Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help re weight loss

• 01-01-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for some advice on how to lose weight. I'm female, 5'2 and just over 12 stone, so realistically I'm looking at losing about 3 stone... ouch even saying that hurts...

So now i'm about 3 stone over weight and want to lose it and keep it off. I exercise a little bit every day, i cycle to and from work (about 15/20 mins each way) and i play a sport a couple of times a week, although its not exactly exerting.
    I'll be increasing this an awful lot hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm hoping to go roller blading a mile or 2 a couple of nights a week with the boyf and i'm starting a dance class in mid January.

My main problem is that i need to eat every couple of hours as otherwise i feel very faint and get quite grumpy.
    I try to eat as healthy as possible, but i really detest salads in a major way, i don't like a lot of vegetables, mostly stick to carrots and broccoli and some stir fry vegetables and over compensate with mushrooms, and am allergic to any fruit that could be considered more exotic than an apple...
    With this in mind could anyone suggest some healthy, filling meals that might aid in losing some weight...
    Sorry for the long post...all help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭acorntoast

You could use http://fitday.com to track your calories for a week or two, just to see what you are really consuming, and whether this is correct for your height. You should create a calorie deficit, i.e. eat less than you expend, this will cause you to burn energy stored in your body. If you keep your calories at a safe and lower level - the generally accepted minimum is at least 1200 calories a day, you will lose weight. You can also track your exercise there, and set up an achievable weight goal for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭twentysomething

Hi acorntoast,
    Thanks a million, that looks brilliant, i can keep track of everything there.
    Do you use it much, and how useful do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭acorntoast

Hi acorntoast,
    Thanks a million, that looks brilliant, i can keep track of everything there.
    Do you use it much, and how useful do you find it?

Hey twentysomething I use it all the time, I really love it. I've been using it pretty much constantly for a year :eek: I find it just keeps me 100% on the straight and narrow with food, especially as I can even see how I'm doing nutritionally and then take steps to counteract wherever I'm a bit deficient - for instance I've started putting psyllium husk in my smoothies occasionally to help me hit my fibre RDA.

Also - it really really helped me to stop drinking as OMG when you see those bad calories mounting it's such a wake up call. I personally would much rather a great meal out than a few glasses of wine a few nights a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ninnyninball

Hi Twentysomething

I am in the same boat ...I'm 5'5 and weighed mylsef for the first time since Christmas and I'm 12s8p. Id really like to lose 3 stone but find it very hard to keep motivated. I do a little bit of walking everyday but nothing major. I think the old routine of small healthy portions and a lot of hard work are needed ...there are no magic pill sunfortunatley

Hi Ninny...cool name!
    I have been doing pretty well so far, although have hit a few snags!
    Started on my health kick on Monday after doing a monster healthy food shop on Sunday!
    I had some cereal for breakfast, kellogs Start and a glass of OJ.
    Had an apple for a snack, gave in and had a bikkie at break time tho.. mushroom soup and 2 of those hexagon roll thingys for lunch an activia for a snack and some stir fry and rice for dinner, and about 6 grapes for a quick snack before bed. I also cycled the couple of miles or so to and from work, do this every day and went for a walk that evening with the boyf, we estimated that it was about 4 miles?

Yesterday was when the problems started, i had the bowl of cereal for brekkie as usual, munched away on some grapes for a snack throughout the day, had leftover stir fry for lunch and had an activia for a snack, and by 5 o clock i felt so lightheaded i thought i was going to pass out! One of the girls made me drink a can of coke to give me a bit of a sugar rush! I was not able to cycle home, i had to get the boyf to come and get me. Felt better as soon as i had dinner of some spag bol! NOt the healthiest i know, especially as it was with sauce from a jar, but i needed something urgently! Had some home made popcorn, ie the kernels you pop yourself in the pan, 3 squares of choc and an activia before bed... still not feeling the best today i have to admit, still have traces of the hunger headache i had yesterday...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Pretty much the same dimensions here. it seems like such a lot to lose and an unattainable goal but if you read through any of those weightwatchers threads and see what people have achieved and how they kept going even if they lost no weight some weeks it really is an inspiratation.

Now I'm going to get on my exercise bike and do 20 minutes before I start the dinner:)

I know sometimes its so hard...I thought I was being great today having brown bread with low fat cheese, low fat ham and low fat mayo with tomato until I counted the calories and it added up to 700!! each slice of the farmhouse brennans bread is 116 cals and its tiny (half the size of a normal slice)!! more than white bread! I'm trying to stick to 1500 cals a day so thats a big chunk for something that small!!

I joined www.sparkpeople.com its really good there are loads of good forums on it and lots of helpful hints.

Going to be getting back into the horse riding this month and i found that helped alot with toning before so fingers crossed. Trying to find another activity I will stick to because I find gyms unbearable! Do you have a date in mind for your goal weight?? Id love to have shed it all for the summer!

I'm averaging about 1600 or so calories a day, but trying not to calorie count too much! I'd like to have shed a stone or so by March, and continue from there! I'm starting a tap dancing class in a couple of weeks as i've always wanted to learn, and a friend is going to do it with me! Fun and exercise!
    Can anyone tell me if stretch marks go away as you lose weight, i don't want to be all skinny and stuff (fingers crossed!!) and still trying to hide them, damn flab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The cycling's good and stuff but if you don't get your heart rate up to a certain point where you're be burning fat.
    I lost weight through the following:
    No wheat, check the labels
    As a general rule No chipper, no Chinese, no Indian etc. I might have chips once a week now but that's it.
    Less dairy but no milk
    No sugar where possible although you obviously give in the odd time
    Far less alcohol
    That and I walked a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm averaging about 1600 or so calories a day, but trying not to calorie count too much! I'd like to have shed a stone or so by March, and continue from there! I'm starting a tap dancing class in a couple of weeks as i've always wanted to learn, and a friend is going to do it with me! Fun and exercise!
    Can anyone tell me if stretch marks go away as you lose weight, i don't want to be all skinny and stuff (fingers crossed!!) and still trying to hide them, damn flab!

After having babies I shouldn't really comment on stretchmarks:o I lost quite a bit after my first baby and the stretchmarks faded enough that I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered by them anymore but I wouldn't say they went completely. Bio oil is supposed to be the biz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Weight watchers is the best way of tracking things. Plus the weekly weigh in really helps keep you motivated. You can snack throughout the day, on carrots, 0 point soups etc., and really you won't be hungry. I never watched what I ate before WW, I am 5 7 and was 3 stone over weight, now I've lost half of it. Do it slowly and in a measured manner and it will come off and stay off.
    DON'T diet, just change how you think about food. Believe me I love my food, I'm a complete foodie, all my 36 recipe books now have every page pointed!! A bit of imagination and you're away with it.
    By the way Spag Bol isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world, just use extra lean mince, and tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, some dried Italian herbs, maybe some balsamic vinegar, then it's very low in fat, high in veggies, no added salt or sugar and tastes yummy. Plus way cheaper than buying the jars.

I have considered weight watchers, it would defo be worth it if it helped me get it off and keep it off. How much is it to join and for the weekly meetings??

The joining fee and first meeting are €20 and then €10 a week after that. It is a lot but really it's the only thing I can see working for me, as I think portion control was my issue and when I don't go that slips again.
    Plus for me it had the added advantage of getting me to meet other people in my area, as I was new and knew no-one. Now at least have people I can say hi to in the shops :-)
    Give it a go, aim for 1-2 lbs a week and that means in 6 months to a year it is all gone. You've hit target, then it's free so long as you stay with 5 or 7 lbs or something of your target, so you can maintain it. It also stops you going to the other extreme and getting too skinny.

Yeah I would hate to be too thin I want to keep the curves defo. Really just want to be a healthy weight according to the BMI scale I'm in a high risk zone so that defo not good. There is a WW in my area so I'll defo be going to that! I've tried doing it myself but can't stay motivated.

Yep motivation is the big thing. I keep a really fat picture of me on my fridge (the horrible thing is the MIL has it hanging in her house!!), and I threw out or donated my bigger clothes, therefore if my clothes get a bit tight I know I'm being bold, and when they're loose I will get rid of these too and go back hopefully to my size 12's for the first time in about 5-6 years :-). Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Maryan1

Hi all,

I just joined motivation clinic this week. had tried ww and it is good but not great for catering for the individual. motivation is pretty expensive but i have about 2/2.5 stone to loose and just haven't managed to shift it. i've been sticking to the diet and actually can't believe that i feel quite full most of the time. there's nothing really that you can't eat but it's all about balancing the food groups and keeping the carbs low. I'll be going for my first weigh in next week so fingers crossed!

I'd love to keep my curves, always had hips, but only developed boobs when i put on the weight and i really want to keep them...:(
    I'm not gonna go down the WW way yet, i'm determined that i can do it myself, sticking pretty well to healthy snacks as opposed to crisps or chocolate! I'm going down to buy a rowing machine this evening after work so i dont even have to leave the house to exercise, and therefore have no excuse not to do it! I discovered a few years ago that i really like to row, so hopefully this will be the boot up the backside i need!
    I was looking at the ads for motivation on the tv and they look pretty good, so let us know how you get on Maryan.
    I also joined smartpeople ninnyninball, it looks pretty good, although i cant enter in alot of the things i eat in place of some of their suggestions, but i like the way they set goals!
    "
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twentysomething viewpost.gif

After having babies I shouldn't really comment on stretchmarksredface.gif I lost quite a bit after my first baby and the stretchmarks faded enough that I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered by them anymore but I wouldn't say they went completely. Bio oil is supposed to be the biz "

I bought Bio oil a while back, but i keep forgetting to put the damn thing on after i shower, i'm obviously still too asleep in the mornings!!

yeah I need a boot in my backside myself! I think the idea of keeping a really bad pic of yourself with you at all times for when you get tempted to be bold in a good idea!I have a fair few of those haha

I've just started posting in the food diary section, so that im more accountable.
    I'm going to take this very seriously and am determined to succeeed at this!

Yeah keeping track of what you eat (honestly) makes it easier to be good. Defo what to do it this time its gone beyond vanity its for health reasons at this stage.

• Advertisement

So i went and bought the rowing machine last night, looking forward to assembling it and getting going, although it might be Sunday by the the time i get round to it, as i'm heading out tonight and home to the parentals for the weekend in the morn... tonight may set me back a little, but i've been doing pretty good yesterday and today!
    Finally also bought a digital scales as well as i wasnt fully sure what weight i was.
    I thought i was about 12 stone 2 maybe 3, imagine my horror when i stepped on the scale and it said 12 stone 9...
    I had read though that you weigh more in the evenings, so i weighed myself again this morning, and i was 12 stone 4...thats 5 pounds overnight! So despite being a little heavier than i thought i was, it's a lot better than what i had last night.
    Now i can keep proper track of my progress, really shouldv'e got the scales last week though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bam33

Hi All,

I am in the same boat. I am 5ft 4 and weight 12stone 8lb. I want to lose 3 stone before June - Is this possible? I am joining the gym this evening and hope to get a fitness plan drawn up to help me out - I am also starting spinning classes tomorrow night which I will go to twice a week. If I go to the gym twice a week and spinning twice a week and try to eat healthy can I shed 3 stone by June??

Any addiional advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mari09

Hi Twentysomething,

Just said I'd add my little bit to the thread. Its my first post. I've lost just over 2 stone so far with Motivation Weight management clinics. Its the first time anything has worked for me - I tried Weight Watchers (its great but I couldnt stick to it - I was hungry all the time), Tony Quinn food suppliments, EasySlim (cost me a fortune - only stuck at it for two days), Paul McKenna, every diet pill on the market! I also did Curves and joined two gyms but couldnt keep it up - I lacked the staying power I suppose. I was 14stone 6lbs and heading for serious obesity. I was starting to have IBS, serious allergies, headaches and all manner of problems but thankfully things are improving now. Its an expensive program - private one-to-one consultations every week, high protein food supplements (which keep the hunger away) and a healthy eating and exercise plan. There are also motivational CDs and books which help me a lot. I have loads of energy and I feel great! People are always asking me how I'm losing the weight. For the first time I think I can maintain it - I'm not worried about putting it back on when the program is over. Its about changing your lifestyle and behaviour. I'd definately recommend it but as I say it cost a lot. As regards the exercise, I walk the dog three times a week for a half hour and it seems to be working. I lose about 1 - 4 lbs a week though I must admit to cheating for one or two weeks (those weeks I didnt lose anything:-) If you've any questions about it just ask. Best of Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

Hi Bam33

The recommended rate for losing weight is 1-2lbs per week and we've 18 weeks until the start of June, so at this rate you could lose around 2st 8lbs by June, bringing you to a nice round number of 10st. In reality this rate isn't always achievable but it's certainly possible!

One thing I would suggest about the exercise is that, at least to begin with, 4 days a week might be too much. I know that if it was me then I just wouldn't find time, I'd feel bad about not going, then be at risk of packing it in altogether!

What about doing the spinning class once and the workout once to begin with, adding in an extra weekend session if you're feeling brave. If you find you can fit in all 4 sessions then go for it, just don't fall into the trap of burning out early on. In addition to the gym try being more active day to day, stupid things like taking the stairs, walking to the shops instead of driving - they all add up :)

Good luck!

Thanks Serafijn,

When you break it down like that it seems like I could do it. It doesn't seem so big a hurdle now. I would be happy enough to be 10st by June. I would be able to fit the 4 sessions in during the week as I like to take the weekends off where possible. However I have started to take the dog for a good walk on a Saturday or Sunday which should help too.

I know if I get too strict I wont stick to it so I will allow myself one takeaway at the weekend if I feel like it. Would it still be possible to lose 1-2lb a week if I have a treat at the weekend?

Mari09
    Do you mind me asking what the cost would be for me to join the motivation program?

Hi Bam 33,

I paid for 20 weeks up front and I think if I remember rightly it was around €500/550ish but my next meeting is on this Thursday - I'm signing up for another 10 weeks at least so I'll post the exact price for you then. You have to pay for protein supplements each week such as soup, cookies, bars, cereals (theres a whole range of foods). They cost €15 for a weeks supply. I have to take 3 supplements each day because of my height - I'm 5'7". So thats three boxes a week - €45. Its an expensive programme but its working wonders with me.

Just to give you an idea - A typical days eating for me is Breakfast @ 7am - Boiled Egg, Grilled mushrooms and 2 Ryvitas & orange juice, Snack at 11am Protein Bar or Cookie with Coffee, Lunch @ 1/1:30 Wrap with Chicken, Lettuce, Tomato and Salsa, Apple, Snack at 4pm Activia Yoghurt, Protein Supplement of choice, babybel cheese, dinner @ 6:30 Cod fillet with mangetouts, green beans, carrots and 1/2 baby boiled potatoes followed by protein supplement jelly, snack grapes. So you can see I eat a alot! The whole idea is that you eat regularly keeping your blood sugar levels up so you dont get cravings. I used to go for a whole day without eating anything and then I'd eat a load of junk food in the evenings because I'd be so hungry.

Also, theres a serious limit on carbs - I can have two/three portions a day. 1 portion for example is two tablespoons of cooked pasta (not a lot) but I feel better for it - less bloated. i used to eat a lot of carbs.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Mari

Thanks Mari.

This is a great help. Thank you. I can see it is expensive but if it is working for you it is well worth it. Plus you are learning what to eat and when to eat it. You seem to get to eat loads. I'm sure there is no way anyone would be hungry on that plan. Someone else had said to me that eating throughout the day (healthy options) is the way to go. I am going to try it until the end of this month along with the excerecise to see how it goes and if that is not working I will consider joining the motivation program. You seem to be very happy with it and you are doing great.

I'm sure I will be on here looking for advice and encouragment over the next few weeks:)

Hi Bam33,

Best of luck with it, I'm sure you'll have great results!:) They tell us in Motivation that you're allowed to cheat but not give up. So if you have a slip just get right back up and keep going. That was my problem before, if I had a slip I would beat myself up over it and loose heart and quit whatever programme i was on.

Let me know how you're getting on.

Mari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Bam33 wrote: »
    Thanks Mari.

This is a great help. Thank you. I can see it is expensive but if it is working for you it is well worth it. Plus you are learning what to eat and when to eat it. You seem to get to eat loads. I'm sure there is no way anyone would be hungry on that plan. Someone else had said to me that eating throughout the day (healthy options) is the way to go. I am going to try it until the end of this month along with the excerecise to see how it goes and if that is not working I will consider joining the motivation program. You seem to be very happy with it and you are doing great.

I'm sure I will be on here looking for advice and encouragment over the next few weeks:)

In all likelihood the person you are talking to is a shill. Please dont consider even going down this route. 700+ euro just to learn what you can read for free on this forum? Think about it.
    I have to take 3 supplements each day because of my height - I'm 5'7". So thats three boxes a week - €45.

Scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yesterday was when the problems started, i had the bowl of cereal for brekkie as usual, munched away on some grapes for a snack throughout the day, had leftover stir fry for lunch and had an activia for a snack, and by 5 o clock i felt so lightheaded i thought i was going to pass out! One of the girls made me drink a can of coke to give me a bit of a sugar rush! I was not able to cycle home, i had to get the boyf to come and get me. Felt better as soon as i had dinner of some spag bol! NOt the healthiest i know, especially as it was with sauce from a jar, but i needed something urgently! Had some home made popcorn, ie the kernels you pop yourself in the pan, 3 squares of choc and an activia before bed... still not feeling the best today i have to admit, still have traces of the hunger headache i had yesterday...

Hi twentysomething, I'm a bit concerned that you get lightheaded so easily and 'need' food to restore you, especially sugary foods. I recommend that you go to your GP and ask for blood tests. Let him know you are about to start on increasing your exercise and modifying your food intake. He will probably test your cholesterol, blood sugar and lipid levels. Ask him if he will be testing these. It's recommended that most people who embark on major lifestyle changes get these tests anyway but your posts indicate that this is a definite need in your case :) Just to be sure :)

On a more positive note, :) good on you for starting out on this road. Do take time to read the nutrition stickies on this forum, if you get tired wading through the calculations needed etc then at least read g'ems post about good foods and bad foods.

Increase your protein intake, if you have to eat carbohydrates (we all need some carbs!!) then make them wholemeal breads/pastas, brown rice etc. Even at that, cut back on them. Eat some oily fish.

Five years ago, the ONLY fish I ate was battered cod and even that was only on occasion :o, these days I eat tuna, sardines, salmon, mackerel, kippers. It takes time to readjust a diet, do it slowly. A good way of getting veg into you is to make homemade soups.

Steam a load of different vegetables, soften some onions by boiling them, add all the veg and onions to a blender, add the water you used to steam the veg to the mix, blend it all until it's soupy then add some pepper to taste :)

/be careful blending using hot water, you can use cold if you like and heat it up again. :)

Advertisement