gross income - this equalls the maximum amount that you can claim relief on per year i.e
    Say you earn 50,000 p/a and your age is 27 then the maximum amount that you can claim relief on is 50,000 @ 15% = 7,500.
    So if you are contributing up to 7500 of your income a year into a pension then you will get relief on this amount at the marginal rate of tax i.e in your case at 41%.
    If you are paying more into a pension i.e say you are paying 10,000 a year then you will only receive relief on 7500 of it.
    The 15% is calculated in accordance with your age.
    Up to 30 = 15%
    Up to 40 = 20%
    Up to 50 = 25% etc. etc. etc

After 50 the percentages change but you can get this info on the Revenue website.
    Hope I haven't confused you! Any questions let me know! :)

Advertisement